Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I bought some Nettle Tea the other day as I know it's high in iron & also good source of vitamin C, beta-carotene and B vitamins. Nettles also have high levels of protein (more than any other vegetable !!). As well as all that, it has lots of minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, silica, iodine, silicon, sodium and sulfur. I'd read that it was a good herbal tea to drink during pregnancy.

However, it is also a diurectic so a good detoxifier & I've just also read a few things about it may alter the normal menstrual cycle in some women & that it may not be a safe herbal formula for women that are attempting to become pregnant, are already pregnant or are nursing.

I'm now a little confused !!! I'm currently on CD26 so in 2ww & I don't wanna risk anything.

Does anyone else drink nettle tea & can anyone offer me any advice as to whether its safe for me to drink or not ??? I live on herbal teas & have had to cut out my rosehip as it also had hibicus (need to find a brand without), also only rarely drink green tea now as it can interfere with absorption of folic acid....I drink loads of peppermint tea & also camomile, vanilla & honey !

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Take care
Natasha ^reiki^

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hiya,

I'm CD12, 2ww too.  Just had my 3rd iui go last Friday.

Anyways, I would love to get an answer to this one too.  It's all so confusing.

I read from my Zita West book not to drink camomile tea.  Also someone did say do not drink nettle tea when ttc.  But I am though.  I usually just have one in the morning since it kickstarts everything (as mentioned by Gillian Mckeith).  I didn't know it was a detoxifier.  I better stop.  Now I'll have to do a search on the net.  Thanks.

I guess fruit and redbush teas are the safest?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Afternoon girls

Didn't know if this thread would be of any use to you...

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=22923.0

If I remember rightly there are a few suggestions of teas without hibiscus in to drink (I think some of the Tetley ones in tubes rather than packets are hibiscus free - and very tasty!!) There are also some links to further articles..

Good luck

Claire
x :)

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Thanks for the link...I remember reading that & another similar one. I've already stopped drinking my rosehip tea cos the hibiscus in it, only occasionally drink green tea cos it interferes with absorption of folic acid & try to be cautious about herbal infusions/teas as some can be quite potent....

Didn't know about camomile though as always heard that's fine during pregnancy as it's calming/relaxing, good for morning sickness & also constipation !

...Was just wondering if someone can clarify whether nettle tea is safe to drink during pregnancy.

Many thanks
Natasha ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
4,804 Posts
Hiya Minxy ,
Just wanted to say i think Twinnings lemon and ginger tea is quite safe to drink  ;) . ^reiki^ for your  ^2ww^
freespirit x

·
Registered
30 Posts
I meant not to drink chamomile tea when ttc, but ok during pregnancy I think.

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again

Sorry, I've never heard that camomile tea shouldn't be drunk...and if ok during pregnancy (& for babies as its calming & apparently good for colic) then surely must be ok when ttc ??? I'll have to have a little read up to check as just find really strange.

Thanks anyway...
Take care
Natasha

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Minxy - iread that its ok to drink camomile tea but camomile essential oil should be avaoided in pregnancy as it brings on AF  :-\ - haven't heard anything about nettle tea other than its good for detox and diuretic as you said
caseyxx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi ladies
I drank tons of nettle and chamomile when TTC and when pregnant.

Nettle is fab for iron and helps clean out your liver so very good for TTC - I think Zita West recommends it (from memory)

Chamomile I found really good for perking me up when I felt rubbish on stims and very good for morning sickness

I had a dictionary of herbal medicines lent to me by a friend and checked for contraindications in pregnancy and there were none with nettle or german chamomile which I belive is what we commonly drink.

Claire x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.