Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, am new to this forum. Have been posting on another forum for ttc'ers and newly pg women, but frankly was sick of reading women getting pg the first month they announced they were ttcing.  Am happy for them, but was getting a bit much for me (hope that hasn't offended anyone  :-\_)Age  33 next month, ttcing since we were married last July.  Have posted in the men's bit for advice about hb also.

We recently had blood tests and SA back from docs.  My results indicated I had ovulated the month the test was done, but that 'one hormone was higher than it should have been' to quote the doctor.  Wish I knew which one it was, I could have done some more research.  Anyone know which it is likely to be?

Also, doc has referred me for ultrasound to look for cysts, to eliminate possibilty of pcos.  She has said if I have cysts, she will prescribe me clomid.  She didn't say what she would recommend if there were no cysts.  Does anybody have any advice?  I know people for whom clomid has been really effective, and have an image of it as some sort of 'wonder drug', but the more I read on these type of forums, the more I question this image.

Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya Mrs B

Welcome to Fertility friends

You have come to the right place for help and support

sorry to hear one of ur results was slight high, i really do hope that this can be sorted out.

Good luck for the ultrasound.

Whilst awaiting treatment why not come over to the clubhouse and join us on the chitter chatters thread

You will be made to feel very welcome!!

I hope that u and ur dh will soon have that positive to post about

Thinking about u honey

Emilyxx

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Mrs B

Your experience sound really similar to mine. My DH and I had the same tests (blood test and SA) last summer - mine showed I had ovulated but had one hormone level higher than it should be (mine was FSH - Follicle Stimulating Hormone) at 10.1 - Dr said it should be under 10. DH tests also showed poor morphology results. We were both referred to the Fertility Clinic at the QMC where the consultant told my DH not to worry about his SA results.  He said that morphology is notoriously difficult to count (excluding obvious abnormalities such as two heads or no tail) and that the QMC has a history of being particularly tough - approx 80-90% of SA going through QMC have poor morphology results. He even said he wished this information wasn't included in SA results as it is very misleading.

He went on to prescribe me Clomid to improve our chances whilst I wait for a HY-CO-SY to see of there is anything wrong with me. I have had an ultrasound every month since on Clomid to check the growth of my follicles.

Reading other posts on here though about morphology I'm beginning to think my consultant made it all up!!!! It seems that everyone else with poor morphology is being referred for ICSI.

My DH has been taking Marilyn Glenville's Fertility for Men vits for the last 6 months and he is going to have another SA to see if there has been any improvements.

I would advise your DH to take some vits. Why don't you call your Dr to find out which hormone he was talking about?

Good luck with your ultrasound.

Rach. x

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hi Mrs B

Welcome to FF!  It is a fab site and you will soon feel at home here.

If you need any help finding your way about, please let us know.

Laine x

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your responses girls, they are really helpful, and you have made me feel really welcome.

Some progress since I posted.  Received a letter from my hospital where I am to have my ultrasound scan, to find out it is a 4 month wait.  Doc said 1-2 months, so not impressed.  Have decided two courses of action, firstly have made appt with doc this week, to ask more details about the dodgy hormone (thanks rachnotts) and also to ask her what she intends to do if I don't have cysts.  If she plans to put me on clomid anyway, then I will ask if I can try, rather than wait another 4 months.  If she says no, will ask her to refer me privately.  Need to ring BUPA tomorrow to check price and waiting list, but am not impressed with NHS so far, so if I have to pay, I will.  But if the outcome is the same (ie clomid) may as well wait.

Re: vitamins, have studied marilyn glenville's website, bid on the natural solutions to infertility book off ebay, and spent £27 on vitamins for hb and myself in H & B yesterday (saved quite a bit with my 10% vege soc card).

I'd read your post previously rachnotts re: queens med, as did hb, which made him feel quite positive about dodgy morphology.  He has asked me to ask doc for more details of his test, as she failed to give us feedabck on other areas.

Hb is keen to do things as naturally as possible, hence his eagerness to load himself up with vitamins.  We have read about ICSI and IVF, but kind of hope that is a long way off, and we may become pg naturally before that time.

Phew long post! :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Just a quick one to say that trying naturally/vits didnt work for us, BUT we took the MG vits daily and DH sperm count shot through the roof and his morphology improved (count from 25mil to 180mil, morphology 10% to 15%.  So absolutely worth a try.  We also felt better too.

I always wondered why women who are ovulating would be prescribed clomid - since all it does is make you ovulate...and you are doing that anyway....?

If you can, I would recommend paying for investigations & treatment.  Mainly because it took us nearly a year to have all the tests only to be told we were unexplained.  If we had gone private we could have had it done in a matter of months and moved on to treatment.  Of course age is a factor too.  I had just turned 35 and after trying for 3 years just didnt want to waste any more time.

Good luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Megan35,

Thanks for your advice.  The vits we have consist of those recommended by MG on her website, including correct dosage, and we are both taking them.  I have also bought her book from ebay, and am planning on starting to read it tonight!

My knowledge of clomid is limited, but intend to ask doc these sort of questions on Fri.  Re: going private, am also 100% sure I will for the scan, and maybe beyond for the things I can afford.

I see from your postscript thingy you are pg, congratulations!!  Presumably this was with ICSI?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts