Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Before my 4 month old started teething a few weeks ago he'd have a couple of good quick middle of the night feeds and I'd put him back in his bedside cot - I would usually dose off but only very quickly as he'd soon finish.  Now he's at my breast for much longer I  fall asleep for longer and deeper and I can't help worry that he might roll of and get suffocated.  Even in a chair I think I'd nod off and that would be even more dangerous.  There is nowhere to roll off from our bed but I do use pillows to prop me up as I feed and then there is the big deep sleeping husband factor on one side!  Although I normally wake up when he moves, as I'm getting more and more tired I'm worried I won't.  Any tips please - on not falling asleep or making things safer?  Surely it is normal to fall asleep while feeding due to the hormones? I even fall asleep if I've got up to go to the loo first. I can't side feed lying down comfortably )I thin cos my breasts are too small)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I co-slept and bf my dd through the night, many many mums do so safely.

I decided to get rid of all the pillows and tucked the duvet under the mattress at waist height so there was no chance of DD getting covered, tbh I think that was abit over the tp looking back, but it stopped me worring. We didn't sleep with DH, but i think the advice is for you to be in the middle with baby on one side and dh on the other.

I'd have another go at feeding laying down, it is very good. Have you tried having your baby in the crook of your arm/ flat on the mattress. I used a pillow behind my back to stop me rolling away from DD. Also I finally learnt after months how to feed from both breasts while staying on one side. You sort of half roll onto your stomach with your arm bent and above baby. (sorry not a great description) Also the older they get the easier it is to feed them laying down.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
We co-slept with ds2 and I was actually given a leaflet from my HV about safe co-sleeping.

I preferred ds2 to be in the middle as I was worried he'd fall out but I always made sure dh knew her was there (sometimes ds2 would start in his own bed, sometimes straight in with us depending on when everyone went to bed), pillows would be well out of the way and the quilt down and tucked under me. I slept on my side with an arm out straight above ds2's head then my legs bent up under him, not only meaning I wouldn't roll but also should dh roll he'd 'hit' me rather than ds2.

When I fed ds1 I would sit up with him and try desperately to stay awake - sometimes I managed it, sometimes I didn't, but I felt ds2 was much safer when I fed him lying down with the intention of sleeping rather than dosing off when sat up. Has Hetty says, perhaps try feeding lying down again but roll onto your tummy a bit more?

Chux xx

·
Registered
999 Posts
Oh that Oxytocin!  Used to make me feel like what I would imagine it to feel if you're stoned  (not that I've ever been stoned)!!  t was always difficult for me not to fall asleep, day or night!

For us, once Kara's asleep at about 7pm I put her in her cot until 2am if she wakes then I settle her back to sleep and put her in her cot.  However when she wakes after about 2am (when the house is chilly) then I always nurse Kara in our bed and we both fall asleep.  To be honest I've pretty well always dozed off, but once I realised this was happening on a regular basis I made sure that Kara and I were safely propped on pillows.  I lay in a kind of 'sun lounger' position, Kara nurses in the crook of my arm which is also supported by pillows.  This way Kara is surrounded by my body, not any pillows.  We also used a bolster pillow between Neil and I, but now Kara is older we don't use that.

I too tried the side laying position, but found I got cold, and got back ache.  But it's all about trial and error.  I also know people who used the side-sleeper cot and really got on well with that, but it wouldn't work with our bed, so we never bought one.

Perhaps research into safe co-sleeping options and see if there are any that work for you all.  Wishing you lots of luck.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Just want to say I have small breasts and with a bit of practice was able to master the feeding lying down so i hope that gives you some encouragement that it can be done no matter what size you are...as chux said one arm above babe and legs bent up below babe to prevent rolling, then its just a case of getting at the right angle for their mouth...I did find it helped to have DH position bubs at first.

I'd also have her at the outer edge of the bed so DH, me then her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.