Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie looking for some advice.

My dh and I have just had our first icsi attempt ( no previous ivf attempts) and we had 100% complete fertilisation failure. The clinic said this had never happened before especially when my dh count was 14 ml, high abnormal forms 76%.

The more we look into it the more rare it seems.

Obvious we are desperate for answers. I am trying to work out whether it could be due to post / overmature eggs. I produced 10 eggs on the day. They were collected on day 15. I have read that eggs should be collected either between day 12 or day 14. Is this true?

Also I would really like to hear about the side effects other ladies felt when they took the stimulating drugs before ec.

Over the two weeks of injections I progressively felt more uncomfortable in the ovaries, finding it hard to sit down, walking became more uncomfortably until day 13, then all the pain and discomfort began to ease/disappear in the afternoon and for the next 2 days before egg collection. ( I did take the final injection on day 13 in the evening but the easing of pain had begun long
before this in the afternoon). I wondered if this was everyones experience or could it mean that my eggs matured earlier and should have been retrieved sooner. It did coincide with a weekend so instead of scans every other day i had to wait two days before my final scan ( they don’t do scans on Sunday).

I would so appreciate hearing any of your thoughts and experiences on this.

Thankyou so much for your time…

Bunnyx

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Bunny,

Your symptoms sound very similiar to mine, which I think are quite normal.  I also had exactly the same result i.e. 100% failed fertilization with no real answer why it didn't work. Often when you see posts on here about failed fertilization the experience is quite similiar i.e. doctors are unable to explain fertilization failed.  It's very disappointing not to get to ET, but the thing to bear in mind is that every cycle is different and your next cycle could be completely different.

I'm going through my 2nd cycle and hoping that the 1st time was just bad luck.

C

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C

I am so sorry to hear you have been through the same thing. Thanks for kind words.

My husband was really ill throughout this process, bronchitus, ear infection and conjunctivtus and was on antibiotics for two weeks up to egg collection. We wondered whether this might be the cause. Any similarities here with you?

I wish you all the sucess with your second try.

Bunnyx

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your failed fertilization, we had exactly the same with our first ICSI. :(
We have since been told it was my eggs, not mature enough, as DH sperm had thawed ok and was excellent quality.
We know waiting to start ICSI No 2, waiting for next AF to have day 2 bloods done then hope to start June/July!!
Wishing you all the best for your next attempt  ^pray^
Love Kelly x

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are not alone... at least that gives us some relief. I was starting to wonder whether my dh and I were some kind of new alien breed trying to populate earth! We both look human and before this shock, acted pretty much like regular humans too!
I really do wish you both sucess on your next icsi cycles.

Bunny x

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
^hugme^ I've replied to you on your other thread  ^hugme^
And if you're an alien I'm an alien too!
Lizi.x

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi B,

Last ICSI we were both fit as fiddles, so no obvious reasons why egg or sperm quality might have been an issue.  My DH has an extremely low count and very poor motility, which the doctor seemed to think was a more lof a problem then egg quality.  I don't respond so well to gonal F, so going to try an antagonist protocal this time and hope for a better fertilization rate.  The only other thing my dr mentioned was DNA fragmentation, however the NHS don't have the facilities to test, but it can affect fertilization.

Good luck for the future.

C

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
C - antagonist protocol worked better for us.
Lizi.x

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What exactly is antagonist protocol? Is this a different set of drugs? Is it administered the same?

Bunnyx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts