Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Multiple Cycles- The risks?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  EDT 
#1 ·
Hi Girls,
I need some advice.  We are thinking about embarking on our 6th cycle of IVF (we already have a 3year old daughter thanks to Mr T) but I am concerned about the risks associated with multiple cycles ie breast, womb and ovarian cancer.
Have any of you ladies undergone 6 or more cycles and if so what are your opinions on the risks of multiple cycles?
I have asked the Drs at ARGC about the risks and they can't really provide any answers. (I guess no-one really knows!)
Good luck to you all.  I truely believe you are at the best clinic in the UK
Thanks
EDT

#2 ·
#3 ·
EDT - I'm going to do my 9th cycle in the New Year - which will be my 4th with the argc. Non of the doctors I've seen have ever mentioned this theory to me - but I know it has been mentioned to other ladies. They seem particularly concerned if you have needed maximum doses of drugs during the stimulation phase - but it only seems to get mentioned when they are trying to gently persuade you to look at other routes for achieving pregnancy. 

Spin x

#4 ·
I'm on 9th as well and nothing adverse so far Ive asked about this as well but never been told anything adverse, also I know ladies after 2 cycle develop cancer, and the odds of the normal population developing cancers is high, my view is that I can't worry about everything as I could get run over by a bus.

L x

#5 ·
Hi Girls,
Thanks for your replies.  We are finding it very difficult deciding whether or not to go ahead with this cycle; we abandoned a cycle midway through in the summer as we started to panic about the risks, but I feel as though I should give it one more go.
Spin- you mentioned that Drs think the risks are higher with higher doses of stims, we were on 600 of menopur would this be described as a high dose?
Good luck to you all
EDT

#6 ·
EDT - I have had cancer of the cervix 3 times and as a result have recently had to have a completely new cervix built!
I am about to start my 3rd round in jan / feb next year. I have had 2 previous rounds both on the maximum dose of menopur 800 and I have been told by the ARGC I will be on maximum dose again, but I have been told by my consultant that should be fine? ARGC were also not concerned, but I have heard them mention it to people in the past as a risk.
I guess each person will be different, but I am certainly going for one more go...
Have you thought of doing natural IVF instead?
I do agree with JJ1 a certain % of the population get cancer anyway and the % undergoing ivf is probably no great than it would have been anyway - but don't quote me on that!!!!

#7 ·
EDT - I'm afraid I've never used menopur before so not sure on the doses but guess it is pretty similar to the ones I've used. I've used gonal-f, merinol and fostimon. On my last couple of cycles I've had 600iu on day 1 -2, 450 iu on day 3 -4 and then down to 300iu for the rest of the stimming phase - although all the cycles before this I've been on alot lower doses. Not sure if that helps...

Spin x

#8 ·
Menopur is exactly the same as Merional just a different brand.

High doses for the ARCG are 600 but they reduce the dose for most people as you move through the stimming days. 800 sounds a lot especially if you were on this all the way through stimming.

Marie x

#9 ·
Hi

Sorry to butt in but TB2306, I've never heard of any uk clinic giving 800iu? I thought the ARGC was the highest at 600??? And as Spin and Marie have said, you don't stay on that dose for the whole time either...

♥JJ1♥ said:
my view is that I can't worry about everything as I could get run over by a bus.
Yeah! Whut she said!!!

Love to all

xxx

#10 ·
Hiya, I was deffo on 800 - honest!!!

I has to mix 8 vials per shot it was a nightmare....

The ARGC said that was the maximum dose, but it wasn't with them I did it, it was with the Liverpool womens.

On my first SP they started me on 600 but then upped it to 800 on my second one it was 800 the whole time?

Didn't bloody work either !!!!

#11 ·
Hiya

TB hon, each vial is 0.75iu so 8 vials is 600iu...  Or am I missing summat ???

I wonder why they didn't try you on a different stim med tho as that mega high dose of menopur obviously wasn't helping...  I'd definitely make that clear at your next appy with the ARGC, thankfully they're a bit more flexible about drugs and dosages than most other clinics!

xxx

#12 ·
Hiya Nix,

Actually maybe you are right as I only had 8 vials?? Excuse my thickness  ^idiot^

You are deffo right that it obviously wasn't right for me at all! Dr D has told me I will be on the short protocol again but not what meds. I will be sure to raise the point you mentioned. At least they will be checking progress every day unlike Liverpool who checked it just once on a scan mid treatment! So hopefully whatever they put me on will work better at ARGC.

Going back to what EDT was originally worried about, I was already high cancer risk, having had it 3 times and my consultant was happy for me to go on the high dose twice, and is also happy for me to have a third go at ARGC....

#13 ·
Hi Girls,
Thank you all so much for your replies.  TB2306 I am really sorry to hear that you have had cancer 3 times already- you certainly sound like a very brave and determined woman.  I really hope this works out for you as you are certainly due some good luck.
AFM- after a blood test at the clinic on Sunday, lots of reading articles on the internet and talking to DH and friends, we have decided to give it one last go.  Very strange as on the 5 previous cycles I have never had any major concerns but this time I am absolutely petrified.  I realise I am so lucky to already have a beautiful DD and always thought that would be enough but now feel the need to provide her with a sibling.
Good luck to you all
I'm off to have my first injection of suprefact!!
EDT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.