Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried natural progesterone cream (there is a certain brand I cant probably mention) which you just apply as a cream on your body. The body then absorbs what you need. Its used for menopause women and also for women with PMT problems. I must admit, I have used it in the past for PMT and it really does work.Its especially good for women with a short LP. Now wondering if you could use this together with the synthetic progesterone prescribed during tx or even as a replacement for the synthetic progesterone. Anyone has an opinion on this?

Many thanks
Mickey

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
I don't THINK you'd choose to use it for fertility if you had the option of using conventional progesterone pessaries or PIO shots because:

a) the quality/concentration of non prescription creams is likely to be variable as they aren't regulated
b) although, studies have shown that topical progesterone is absorbed by the skin, its not been shown to be absorbed in high enough levels to affect the amount circulating in your blood, and accordingly, its unlikely to be enough to affect your uterine lining or deal with a significant LPD (and hasn't been proven to have protective effects on your bones etc for post-menopausal women which its often advertised for).

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2265.2000.01130.x/full

c) conventional pessaries or PIO are just as 'natural' because, just the same as topical creams, the progesterone comes, usually, from yam (a type of plant).

it might be pretty good for PMT/menopausal symptom relief etc though.

This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Agate,

Thanks so much for your thoughts, that;s great to know.

I did use the cream for a while to deal with some PMT symptoms and I was amazed by just putting a tiny bit of cream on your body every day, this could have such a great impact. Hence my question to use it while on tx. But I guess like you say, you need sufficient amounts in the bloodstream, especially if your CD5+CD19 is too high. Thanks for getting back on this so quickly.

Lots of good luck to everyone out there!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts