Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After a failed TESE in the UK, the consultants at Calderdale told me that it is the end of the road and I would be wasting my time pursuing any more TESE's, however, I proceeded to get Calderdale to send my slides to Cornel and Mr Schlegel reviewed them and emailed me the following:

"I have received and reviewed your slides.
They are both labelled, "A1", suggesting they are from the same testis.
They show maturation arrest in nearly all tubules with subtle differences in sperm production levels.
No fully formed sperm are seen.  Rare round spermatids with condensing vs. fragmented sperm are present.
The chance for sperm retrieval is approximately 45-50% with repeat, microdissection TESE surgical approach.
The next step is for your wife to complete initial evaluation with a member of the Cornell IVF team.
Once this is completed, a date for surgical treatment with IVF can be scheduled."

The thing that amazes me is that the Consultant at Calderdale literally told me that I'de be wasting my time and I don't stand a chance.  However, Cornell who are the world leaders in this field gave me almost 50% chance which is far from "no chance". Point to be noted is that your consultant doesn't necessarily always have be right, as there are people out there who have more experience and can probably still help you.

Myself and my wife are at a stage now where we are going to try and arrange our finances so that we can go to Cornell, to give this a last and final shot.

Is there anybody out there who can read the review of my slide and explain, what round spermatid and condensed versus fragmented sperm means?  Does it mean I had impaired sperm?

I look forward to all your comments, especially for those who are in a similar situation to us.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Noticed no one's replied, so I thought I'd say congrats and good luck for Cornell!

I think it's well accepted that the US in general are further ahead in medical advances. It's the same with the cinema, films are always released over there first then we catch up eventually. :) Hopefully Cornell's successes will inspire UK consultants to up their game and move us forward.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about sperm, but didn't want to read and run.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, I got a response from someone who read my post.

I guess my question is abit of a tough one, so I'm not surprised nobody has responded.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi, and again good luck for cornell, we've been looking into it also as they seem much more advnaced when it comes to male IF.

As far as I know (and I only have limited knowledge from a biology degree some years back so please do further resaerch), a spermatid is the immature form of sperm, and I think the terms 'condensing' and 'fragmented' have something to do with how the dna is structured within the sperm, or the mechanisms by which your dna is copied into each sperm??? From this though I'd say they're alluding to impaired sperm, but can you phone them for an explanation of these terms?

Best of luck, thank goodness you at least contacted cornell and didn't believe that very negative advice you were given over here.

Kerry x

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kerry, and I wish you the best of luck also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi elegance,

i'm afraid we're in the same "beginning of this minefield" boat as you in terms of our diagnosis so i can't shed any learned light on the response from the Dr,
however i have to say I will be following your story closely if you don't mind as i suspect we may have the same condition to deal with too, and we are also considering Cornell if we are given any semblance of a chance from Dr schegel when we have more results for my H,
can i ask if you too have a high fsh level, and if so how high, my H is skyhigh at 55 on the first blood test so i'd be really interested to know if you don't mind sharing!

Good luck in your journey,

xx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Sparkells,

My FSH and Testosterone are all normal.  I had my hormone tests prior to TESE in the UK and they were normal.  Dr. Schlegel requested I have another test post biopsy which I had a couple of months ago and that also came back all in the normal range.

However, I wouldn't place too much wait on FSH as I don't think it has any correlation with successful sperm retrievel in  a biopsy.  The only thing high FSH helps towards is diagnosing non obstructive azoospermia. 

1 - 7 of 7 Posts