1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya Have posted before but have Q's i need to ask

In short been trying for 2 1/2 years, I'm 35, hubby 30,
Have had one internal scan which really upset me and hurt

Had second visit to clinic last tues, They are still unsure about my H levels as keep having blood test,
So hard to work out when is right time for blood tests as my cycle ranges from 23 days to 33 days,

They are talking about putting me on Clomid but have foot op at end of June so have to wait til thats done. Also they are sending me for an hsg, not looking forward to that.

This may sound really thick but always thought that you ovulate 14 days after the first day of your last period, so why do they test you on day 21?

Sadly my hubbys results are't good, which has really hit him hard,
Don't have numbers to hand but think it was 17% fast, 18% slow, about 40% going round and round  ???
He's now taking Vit C and Zinc, any advice that will help.

I keep asking him if he's ok and to talk to me if he needs to but you know men, this isn't some thing you chat about with mates, must be hard for him to deal with, never thought it might be him with low results.

Thanks for just being here so i can write down my thoughts and worries.

x x

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hi Fire Opal

Welcome to FF, you've found a fantastic site, lots of lovely ladies with lots of support. Don't worry hun you're not being thick, so much to take in when you're ttc it all messes with you're head. I've (hopefully) pasted a link for you to have a look at that might explain the testing on day 21

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=136634.msg2064401#msg2064401.

There will be others on later too who might be able to help you more.

Good luck with any future treatment and take care

^hugme^ and x x x

·
Registered
354 Posts
Fire Opal

Firstly - with your hubby, if he smokes and drinks - ditch the lot, get him to take a vitamin plus zinc daily (cheap from Superdrug) and get him to eat 6 brazil nuts a day.  Change to decaf coffee, drink only bottled water, and have a glass of fresh orange juice a day (not from concentrate though) - we did this for 6 months and my dh's count went from 35 million per mil to 65 million per mil.

As for you the reason why they test on day 21 is to see if you have ovulated by then (they can detect this from your bloods).  I was put on Clomid for 1 month at 50mg then the 2nd month a 100 mg - sadly neither had any effect and I said that I did not want to be on them any longer as it clearly had no effect - be careful your consultant/doctor doesnt leave you on the for 6 months - if it's gonna work it will to start with!

Do you have regular periods? It may be worth asking to to test if you have PCOS (poly cystic ovaries) - this can also effect fertility??  Whats your diet like? Have you done a cycle using ovulation test sticks??

Nacknick. xx

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hi Fire Opal (nice name ;) ),

Not everyone necessarily ovulates 14 days after 1st day of last period. I used to think that too but I did some home ovulation tests a few times and when this was confirmed by our doctor that ovulation happens 14 days before the first day of your NEXT period I believed this to be true. I have always have 28-32 day cycles.

The embriologist told my husband to take daily Selenium A, C, E, Zinc, and folic acid tablets. And he has been for almost 2 years. He doestn`t/never has smoked, hardly drinks, exercises whenever he can, has a healthy balanced diet and recently we have done another SA to compare with that of two years ago and there has hardly been any change in his count (still 1mil per mil), but we have seen some improvement in his progressive motility from 0 to 10%. The doctor had said then that there wouldn`t be immense change to his SA even with vitamins but they could improve the quality of the ones he already has. So, as there`s no harm but good he has been taking them since.

When we first found out about his sperm problem my DH was also quiet about it and didn`t want to talk about it much. It was hard for him to accept. But, we have talked a lot about it together and he (WE) have come to accept the fact that we can`t conceive without help from doctors and science. Have you seen the Male Factor Infetility section on this site on the main page? If you click there you`ll see a thread that is just for men to chat on. If he doesn`t feel comfortable about chatting it might be good to get your DH to read what other lads are going through. It might make him feel more at ease as any form of infertility is upsetting whether for male or female. He just needs to see that he and you are not alone in this. This process needs a lot of patience as things do not happen overnight.

I`m sorry that your scan was painful. Did you tell your doctor about it? Has he/she given you any reason for this?

What is your DH`s count if I may ask? It can sometimes be too low to be worth being on clomid. What is the reason that they are thinking of putting you on clomid?

I also was sent to have bloods done to see if I ovulated as it`s a normal process even though this was after DH`s SA results.

Good luck with everything,

Roses xxx

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Fire opal,
Firstly the internal scan's shouldn't hurt at all, they're a little bit uncomfortable but shouldn't hurt. You should tell that it was painful and ask them why they think it was.
The HSG isn't too bad. It makes you jump when they put the dye in and take the xrays, but try not to worry about it. The pain afterwards is like heavy period pain but it soon goes away.
My DH has a VERY low sperm count that they put down to a childhood trauma in that area. DH was put in care when he was little so doesn't know what it could have been. His count increased when he started to take multi vits everyday. MY DH found it very difficult to deal with when he found out but has since come to terms with it and now realises that it's not his fault. The sperm that swim in circles are as good as 'normal' swimmers. Treatment of any kind help his fishies to get where they need to go easier.
We had ICSI treatment and now I'm pregnant so it CAN still happen. My hubby says he's more than happy to have a chat with your hubby if he ever feels the need to talk to someone.
Good luck with the foot op and I'm keeping fingers crossed for you for your treatment.
Sarah xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts