Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was Sunday the 7th August, nearly two weeks after I had a show - DH and I had spent the weekend doing what we normally do.... collecting firewood, playing games, hanging out..... I'd swept the garage that afternoon for whatever reason  ^idiot^ - but never nested in the house  ::)

DH was due to go back down the coast that evening for the following working week, he normally left around 5pm.  That Sunday he decided he couldn't be bothered to go, and said he'd leave around 330am instead - maybe he knew something I didn't?!

We went to bed at 7pm as we were both exhausted.  DH fell asleep immediately, I couldn't sleep so I read for awhile, then slept - woke at 930pm with a strange pain in my tummy - thinking it was wee pain I rolled over to get up and felt a huge gush as my waters finally broke!!  I said "Michael - QUICK get a towel, my waters just broke".... amazingly he woke straight away and proceeded to jump out of bed and run head long into the door  ;D then he ran into the loungeroom yelling "where do I find the towels?!" Like HELLO.... where they've always been  ^idiot^ ;D

He threw a pile of towels at me, urged me to hurry up and get out of bed NOW and then zipped up my suitcase and ran around the house like a mad chicken with no head!  Poor bloke!!  He packed the car and then told me again to hurry up!  I was so excited!!  I dawdled into the kitchen to phone the midwife, knowing I'd have to go in straight away as I was positive for group b strep.  Anyways, the line was engaged!  So I rang my grandma who also became a mad chicken!  I told her we'd pick her up on the way - she met us at the front gate at home as she was freaking out  ::) I finally got through to the midwife who said to come on in..... then I decided I didn't want to go in my pj's, so I went to the bathroom and sat there calling Michael who was outside waiting  ;D he eventually came back and gave me a change of clothes, in the meantime I phoned my interstate Mum to let her know the goings on  ;D

So finally in the car, we drove to the hospital - I was getting irregular contractions by this stage, but no major pains.  The midwife did an internal when I got there, and I was 2 cms dilated HOORAY.  She said nothing much would happen for ages as I had no regular contractions, she wanted to stuff me in a room with 3 mums and babies.... hell no!  I begged to go to birthing suite and have DH and my grandma stay...... she relented.....  :p

We were the only customers in birthing suite that night!!  DH jacked himself up in front of the tv, and grandma sat timing contractions and knitting.  They became pretty regular and painful really quickly.  After about 4 hours I progressed to 4 cms.  The pain was sooooo intense and nothing relieved it - tried having a bath but couldn't sit, couldn't even sit on the bed because with every contraction I got a huge pain along my pelvic floor... not nice!  :eek:

I'd written in my birth plan absolutely NO pain relief...... I'd decided during labour that if any was offered I'd accept it.... but nobody offered!!  ::) I eventually asked for one of everything!  ;) The m/w came back with pethidine, and encouraged me to use the gas and air..... talk about major head spins!!  I started vomiting, and wasn't getting alot of relief!!  I continued to pace around but my legs were struggling by this stage!

Around 7am the obstetrician came in and did another internal.  Nothing had happened!!  I hadn't progressed any further!  :'( She said I was to go on a syntocinon drip and suggested very strongly that I consider an epidural.  Baby was in a posterior position and was very high up still!  I cried and cried..... this wasn't what I wanted!!  I gave it about 10 seconds thought, and decided that okay, I'd accept it.

So, I had a drip in each arm, and along came the anaesthetist to do the epidural.  Turns out I'd worked with him previously!  Nice guy!!  The epidural was nasty!  I had to curl over a pile of pillows 'like a kitten'  ??? and it took two long attempts to finally get it in place! OW!!  After it kicked in, I still had a pain window on my right side..... so could still feel everything!  ^bigbad^ ^idiot^ ;D I was now stuck flat on my back in bed, constantly monitored, lines coming out everywhere, and in absolute agony because I couldn't cope with the contractions lying down but I had no choice!

By about 130pm the obstetrician came back...... she did another internal and told me I was fully dilated.  I knew this - I felt the transition!  :eek: The baby was still at the spines of the pelvis, so too high up to push her out quickly.  Her heart rate was starting to race, and apparently I also have a narrow pelvic arch - this baby would take hours and hours to push out!  So she suggested a c-section.  I agreed only because of bubs heart rate...... along came the tears again!!

They brought me to theatre, and the theatre nurse was a guy I had precepted as a student  ;D they geared me up and started topping up the epidural.  The worst part was I knew exactly what they were doing - I'd seen c-sections in theatre before.  It was horrible!!  I was sooooo scared..... I like being in control, not being the patient!!  I was shaking uncontrollably from medication and being scared.  DH was with me luckily!  My whole body was being pushed and pulled, my legs kept sliding off the sides of the table!!  :eek:

Finally at 347pm Maygan was born.  Then the stitching up began - took forever!!  DH got the first hold after I told the midwife to hand her over  :p I cried and cried and cried - from relief, joy, excitement, exhaustion... all of that!

She had her first feed in recovery, and OUCH!!  My poor nipples!  That began the saga of the damaged nipples!  After a few days it became apparent that Maygan wasn't getting enough to eat.... not even colustrum was happening!  I had a bad case of the blues, Maygan lost more than 10% of her birth weight, and I had no milk!

I was in hospital for a week trying to establish feeding, and also recovering from the op.  It was a horrible week, but we've been home now for a week and things are improving.  I'm expressing more milk than she needs (finally!!), she sleeps nicely , and the tears are improving.  It's only when I get sad that I wonder if I'm being a bad Mum because I'm not having fun!!

There are times when I feel ripped off and wonder what on earth I did to deserve all of life's hurdles - but I figure that whoever is throwing them at me won't throw me anything I can't handle.

DH goes back to work tommorrow - it's going to be interesting to see how I cope!  Lucky Mum is staying for a few days.......

Sorry this post is so long!!  It helps to write it out!  :) There's many parts I can't remember, as I know the story is much bigger  :eek: ;D There's also parts that aren't really neccessary to be written  ::)

~Natt~

·
Registered
838 Posts
Natt

Thats a brilliant birth story hun, so sorry it didn't go quite as planned (Understatement) but the main thing your beautiful daughter is here, and you are now both well :)

Congratulations, your daughter looks beautiful.

Keep your chin up hun, I bet your doing a fantastic job even though it feels like hard work. ^reiki^

Its lovely hearing from you. :)

Take care

Dawn x x x

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hello chuck

Brilliant birth story and like Dawn, so sorry it didn't go to plan but at least you are both fine and well and I suppose that's all that matters isn't it.

So glad that DH was with you and your grandma and that you now have your mom to stay if DH has to go back to work.  The pictures of Maygan are lovely and my heart melts at your new on of her with DH, oh it's great that she's here.

I read recently that we get the "baby blues" cause of giving birth to the placenta, it controls our hormones when we are pg and makes us feel good while pregnant and I suppose with that gone it's a shock to the system, hope you are feeling less tearful soon, xx

Keep in touch

Keri
xx

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Natt,

You coped brilliantly hun.

Maygan is beautiful, and while you are lucky to have her, she is also very lucky to have you as a mummy, you'll be great!
Sorry that you had to go through what you did, feeling down doesn't make you a bad mum, it's natural after the shock you had, and just means you care.

Hope Michael is ok after running into the door  ^roflmao^ and there's you cool as a cucumber worrying about being in pj's  ^confused^

Have a nice time with your mum staying, keep in touch, we miss you  ^hugme^

Love Helen x

·
Registered
202 Posts
Natt,

Your pic of Maygan and DH made me cry - it is so sweet!!  Can't even stop the tears - it's just what we're all waiting for.  So adorable!!!

Sorry your birth didn't go as planned, but I thought you wrote it out beautifully.  I think we can all expect some unexpected/unplanned moments in the birth process!  Maybe since these babies didn't get in there as planned, they don't come out as planned either?!?  ;D

I'm sure Maygan is thrilled to have you as a mummy!! 

Sending lots of hugs,
Julia
xox

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Natt

Your daughter is just beautiful!

Although your birth didn't go as the 'plan', things in life rarely do - and both of you are home and well now!

Congratulations to you. I'm quite certain you're going to be a fantastic Mum.

Look after yourself

Poll
^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Natt,

Sorry to hear your not having fun yet, but it will come.  After everything you went through to get Maygan delivered it is bound to take it's toll.  You are a great Mummy and Maygan is a very lucky young lady.

Let your Mum help you all she can, you will be fine.

Hope the door is okay  ;D and of course Michael

Take care
Love Mish xx

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
natt

Thats a brilliant birth story so sorry it didn't go quite as planned
Your daughter is just beautiful
congratulations to you
love baby wisper

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Natt,

I just wanted to say I know how you're feeling but it does get better. I don't know if you read my birth story but unfortunately Jacob's birth didn't even slightly resemble the birth plan either and it took me a while to come to terms with that. I know I got frustrated in the early days as even going to the shops made everything hurt and I felt so dependent on others when all I wanted to do was be a mum. It probably took a good month for me to start feeling human again and to actually start enjoying being a mum but once your baby starts responding, especially getting that first smile, it only gets better.

Don't try to do too much too soon and it WILL all come good. Love the pic by the way,

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your responses.  I'm normally an extremely independent person who finds it hard to let other people do things for me  ^idiot^ I'm going to have to get used to it though, as it's a 6 week recovery period!  I'm not allowed to drive, hang washing, bend, vacuum etc!  :eek: ARGH!  ;D

People must think I'm mad - I just wanna get back to normal!  ^idiot^

~Natt~

Chux - I did read your birth story when you first posted it.  I'm so glad you're feeling normal again!  I can't wait for that day!!!!

DH goes back to work tonight, so I am looking forward to establishing some routine.  I've figured out I can still do the washing, just hang it on the clothes horse inside after pushing the basket there with my foot  ;D ^idiot^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.