Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've posted this on the HV bit as well but if anyone here has any ideas I'd be really grateful.

I'm looking for a bit of advice about my little boy's thumb.  He loves sucking his left thumb when he is tired and really relies on it to get to sleep.  Recently he's developed a nasty deep crack on the middle knuckle.  It doesn't seem to be hurting him but I'm concerned about it getting infected as it never gets a chance to heal up as he sucks it so much.

Any ideas how I can encourage healing and also how I can prevent him sucking his thumb to give it a chance to get better?  I've tried giving him a dummy but he's not interested, just wants his thumb  :'(

Thanks,
pippi xx

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
Not speaking from experience here .. F had (still has  ??? at bedtime) a dummy and E was never a "sucker" until the day after she turned 2 and now plays with a dummy at bedtime  ::) but how about putting a plaster/bandage on his thumb at tired times?
Good luck
Dee
xxx

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
There is a device you can buy from America, its like a plastic tube that fits over the thumb. When the child attempts to suck it they can't get any "suck" so to speak as the tube allows air to get through the tube. Just feels like they are sucking on a straw...takes the fun out of it I guess ??

Just googled for you and looks like you can buy from the UK now too, very effective I've read too http://www.thumbguard.co.uk/our_products.php albeit a bit pricey but I have read they get the job done :)

Good luck
Amanda

/links

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I tried preventing him from sucking his thumb last night - big mistake!!  We had a terrible night's sleep (or lack of!) and he still ended up sucking it to get to sleep  :(  I've tried substituting the thumb with a dummy but he doesn't like it, think it's probably a bit late to introduce it.  Like the thumb guard, that would definitely stop him sucking it!

Someone suggested putting lansinoh on it (sore nipple cream) so I've tried that today but he keeps sucking it off.  Going to take him to the doctor to see if they can suggest anything.  I had nightmares last night about his thumb dropping off!

Thanks girls,
Pippi xx

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi Pippi

My DS was the same and it never actually got infected - he now has a raised area on his thumb and still sucks (he will be 7 soon) so i dont think it does any harm. we did put a cotton glove on him which my mum made just a bag with a  drawstring tie and it worked insofar as he didnt suck but he and we didnt get any sleep so in the end (to save my sanity as i worked full time) i gave in and let him have his thumb back!
Mani

1 - 5 of 5 Posts