Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here and I've always thought that I could have PCOS, but have always been too afraid to see my GP about it. Only my DH knows about what I have to suffer through - I am just too afraid to tell even my closest friends.

I have virtually non-existent AFs which I used to quite be happy about but is now worrying me to no end. I also suffer from unwanted facial hair, which through time just keeps getting worse and worse. It has been depressing me pretty badly to the point where I am afraid to leave the house and even though DH is aware of my problem, I have a tendency to push him away because I just don't want him to actually see it, especially in the morning before I've had a chance to do something about it and get rid of it for the day.

I did, however, manage to get pregnant (apparently conceived 3 months after my last AF) and now have a baby girl, but my GP or Midwives didn't even raise their eyebrows when I mentioned my AF irregularity, so I just struggled through. During the pregnancy my facial hair got worse and the weeks leading up the delivery, I could only worry about if I would have time getting rid of the hair and if anyone would notice in the labour ward (it did get pretty bad might I add)

I did have my baby by emergency C-section and I don't know if it has been adding to my problems or not. That was 6 months ago, but lately I've developed a bit of pain in the region of my ovaries and as of the last few days I have been having intense pelvic pain and I am now starting to worry.

I now know that I need to see my GP and I don't like her at all!! Could this be PCOS? How can I get over my fear of mentioning the facial hair? How do GPs in general react to that? It always seems as though my GP is trying to end my appointment even before it begins! And I am really hoping to be able to try for a baby again, but have been starting to worry that DH and I have been one-time-lucky.

I also always look at my baby daughter's beautiful face and break out in tears worrying that one day she may also have similar problems.

Please help! Thanks!  :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hello there Katie

Welcome to FF. I would like to say you have come to the right place for lots of support, advice and friendship.

I can understand how you are feeling at the moment, I was 16 when I had my initial diagnosis of PCO following any emergency op for a ruptured cyst, i didn't have any if the symtoms such as weight gain, increased hair griwth ect, that came when I was 19 and 4 years later in January, I  finally got a diagnosis of PCOS.

Because I had suspected that I had had PCOS for some years until my 'offical' diagnosis, I did put myself through a certain degree of worrying, like you I was too emabarrassed initially to mention to my gynae and to show him my increase hair growth, I think he could quite clearly see at the time I was overweight and had acen, he did actually take the first step though and suggested after a failed attempt af IUI to have a closer look at the ovary the next time around & also test my bloods.

For me, it was ideal, I didn't have to do the approaching and worrying as my tests were back quite quickly.

What I would say to you is this, please do go to your GP and tell them everything you have written diwn here, maybe even print your post to show them and take along a small article about PCOS, in case the GP is unfamiliar with it, the ones on the health encylopedia on NHS Direct are very good and reptuable. You do need to get the ball rolling, the sooner that you can get diagnosed with whatever is causing your problems, the sooner you can be treated and be on the way to leading a t normal life. You also need to mention that you are looking to try for another baby at some point, if you can get the tests underway, when you do actually feel the time is right to try, then you know what intervention, if any you are going to need and you won't have to go through it there and then and have to worry about reasons for possible not conceiving.

You are in pain hun, so please, I do urge you to see your GP with some urgency, just incase it might be something else. Your GP can examine you and refer you on if need be.

I can completely understand why you are so scared about seeing your GP, do you still see your obs doctor at the hospital you had your daughter at? Is there any possibility you could get in touch with him at all if you aren't and mention these problems you are having if you have no joy with your GP.

I've never had a baby myself, so I don't know about irregularities in AF after pregnancies, but maybe you could try 'Mummies Place To Chat' in the Babydust Planning section and I am almost certain someone there will be able to help you out with that.

If you have found your normal GP unsympathetic, is there another GP in the practice you moght be able to see, or you could see your practice nurse first who might be able to speak to the doctor first on your behalf and maybe accompany you when you see the doctor. Other than that, i would encourage you to psuh the subject with your HV and say that you are worried about the possibility of having developed PCOS, you have some symptoms and could she help you? If she doesn't respond to your concerns do make it clear that you are worried for your health and you would appreciate any support or help she can offer you.

I suffer with depression which I think is partially made worse and I believe was triggered by my PCOS starting off 4 years ago. So if you do have PCOS then that might be a contributing factor to the way you are feeling right now.

As you have already said, you know you need to see your GP. You sound like you have a wonderful husband, is there any possibility he or a friend/relative like your mum could accompany you either when you ask your HV again or when you see your GP, sometimes having an extra person there can be of support to you can be the world of difference.

Your little girl might be tiny, but she would want, more than anything in the world, for her Mummy to be checked out, to be seen and to get a diagnosis rather than sitting worrying.

I am always about if you would like to chat in the chat room or you just need someone to talk to, feel free to send me an instant message if you feel that you need someone to talk to.

Please let me know how you get on & remember always here for you.

Sending you a huge hug and wishing you lots and lots of positive thoughts
Chick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chick,

I was meaning to thank you for your really kind reply - it really made me feel good and gave me the confidence to go and see my GP to talk about it. Surprisingly she was really nice and understanding and I'm going back for some more testing next week to confirm whether or not I have PCOS - she thinks I do.

I'm starting to feel as though I can stop feeling depressed about it and start to concentrate on feeling happier about myself.

Thank you so much!!!

Katie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts