Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All

I am looking for advice and help. My baby is 4 weeks old and I am breastfeeding her. It has been a tough 4 weeks but I intend to continue a little longer before I introduce the bottle.

My question is that my baby latches on perfectly to my left breast and will feed continuously for 15 to 20 minutes until she is happy. But when I put her to my right breast she slips down to the nipple and as a consequence I now have a very sore nipple. She also gets very restless and starts to pull at the nipple which means I have to take her off and burp her. I know she is getting the milk as i can hear her gulping it but how do I get her to stay on correctly?

I am going to the clinic tomorrow to see the midwife, so hopefully she can help too. i really don't want to chuck it all in just yet but somedays I think I have had enough. :-[

Please please help?

Amba

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Amba

i am no expert but it may be possible that its coming out too fast for her or too slow

firstly have you tired feeding lying down to see if that makes a difference ?

the other thing is if too fast try leaning back a wee bit more so she has to suck up hill and if too slow try leaning forward a bit to it drains into her

any breast feeding counsellor hearing me would go yikes ! cos of the bad postitioning for you !

but might be worth a try

failing that give the NCT breast feeding counsellor a ring they are fab

Mini xx

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hi Amba

I have a preference for using my left breast when feeding as it feels more comfortable, plus I think the RHS nipple isn't so good - probably due to me being right handed! I digress, have you tried feeding with your baby lying next to on bed - use a pillow to support your baby's back. I nearly always feed Isabelle on my right breast this way as it she seems happy about it and I'm more comfortable too.

I've been feeding on the bed since she was little and tend to use the left breast if I'm out, leaving the other for later! I also have a preference for expressing from the left one too.

Hope that helps

love

Camilla

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Camilla and Mini

Thanks for your replies. I think it does come out too fast for her. I have been lying down and feeding her from the right breast but still feel she does not take enough of the breast into her mouth and it feels sore, although I must admit it is easier feeding her from that side lying down.

I will continue this and see how it goes. I also forgot to mention that she has oral thrush and I have it on the nipples - I have been trying my best to get rid of it but even after 3 weeks we both still have it. Is there anything stronger/more effective than Daktarin or Miconazole?

Thanks again.
Amba]

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hi Amba

I can't answer about the thrush, as I've not had it. Ask at your clinic tomorrow. I suppose the problem is that you're probaby reinfecting each other.

Have you tried expressing some of your milk off before bf, if your boob is a bit full its probably overwhelming your littleone?

love

Camilla

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Amba,

I had thrush too and at times the pain was unbearable with one side definately worse than the other. I ended up going to the Docs and getting drops for Jacob and I used Canestan on my boobs as you will just keep infecting each other - it took a while but eventually it cleared up.

If it still doesn't go you can get treatment in tablet form from the doc which I ended up having as I had thrush on my c-section wound that wouldn't go.

Best of luck and well done you for keeping feeding this long as I know how painful it can get,

Chux xx

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hello Amba,
I am sorry that breastfeeding is not proving easy, but good on you for keeping going, ESPECIALLY through the pain of thrush, which is not at all funny! I can sympathise having experienced a nasty dose when Ben was just under a year old. Did your GP start you off on a large dose of medication? This is certainly the protocol using Fluconazol (Diflucan) tablets. Mine did not initially and it took a LONG time to clear up - I ended up printing some info off the internet and taking it in with me. Try the following website:

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk

I also found useful info on La Leche League's website. An NCT breastfeeding councilor should be able to provide advice too.

Do keep going back to your GP though until it gets sorted as breast thrush can be very painful.

As far as RHS difficulty latching on, have you tried the rugby ball position on that side? (Or if you are already using rugby ball position on the LHS, try positioning the baby across your body on RHS?) Worth a try if nothing else works.

Lots of luck, Amba

Flo
x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.