Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found this board an amazing source of help and support over the last few months and wanted give something back and pass one my experience of my myomectomy.

I read constantly prior to my op and throughout the consultations, and I went in very clued up on what to expect and what to ask, thanks to all the postings here.  However, I didn't once think to read, research or consider the recovery process.  So that's what I'd like to pass on from my experience.

My consultant was fantastic and very caring through all the appointments I'd had, what I then hadn't thought about was that on the day of treatment he would be very limited to time.  He popped in and I got the speak to him for less than 5 minutes, which really left me feeling in a bit of a whirl.  The anesthetist actually spent longer with me than the consultant.

I should mention here I was lucky enough to have this covered privately through my work health care policy, so my experience is not of the NHS!

I got back to my room after the op feeling rather disorientated, uncomfortable and very conscious I didn't know what had happened or what state I was in.  I very suddenly felt very unprepared.  My legs felt odd and I couldn't move.  It turned out that the discomfort in my legs was due to still having the protection on them from the op.  More importantly, I had a catheter!  Now looking back on it, it was obvious to expect this, but no one had warned me and so I was a little shaken by it.  Once I started to come round properly it was actually a huge relief that I didn't need to consider moving or getting up to have a pee!!

My blood pressure was very low, so I was kept in longer than expected.  Make sure you drink plenty of water in between sleeping and coming round, just to help your body start to function properly again.  I wasn't drinking enough and ended up feeling very sick, confused and generally very ill!

A physio came to visit me very promptly and was fantastic.  She taught me how to sit up and move.  Believe me, you need that advice!  I would say that until you've spent a few days moving and getting used to it, don't try and get up by rolling on the side that the main work has taken place on.  It was so much easier for me to roll over on to my left side to get up!

And now for the realisation of the tummy!  I'm so glad I'd read on here to expect the bloated tummy!  But even then, it took me by surprise.  I'd kind of kidded myself that as I was slim and fit, with very strong tummy muscles that I'd be ok!! HAHA  Throughout the first 3 - 4 weeks of my recovery I looked about 4 months pregnant.  Not only that, I had none of the structure of my tummy or waist line left!  I found that very hard to deal with.  You have to get up and walk about, have a walk around the block, maybe go to the doctors for stitches out, be prepared for being very self conscious!  I decided to throw my positive head on, and as much as I could I smiled and thought, this is the new me, now getting pregnant is a possibility, and this could be me in the future months with a real big fat pregnant belly!  Remember to keep smiling... what ever!

So, the next 5 weeks!  What a roller coaster!  Be prepared to peak and drop during the recovery!  And most importantly, take it easy!  I went back to work after 2 weeks.  The train journey to work alone was enough to reduce me to tears.  I think if I'd take 3 weeks at home I'd have got through my recovery much better!  Especially as in my second week back in the office, I caught a tummy bug!!  What you don't need during recovery is sickness and a tummy bug!!  With each good day I was feeling I had 3 terrible days, I got very low and found it hard to keep myself positive. 

However, the bug seemed to be just what I needed.... somehow!!!  I woke up after 2 days of terrible sickness and feeling truly terrible, totally and utterly on top of the world!  And things have just been getting better since!!

I had my first period, and non of the crippling monthly pain I've come to dread and expect!!  I realised how much pain I'd been in constantly without appreciating it, when now, I have no pain at all!  I've been back to see the consultant today for my follow up, and he was brilliant.  He said I'm as good as new again, cleared me to go back to the gym, live life as normal, and most importantly we can start TTC again, and all should be good for a natural birth when it happens!

I hope I haven't bored you with such a long post, but I really wanted to pass on my experience of the last two months!!  Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.  My biggest bit of advice is to prepare for the recovery and appreciate that it could be a roller coaster, but after 5 - 6 weeks I now feel like a new woman, and I'm SO glad I went ahead with it!!

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Fab posting babybuns - soo glad you're feeling on top of the world following your awful tummy bug - but OMG you need a medal going back to work after 2 weeks !!!

Hope you're enjoying the fruits of your eviction very soon (wink wink)
All the very best
Sheila

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL..... not a medal.... I think maybe sectioning would have been better!!  I wish I'd stayed off another week!  Definitely rushed back too soon!

I can't believe how good I feel now however!  Truly amazing!  I can't wait to start trying now!!  teeeheee  ;D

Thank you so much for all your support through this.  It really has made so much difference! xxx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts