Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

As the title sugests I'm new and only found out yesterday that IVF is the next step for us.  I'm 27, DH is 32.  We are TTC baby #1.  We have been TTC for 2 yrs and have had 3 mc and an ep.  I have only one tube following the ectopic and my remaining tube has adhessions.  As far as we are aware DH is fine, although he is due to do a SA on the 24th Jan. 

At our appointment yesterday our consultant took bloods from me to check my hormone levels and chlamydia immunity status.  He said he will see us in 6 weeks for results and then apply for funding.

I'm at that stage where I would like to know everything.  Why did FS say he would transfer a 5 day egg rather than a 2/3?  Why is he checking chlamydia status when all std swabs have come back neg?  So many questions with only a 10 minute consultation to let information sink in, deal with emotions, create questions and answer all of consultant's questions!  :mad:

I just don't know what to do next?  I appreciate that it's all a waiting game, but this is our lives and our future and it's ou rbodies and we've just been told "this is what's happning".  :'(

·
Registered
775 Posts
Things will get easier as you get used to the jargon and the process. My only tip is to really push the consultants/nurses etc for information and don't let them rush you through. We were the same to begin with, we just sat and listened and expected the experts to make all the right decisions, but soon learnt that we needed to be in control of it, otherwise you can just be pushed through the system.

Make a list of all your questions before you go and make sure you have the answers you need before you leave. Don't always assume they will cover every angle. I can't answer your medical questions, but we have learnt that you need to be pushy. It's not that he consultants are not good, just that they always seem so busy. We have had a some great and some not so good nurses, but with all of them we have had to make sure we get the time to get the information we need.

It is a roller coaster, one minute you will get information that makes you so excited and the next something that throws you sideways.

Good luck with getting the final tests done. Just remember to sit tight and ask as many questions as you can, even if they feel daft at the time.

We have just spend the past year having lots of treatments and are now at the stage where we are going to take a breather for a while. But that sense of urgency to get the treatment has been replaced by a need to get it right. Anyway it does get easier, dealing with the professionals.  :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Mrsginge.
Deep breath! Don't panic - you're in the right place on FF. I picked up Zita West guide to fertility & conception from the local library - it answers sooooooo many questions. You can get it on amazon for bout £10. My understanding re: the 2/3day vs 5day transfer ...the embryologists monitor the eggs after collection and ideally like them to get to blastocyct stage which happens around day 5 post egg collection - I think statistically there is better chance of conception at blastocyst, but if you read on here people have has success with 2cell / 4 cell transfers on day 2 & 3 and BFNs with blastocysts. I totally agree with Slug re: taking control & being prepared with questions - consultations are a two way process - I took in 4sides of A4 questions with me at my last follow up - and fair play, the consultant let me go through everyone!
Goodluck & welcome.
DAizymay

G

·
Hi MrsGinge,

I'm also new to FF (and tx) on my first/second round of IVF (first cycle cancelled in Dec, as couldn't get to clinic in London due to snow - long, frustrating story  :( Anyway, agree with Daizymay that it's really good to think about what you want to ask and take a list. I did that for my last appt with the consultant and also wrote down what he said, as I find the whole process so much to take in that I worry that I'll forget something important later  ^idiot^ Writing things down has also means I can look things up later, if I am not sure what something means, or post on here and ask others. For big decision-making appts, we try to arrange for my DH to be there too- always feel better when I'm not on my own.

Agree about the 5 days - you do have an improved chance if the embryos get to blastocyst stage; because of my ovarian reserve and small numbers of eggs likely to be produced in any cycle, I am not expecting to get to that, but would be good if I did! However, as others have said, plenty of people are successful with less developed embryos, so hope for us all  :)

Welcome and good luck on your journey  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Jen

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts
Hello MrsGinge and welcome to FF :)

The consultations are often frustrating ^hugme^ Any other questions you have, ask away, someone will always be here to help, In the mean time I'll leave you some links shortly which should be useful :)
Please have a good look around the site and feel free to post in any area, and make yourself at home. There are many who are on their TTC journey, and others who have been fortunate to have little ones with assistance. You will soon discover that our members are very encouraging of one another and offering advice or just simple hugs. There's a vast amount of information here for everyone, so start reading, posting and getting to know others. You will make some great friends too, lots of members often have meet ups locally too, for chats, coffee, shopping or even nights out! You can share conversations with one another freely, simply because we all understand each other. It's hard when family and friends don't fully comprehend what this journey entails and the emotions that go with it. That's where we come in!

Here are some links which you should find really useful at the moment……

What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) ~ CLICK HERE

Complimentary, Holistic and Spiritual Approaches ~ CLICK HERE

Tubal Factors ~ CLICK HERE

Ectopic Loss ~ general chat and support http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=243601.0

Once you have the results from your blood tests and dh's sample then this area may come in handy ...
Starting out & Diagnosis ~ CLICK HERE

A great list of questions here for when you see your consultant next time ...
Questions for your first cycle consultation ~ (use the ones that apply) CLICK HERE

A Rough Guide To IVF ~CLICK HERE

Frequently asked questions are in this area, or ask your own ...
IVF General ~ CLICK HERE

While undergoing treatment, you might find it useful to join other ladies having treatment at the same time. The Cycle Buddies threads are just for that. Just pop along to the appropriate month and say "Hi" when you are ready to start treatment.

Cycle buddies ~ CLICK HERE

You can also chat live in our chat room. We have a newbie day in the chat room every Wednesday where you can meet one of our mods for support, meet other new members and get technical support with navigating the site and using all the functions available here. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

You can also "meet" and chat with people in your local area through the Location boards. This is especially useful to find people who may be using the same clinic and or in the same PCT area.

Wishing you lots of luck ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ and ^fairydust^
Keep in touch
Ceri xx

PS I have also sent you a pm (private message)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.