Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

multiples on Clomid? What odds were you given?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jocole69 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I thought I'd ask the mums... did you or do you know anyone who had twins/triplets/more  :eek: on Clomid?  Also, what odds were you given at your hospital of conceiving multiples on clomid?

Just a discussion I had with a friend... the odds here of conceiving more than one are really high but I haven't heard of it happening to many people.

Thanks xx

#2 ·
of the ladies that have had babies + are on the clomid bumps + babes list they are all singletons but that is only a percentage of ladies who have fell PG on clomid

i was given clomid even though i ovulated naturally + although the packet says hightened risk of multiples fert nurse said the chances were still very slim

xxx 

#3 ·
I was also told that although there was a chance that it was very slim.

xxx

#5 ·
Im friends with someone ( not through the site tho) and she has had clomid twins. Theyre just a few weeks older than my 2.  :)  So it does happen occassionally!!!!

S
xx

#6 ·
Hi,

I am in the extremely lucky position to have had 3 clomid pregnancies and all were singletons (I did have a lot of strange bleeding, spotting etc with the 1st and there was talk at the time that I may have lost a twin very very early but i'm not convinced).

However, I do know someone who had clomid twins in January and she conceived them on her first ever clomid cycle  :eek:

I really can't remember what the odds are though and I guess it really depends on the indiviuals diagnosis and the dosage they are given too

S xxx

#7 ·
I was told 10% of people conceived had multiples (the vast majority of them twins, the risk of HOM is tiny) but that the chance of conceiving at all is pretty small, so overall the risk of multiples is far less than IVF.

#8 ·
I posted this very question when we were considering no.2 and the result was the same, it seemed nobody on FF had actually concieved multiples with clomid but two people knew people who had clomid conceived twins.  I had a similar experience to Shelley and it was hinted that perhaps I lost a twin but I think its highly unlikely as I had many scans between 5 and 12wks.

I was told by the fertility clinic 1 in 10 concieve multiples  :), it seems this is likely to be an over exagerated number.

Bev xx

#9 ·
Well cons has just upped my dose and when I asked about the risk he said it's just that a risk but rarely happens in reality but they have to warn you?  ??? Watch this space!!!  ;D

xxx

#10 ·
How many!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:  That would be an expensive trip to Start Rite!!

Thanks for the answers...I dont know anyone who had more than one with clomid but lots of singletons.  my friend seemed to think that the odds were higher than that with IVF which I find strange to believe..  I think here doctors are over cautious perhaps and like you pointed out, they have to warn you of the possibility.

x

#11 ·
Hi,  I took clomid (50mg) for 5 months then came off of it cos i had cysts but then concieved 6 weeks later. I was never told there was an extra chance of twins or multiples with it though??  I didnt know there was...

Good luck

Jo xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.