Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well where do I start??

We have 2 11 yr olds cats, 3 budgies, and 1 22 month old Labrador.
The birds are fine, they chatter away quite happily.

But its the others we have problems. At our info eve I asked about the dog, they said no problems, lots of adopters have dogs, and as long as she is friendly then they would see no problems with her. They also said, they understand she is young and therefore more boisterous, but in a yrs time will be nrly 3 and poss slightly calmer, so dont worry.

Well that answered one of my questions.

My real problem is, 1 of the cats comes downstairs and is ok with the dog, they are not best buddies. Its only a prob when the dog drops her ball at the cat and wants to play and the cat objects, then we get the hissing etc.

The other cat, Sugar, is more timid and refuses to come downstairs when the dog is there, now hubby has taken the dog out, she is out in the garden sunning herself, but the minute the dog gets home she will bolt upstairs, If I could get her to stay downstairs long enough to sniff and be sniffed by the dog it will be ok, much like with the other cat.

But she wont, and because of this, we had her a couple of weeks after getting the dog, pooing and weeing on our bed as she was scared to come down and go outside.  I have never had the cats do that, not even as kittens, and it probably bothered her as much as me.
But hubby suggested we get a litter try for her. So we did, now nearly 2 years later, we still have a litter tray in our spare bedroom (we have 2 spare). It calmed her down, but didnt help with the matter of getting her downstairs.

This brings me to my problem with regard adopting, a social worker is going to see it as a health and safety risk, and I can see that.
I have considered having the cats put to sleep, bit drastic, and my hubby was dead against it, we dont want to rehome them at 11 1/2 yrs old, when I have had them since they were 6 weeks old, and she is so timid Im not sure she would fare well with it.

But we are serious about adopting. Im just not sure what to do about the cat and the litter tray. I wonder if anyone has any advice they can help me with, anyone had a similar problem.

We are hoping for a sibling group of 2, so although they could go in the same room, dependant on age and sex, the tray could go on the other room, but ideally we hoped to let them have a room each.

I hope someone can give me some cat advice on how to deal with this.  How do I get rid of the litter tray and not have to get rid of the cats.  :'(

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Hevs - I seem to be chasing you around these boards  ;D I really don't think you need to worry about this at the moment, you are realisticlly 18 months off having a child/children placed with you, but that time your cat will be nearly 13 years old and sadly may not even be around.... however if she is then I think why would the sw need to know about the litter tray? If you remove it during their home visits. If you are uncomfortable with this, what about saying that once you had children placed with you, you would put a baby gate on the bedroom door so the tray was out of reach?

Take Care

Fiona

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
hevs

glad you are finding this place helpful  ^hugme^

our SW only said of our litter tray - i see you always keep it clean, that's fine. (ie clean poo out of it straight away).  the SW should be fine with you having a tray upstairs - if questioned just say it works for now and dependant on the children you have you will reconsider the situation if needed (eg you could always put it in your bedroom or bathroom)

one of our kittens (now 9 & 10 months) is a tinker  ^bigbad^ when she was a baby if we went out as soon as we got home we would lift her into the tray to stop her weeing on the floor in excitement (clever thinking)......now though if anyone comes to the house she immediately runs to the tray and does her wee - and if we're lucky a poo too  ;D 9 out of 10 times she has done it when the SW arrives and i'm not being funny but for a gorgous kitten she has got a smelly bottom!  ^roflmao^ (on a serious note one of us just excuses ourselves from the lounge and goes to sort out the tray and SW hasn't mentioned a thing).

to get the animals on good terms could you confine them to one room together for a few minutes each day - with you or your dh there.....and gradually increase the time together and decrease your involvement? that is how we got our kitties to get on  ^reiki^

hth, ritz.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Fiona and Ritzi  ;D.
My hubby and mum thought I was mad to be worrying about it so early.
Mum said, take it away when the SW is there! hubs said, if it is an issue we will have it in our room, so stop worrying!  :-[

I think I will just take it away when the SW is there.

I guess I want things to be right and I dont want them to have any reason to say no to us, and I certainly do not want a cat litter tray to be a reason they say no.

I do clean it out regularly.

I have tried to get them together, but just getting the cat downstairs to introduce them resulted in me looking like I was self harming with slash marks all up my arms from cat claws, and down my back in her desperation to get back out of the dogs way.
We have bought calming cat pheremone stuff from the vets, to calm her down,  ;D

Ritzi - this place is much more friendly than that other place, I have found Im not worried about putting stupid posts on here,as you can see  ;D

Fiona - Yes your right, if they are 11 1/2 now, in 18 months or so they could well be dead, so I could be worrying about nothing! I can see that now it has been pointed out to me.
Phew one more thing to cross off my list of worries.  ;)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
oh hevs the cat harming comment did make me chukkle!  ;D

just play it by ear - i'm sure it'll all work out fine

^hugme^  ritz 

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hevs - just a thought but you could get one of those litter trays which have a lid on them - we have one for our cat, it's like a little house with a flap door on the front - nice and private for him (he's shy  ::) ;D ) and v. hygenic! Our SW has never even mentioned it - just asked us if he used a tray and that was all.

Lots of love
Sarah
xxx

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good thinking  ;D I have seen the litter trays with the lid, I think I might have a look at the over the weekend.  ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts