Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're not really into any sort of pattern yet as I'm still demand feeding the insatiable Sadie and she demands alot!!

But in the evening she does tend to want an evening feed, I give her a bath most nights now and sometimes this gets her off to sleep for at least the first half of the night, sometimes it doesn't.  ::)  The time is not regular though, it can be any time between 6pm and 8pm when she gets hungry/is awake/drops off  (and sometimes she's feeding the entire time between 6 and 8!!) Oh, and she doesn't like her bed yet so I'm not likely to be able to pop her down after a feed and expect her to go off sweetly.......  :(

For when I do try to introduce some kind of night time routine to her, I'm interested to know how on earth I do it with two  :eek:.  I'm lucky that DP is home most nights to bath and bed Matthew, leaving me to bath Sadie downstairs in her bucket bath and feed her while I watch Eastenders.  I have done a few evening routines on my own though when he isn't home on time, but most of those have been about getting Matthew's routine sorted and Sadie's been left to her own devices, or I've sat and fed her while M had a bath, left her whingeing on my bed while I read stories in M's room, etc etc...
Currently M has tea at 5.30, watches beebies and has some milk from around 6-6.15 til 6.30, when he has bath, then stories from around 7, then bed by 7.30.

I've asked around some friends who are also new mums to 2nd babies but their new babies seem to be model babies who will sleep if you put them down......

So girls, tell me how you do it.... I need some inspiration!  :-\

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I was/am very lucky as dh is rarely not here from 6pm onwards. J and M rarely have a bath at night as it was all too rushed (they never did have one every night anyway) so now they have one in the morning.

I'm trying to think back to when M was a baby and I'm sure because I was BF'ing I would feed M whilst dh sat with J while he had his milk, then M just fitted in with J's routine and went to bed at the same time. I know she was around the 4 month mark before we could say we had a decent bedtime routine with her - very often before that point we'd take her up and put her to bed when J did, but it was all for his benefit because as soon as he was in bed we'd get her back up and bring her back downstairs!

What happens now is dh gets both J and M ready for bed around 6.30pm while I get their milk ready and potter around doing whatever needs doing. He then sits with them both for wind down which is basically until CBeebies shuts down at 7pm when everyone traipses upstairs for teeth, a general tear around and into bed by 7.15pm.

Sorry, I'm not really sure that's much help at all. Can you not bath them together? Is there any reason why she can't fit in with Matty's routine and even have cuddles with you and Matty while he has storytime?

Chux xx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi

When Lucas came along we just bathed him the same time as Henry and one of us would take Henry to bed and the other Lucas. If I was ever on my own then I would sit Lucas in his chair in Henry's room whilst we did stories and bedtime. If he was crying then i'd give him a cuddle or feed him whilst reading stories  :) He'd then come back downstairs once Henry settled until such time as he was going to bed at that time. It was always easier not to bother bathing if I was on my own. Once Lucas was going to bed properly the same time as Henry I would normally give them their milk downstairs before bath time, put Lucas straight to bed and then go and read Henry his stories.

As for bath/bedtime now we're outnumbered  ^scared^

It does suddenly all become a lot easier hun. This past couple of weeks we can now put Rory down with H & L around 7pm (he's been a grumpy, colicy baby up until a couple of weeks ago which has been quite distuptive)

S xxx

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Clare

I also wondered the same as you how to do two on my own.  I have had to do bedtime by myself for the first time this week as DH away - he would nornally help and do stories with |Kate.

K has similar evening routine to M, but when on my own i have been starting bath by 6.30 as tom starts to get tired.  ~He loves a bath and is a refluxy baby so generally needs a good wash!  ~I have been getting bedrooms ready and tom in bath first in one of those 'shoe' things then pop kate in.  She 'washes tom;! then get her out first, teeth, dress, then do tom.

i have been reading stories together in kates room with both on lap til tom cries for feed.  i then BF him and kate had to go in bed.  a few more stories then i left.  first night she cried a lot while i tried to settle tom so went back with him and did another story.  Tom then went to sllep at 7.50 and i still had to go back to kate who was still upset, but she was settled by 8.00.

last night she was more tired and asllep in cot by 7.10 and i finished toms feed and got him settled by 7.45.  i am lucky he is easier to settle as a baby thsan kate was and he is sleeping well.

as shelley says it will get easier i'm sure.

good luck

peta

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your wisdom ladies, very interesting, what you all do :)

I think what I have been worried about is that I don't want to disrupt M's schedules and bath and bedtime has always been very much about quality time with his parents, especially with his dad, but it's also the one time we've had some real routine activities, if not always strict timings!  There are things we always say and do which I haven't wanted him to think we're abandoning now S is here.  But I guess by the time S is ready for a bedtime routine, she'll have been here long enough for M to be less sensitive to change.

Did it on my own again tonight as DP got stuck in bad traffic.  Yet again Sadie got no routine, it was all about M, but then at the moment she's not on a bedtime regime really.
I had her in the bouncy chair in M's room bouncing quietly for the first half of his bath, crying for the second half of it, then we joined her while he had stories and I bounced her in the chair as I read.
M is physically quite high maintenance IYSWIM, cuddling him and reading stories involves concentrating on him and holding her at the same time is more difficult....so I like the idea of lying her on the floor or in her chair.  At the moment though I can't predict how much she'll want to feed during the hours of 6 and 8, sometimes she wants a feed at his story time and that's difficult with him needing a bit of controlling at story time. 
At the moment i woulnd't like to bath them together, M's baths are not exactly calm occasions, he and his dad have alot of fun at bathtime,  banging pots and singing loudly - it's fun but fun of the kind that would scare the pants off Sadie  ;D ;D
I'm lucky that M goes down to sleep well on his own so I can concentrate on S.  I have a friend who's pg with her 2nd and is really worried about the sleep part as she has to lie down for an hour with her DD to get her to go off to sleep  :eek:

Anyway we'll see, I won't think of doing it until she becomes a bit more regular with her feeding times.....

Any more routines to share?

Claire

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Clare - We also wanted to keep J's routine the same (as best we could) which is why M really had to just fit in around him in the first few months. At the time it felt a bit like we were ignoring M in favour of J but she survived it. Eventually she settled down and Sadie will do the same, and you'll find your bedtime routine will adjust to include her.

Have to say I don't envy your friend as bedtime in her house could be interesting once the baby comes along. ;D

^bow^ ^bow^ ^bow^ to you doing it on your own already!!

Chux xx

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi Claire,

Many congratulations on the birth of Sadie - lovely name and she looks too cute!

Just thought I would add my two pennies worth... My Obstetrician said that I must always try and maintain the same routine for the eldest as they are the firstborn and would always know and remember having Mom and Dad's sole attention. The younger sibling will never know any different other than being a sibling and will know no other than having to share the parents.
We have always maintained Tayla's routine and Jaimie just had to fit into it. Now that they are a little bit older (J is 10 months), they bath together at about 6.30. We then dress them and play for half an hour. They both then have their bottle/cup of milk and J goes to bed immediately after, at about 7.30. We then keep Tayla up for another 30 mins or so, during which time we spend playing and reading to just her. We find that she really enjoys this time with us and we enjoy it too as J is high maintenance at the moment and we never seem to have the time to focus 100% on Tayla.
As time goes by, you will find yourself settling into a routine anyway, but you may wish to set aside some special time with just you, Andy and Matty perhaps after Sadie has gone to bed.

Hope this helps,

Congratulations again :)

Adrienne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts