Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New home mums

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi everyone

I have just put our olan mills piccies in the gallery. The one of Benjamin crawling is the one they have sent off for their portfolio.

Hope you like them

Karen & Benjamin

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi,
Just a quick post to say that Rebecca can now roll from her back to her tummy! She's been threatening to do it for weeks but struggled with the arm underneath her.
Her face is a picture when she does it, she's so chuffed with herself. After a few minutes though, she has a paddy cos she can't crawl yet and it's bugging her.

Gill xxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Forgot one of my claims to fame. 2 years ago I met Princess Anne at an opening for something I'd done in work. Made a right prat of myself too ::) Basically, one of her bodyguards on the day was gooooorgeous, so I was having a chin wag with him (as you do ;) ) and had my back to the room. Before I know it he nods to me that she's coming my way and so I turn around, but realise I still have my back to her. Think to myself 'God, I'm being rude with my back to her' turn around to say hello and shake hands, etc. and she swaned straight past me and out of the exit :p Must've thought I was a right prat and decided not to bother with me ^chuckle^ Bodyguard followed her out too, so didn't even get a chance to say ta ta to him either ::) ;D

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Gill - Brilliant that Rebecca's on the move. Even though Ben can roll from back to tummy, sit up and support his weight in a standing position (if you stand him up against something first - can't actually pull himself up yet), he still can't roll back from his tummy to his back. Wierd! Wish he would work it out though as he gets so frustrated when stuck on his tum. Know what you mean about the crawling frustration too. When Ben's on his tummy he's pulling his knees under and rocking back and for but can't get anywhere and also when he's sitting he makes lunging forward movements while fixing his gaze on something he wants, and gets really annoyed when he can't move. Actually, I think he's going to have a right little temper on him. A few times recently he's tried to grab something he shouldn't, ie. my hair whilst having his bottle, and I've said no to him in a stern voice whilst moving his hand away and he gives me a right growl whilst tensing his body. He's better learn right here and now, he's not getting the better of me ;D Jack didn't do the usual terrible two's and I think I got off lightly. He never had a full blown tantrum in public - like you see kids having in the supermarket - but I don't think Ben's going to go so easy on me ;D

Jayne x

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
OMG!!!!!!! ^roflmao^

Woppa - thanks very much for refreshing my memory ^chuckle^

Jules xxx

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi all,

Jayne - Rebecca did a double roll this morning, back to tummy to back again. I think it shocked her a bit! She had her 6 month assessment with the Health Visitor today. She seems to be on track in terms of development, but her eczema is still a problem. She's got bright red, scabby cheeks at the minute but the rest of her body seems clear. The GP gave her something called Fucidin which seems to be keeping it under control. The HV said she'd refer her to a Dermatology nurse though, just to get her in the system.
Have you ever taken Ben swimming? I'd love to take Rebecca but i'm worried the chlorine will make her skin flare up.
Rebecca's got quite a temper too, goes with the red hair i think.

Karen u - The pics are lovely. I'm hoping to get some done soon.

Suemj - July 2002 seems like a different lifetime now. I really thought that was the end of the road. I don't want to sound awful, and i'm really sorry that you had to go through it as well, but it made it so much easier having someone to talk to who knew how i felt. I'm sorry if that sounded selfish, i didn't mean it to be, just want to say ta for being there.
Look at us now! Iestyn's gorgeous! I love my little Rebecca to bits, and now we're both hoping to have another!
I'd love to mention everyone but i can't for the life of me remember what was on the previous thread.

I've not really got any claims to fame, apart from kissing Stu Francis (Crackerjack!) at the Everyman Theatre in the 80's. Oh and Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden was in a local club once.

Can those of you who've been abroad give me some advice please?
If i can persuade dh to go on hols, what do i need to take for Rebecca? I know we'll need a fold up buggy, and i'll need the steriliser and bottles, but what about nappies, food and formula? Do i need to take those or can i buy then when i get there?

Gill xxx

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Just a quickie my biggest claim to fame was I had David Beckham on a flight - took him down to Spain to film the Pepsi ad! Had to do my demo right next to him, and he asked if he could go to toilet and I said No because the seatbelt sign was on - oooh the ecitement!!!

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Gill - I have taken Ben swimming and his skin was no worse afterwards. Just made sure I gave him a good rinse straight away and then a good bath and lots of cream that night. Maybe try Rebecca and see what happens. Hope she's okay, as babies love to swim (well, most do anyway ;D ).

Good news girls ;D Mum's dodgy patch of skin is a solar keratosis. So it is a skin cancer, but is in the very early stages and very easily treated. What a relief. The ones she's had on her leg were rodent ulcers, and the check up on those, show that the new looking ones haven't changed, and the old site where she's had 2 removed from is clear. So no recurrence there. I know most skin cancers are easy to treat if caught early, but it's hard not to panic a bit :p So good news all around this week really. Mum's okay and no one's worrying about Ben's hearing anymore either. Excellent! ;D

Hope everyone's okay. It's been quiet on this thread today.

Love

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Gill,

No I don't think you were being selfish - I think we both helped each other out at that awful time. I agree, it's not that I wished the same to happen to you, but it was nice to be able to have someone to chat to that 'understood'! Thank goodness, that's such a distant memory and hopefully not one that will rear it's ugly head in the future. Ta for being there for me too!

Gill - as far as travelling - I bought the steriliser bags, which had a couple of sterilising tabs in them which disolved when you filled the bags with 'normal' tap water. They would keep things sterilised up to 24 hours, but would sterilise stuff within 30 minutes.

I did take some nappies with me, but the local supermarket in Corfu stocked all Pampers ranges. I took a couple of cartons of milk and bought the ready measured up sachets of powdered formula. Although there were cans of formula, there were no brands I recognised.

I did take jars/tins of food but bought fromage frais for deserts. The supermarkets did have some jars - though not a huge selection, but I guess it would depend where you go.

Iestyn had almost a whole suitcase to himself with all his bits and Dion and I shared!!!!

It's easier than you would imagine.

Hope you manage to get away.

Just one tip though - Iestyn hates being strapped into anything for too long and loves to move/roll about, so when on the beach this was a bit of a problem, so we did buy a big inflatable 'pool' thingy for him to roll about in, which was grate as I didn't have to keep hold of him all the time and it meant he couldn't roll onto the sand/pebbles and grab handfuls to put in his mouth.

You may want to look into seeing if you could get one of those pop up sun shade tent things for her to lie in.

It is easier that it sounds!

Jayne - glad the news on your mum's skin cancer was as positive as it could possibly have been. All the best with her treatment.

Hope everyone else is well.

Love,

Sue xxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
458 Posts
Morning all,

Jayne - so pleased to hear that your mum is okay - big sigh of relief. I just sold my first thing on Ebay - some stamps from World War 2 - for.....wait for it......99p!!! Oh joy. There's no stopping me now ;D.

Sue - the pool thing for the beach sounds a really good idea. We took Jessica to see the sea while we were in Cornwall - she was fascinated with it. We bent her down to let her touch it. It was really cool.

Woppa - that is such a lovely story - well done the both of you. It is wonderful the love we feel and the reflection of seeing people with our little ones - that thought of 'I never thought I would see the day....'

Jac - just been reading back over the threads and saw your post about your little one taken for an angel. My sister lost a little girl at birth. She only lived for minutes. She had 4 boys already but had so desperately wanted a girl. Her name was Amber Louise. My sister eventually coped well with her loss but part of that process was helped along by writing her story on her website and starting a business named after her. Its sad and distressing but if anyone wants to read it the link is http://www.fast.net.au/wwalker/amberstory.html
Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Hello everyone else

Jessica slept through last night for the first time in what feels like ages. I think it's proberbly about 8 weeks since she slept without us having a peep out of her from 8.30pm to 7am. It was such bliss - particularly as she had been awake the previous night every hour from 2am and was taking a while to settle. Don't know if it was teething but now she has her first one through and the second one I'm sure will be here tomorrow, maybe she'll be sleeping through more often.

I went into work yesterday to contribute to an away day looking at prescribing guidelines and policy making. I sat there through the whole thing thinking I have been working at this organisation for 10 years now and the things we were trying to 'put right' yesterday are the things we were talking about 5 years ago and all the same gripes are still there. We just haven't moved on. I saw things in a different light in that we have a democratic leadership which makes us complacent when we could all really do with a boot up the rump a bit more.

Anyway - enough of that. I did get pangs leaving Jessica for the day but knowing she was with my mum and dad made it far easier than I'm expecting it to be when she goes to nursey.

We're off to babies-r-us today to shop for a new pushchair. Jessica is having her morning nap but they are laying a new path next door and at the moment they're using a sledge hammer to break the drive up so I don't think she'll be asleep for long.

Best go and get showered before she wakes up.

Love Angexxxxxx

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mel FC,

Just seen your post - missed it before. I hope Tarnnia is okay. The HV said to me at Jessica's 8 month check the other day that I have to watch out for her going crosseyed as the bridge of her nose is very wide and as it starts to grow out, she may go crosseyed looking at it ::). Both Jay and I have enormous hooters and I was hoping she would have a little petite nose but I suppose the width of her bridge is an indication that it is going to be enormous - ah well - she is still beautiful

Love Angexxxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi Ange

I have just read your sister's story, it has really touched me, send her my love.

Jules x

·
Registered
458 Posts
If anyone wanted to add a message on my sisters page, the mail contact is out of date - it is
[email protected]

Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Jac, Paula, Gill and Sarah, I've just had a stuff your stomach session at Pizza Hut with my mum and dad and Jessica - if I carry on like this I'll be ballooning again ;D Can't wait until next Wednesday.

Love Angexxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
260 Posts
Gill,
As Sue says, it is easier than you think.

I was able to buy Hipp organic jars in a (large) local supermarket in Italy and bio yogurts for days out. But we took quite a few jars and packets out with us to be safe at least until we found our feet.
Volvic and Evian are the bottled waters that seem to be recommended by most health visitors.
I took Boots sterilizing tablets with us but ended up rinsing everything in boiling water as well, as I felt there was a strong disinfectant-type smell and I wasn't sure whether it was putting Ben off.
Pampers nappies & wipes were all widely available. I had taken plenty with me and paid £40 excess baggage, only to find everything I needed there!

At the moment Boots are selling all-in-one sun protection outfits plus 'foreign legion' hats which we got for Ben for swimming in. It was great not having to worry as much about him potentially burning as only his face, ankles and wrists were uncovered.

the only 'gadget' I took was a cloth travelling chair harness from the NCT catalogue which meant we could sit Ben in almost any chair and not need a highchair (just as well as they were few and far between in Italy).

To sum up, in retrospect I took far too much stuff out with us BUT we did have a large supermarket close to us. Anywhere more remote and I might have been glad to have familiar things to hand. I guess it depends on where you are thinking of going.

Travelling with a young baby proves that in fact most people are extremely helpful. The budget airlines tend to allow you to board first. Do have something to eat or drink handy on the plane for take-off and something to distract your little gem when they start pulling the person in front's hair ^chuckle^

Flo and Ben
x

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi everyone

Sorry not to post to everyone individually today although can I just say well done Woppa & Dougie, glad you crossed that bridge.

I am knackered and off for an early night even tho I know I will be woken up twice probably ;)

I just have to tell you my "little" story from yesterday.

It was my turn to host lunch for my NCT group (ladies who lunch, wahey!)

Usually not everyone turns up, but yesterday all of the 7 other Mums & babies came. I had also invited a friend with her two (baby & toddler). The weather forecast had been good so I'd got Neil to put up Mum;s gazebo in the garden so we could put all the babies under it, but unfortunatley at 12 o clock it was p**ing down, so everyone was crammed into my living room, if you can imagaine, 9 adults, 10 babies and all the stuff they come with!!!!

Anyway were just in the middle of eating lunch when someone casually mentioned they had seen something small and furry running from under the TV cabinet to the far wall.

On further investigation, it turned out my cat had obviously caught a vole (something she is unfortunately in the habit of) the night before and kindly left it in the living room for us to entertain us all...so thoughtful :p

Anyway this darn thing ran up the curtains and was doing a trapeze show along the curtain pole for the babies, while several Mums tried to capture it raiding my cupboards for mops, brooms, plastic gloves and stuff. The cat meanwhile was totoally oblivious alseep on the bed upstairs!

In the end it escaped round the back of a bookcase which was to heavy to move, so as by this time the sun was just about showing I suggested we all better get out into the garden and I would shut the door on it & Neil could fish it out when he got home from work ::)

So off we all trouped.

But, the scary thing is, Neil couldn;t find it when he got back. So....where did it go?!!!!

I was so embarassed to have invited all these Mums & Bubs round to a vermin infested home...but we did all have a laugh about it luckily no-one took offence.

The only worry i have is it made it's way into someones handbag (or changing bag - yuk!!!!) before we removed them all...!!!!

Other than that it has died somewhere and will probably start ponging soon. But not to worry, we're moving out soon...

Well I'm off now as SIL & 3 yr old niece coming to stay for the weekend so if I think I'm tired now I will be on hands & knees by Monday,

love to everyone & have a lovely weekend!

Vicky & Toby xxxx

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Dear Woppa

I am so so pleased that you had a good day out at Largs. (Brought back some memories here too ... Largs was used as one of the outward bound centres from school! :eek:)

Anyway, to use a quote from you ....
woppa said:
I'm so proud of myself for doing it and enjoying it--thought my heart would burst seeing Dougie pushing our daughter in her pram.
I am so proud of you too! Well done!
And your description of Dougie with Eva has just managed to bring tears to my eyes! ;) Perfect!!!!!

I bet Eva's wee pressie will be forever treasured.

Lots of Love
Dee
xxx
;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
ohh vicky i did laugh ;D

well girls im back in the land of living..cor what a day yesterday..thanks to karen doing a little thread for me.

my op went well...well sort off they wanted to give me a clear out and to remove a cyst..but instead they removed one of my tubes and clipped the other..didnt expect it nor did dh :'(. he said it was rotton and needed to go..he was such a careful chap as he managed to do it through key hole..as he said he might have to bring me back for a proper op which would involve a large inssision :(.but he managed to do it without problems. cant believe how quick i was in and out,i was in theatre at 9 and back home just after 4...i felt awful on my way home that i threw up all in our car :'( :'( i was soooo ashamed !

so fet will be delayed till oct/nov as need to be checked that ive healed first.

so thanks for your wishes...im glad yesterday is over and slowly i can recover and play with poor jack who hasnt a clue why im not playing with him.

has anyone else had tubes removed/clipped and went for fet?

love to you all xx

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
SOrry to be quick.....monster been kicking off and fighting going to bed for the past 3hrs ! I'm feeling a bit wound up!

Anyway......very quickly

Jayne....Your mums new has made my day...I know its still cancer but very early and you sound a lot happier hun...so good luck with the treatment and love to you & her from us xxxx

Woppa...very brave & very beautifull story...thank you for sharing and yes....you'll have many many more teary eye'd moments watching Eva & Dougie....I promise ! ;D xxx

Speak saturday probably
loads of love all
Amanda xxx

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.