Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I noticed there's a previous thread on here which hasn't been active for a while so wondered if anyone was interested in starting up a new book club / picking up the previous one?

Hopefully we could set up something that'd be fun and informal and a place all us bookworms to have a good ole natter!  :)

Laney xx

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hi Laney,

I'd be very interested. I've always wanted to start one at work but only a couple of us there read.

Let's bump this for a while to see if more people are interested.

Kitty xxxx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey laney im here  ;)

Hi Kitty71  :)

I would like to join yous hopefully more will come an join too xx

·
Registered
51 Posts
:) Hi i would love to join your book club xx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hiya CarrieAnn32 & welcome ;) xx

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hi everyone  ^Cuddle^

k xx

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
count me in too  :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi and welcome kitty, carrieanne and nordickat!  :) Hello again jo-a  :)

Yay we have the makings of a group! Hmm not sure what we do now....  ;D... are you reading anything at the mo that we could all pick up or shall we start in a few weeks? or is everyone ready to start now? We could work it so that we each get a chance to choose a book and then after say 4 or 6 weeks arrange a date to catch up and have a chat about it?  I noticed the other group did a poll for the type of book to choose but iv no idea how we do this? Questions questions...!x x

·
Registered
135 Posts
Haha !! In all the excitement didn't consider the next step  ;D

I am ready whenever I'll try an find out about the poll and report back asap on that I havnt read anything for a while maybe we could choose something out the current best sellers list maybe ? Just an idea . Arranging a date after a few weeks of reading  sounds good laney 

Hiya nordickat

Xxx

·
Registered
135 Posts
To have a poll we have to start a new poll instead of new topic we could do that or just say what we like on our posts what do you's think ?

Xxx

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi "bookmarking" ;D
may be offlin-ish for a couple of weeks though.

enjoyed the last 2 we read through the old book club on here although noone seemed to discuss them much after  ;D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi there

I would love to join too! I am already in a bookgroup in my town - but you can never read too many books!  ;D

My fave authors include Rose Tremain, Susan Hill, Peter James, Sara Waters so mix of everything really esp contemporary fiction, historical fiction and crime. Up for anything. I have just started reading The Room by Emma Donoghue. Not sure its the right upbeat type of thing though as it is about a mum and small boy imprisoned in a room. It was recommended to me by a pregnant friend and will be on the TV bookclub- but maybe something more upbeat would be better?!  :) :) :)

Mistygal x

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Morning everyone,

;D I didn't consider how you actually 'do' a book club either. I just thought I'd like it as I'm a complete bookworm. When I die I plan to be reincarnated as a bookshop owner, one with a little coffee shop attached  :) . Can you believe my Dh wants me to get a Kindle so I stop filling the house with books  :eek: it's just not right if you ask me!

Mistygal - I'm reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, which isn't very upbeat either. I can finish it quickly and start something new though. I haven't read The Room yet but I'll read anything I'm told to.

Katxxx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi twiceblessed and mistygal  ^wave^

kat its not the same is it ive got a ds and i got the card with 100 books on but it gets on my nerves a actual book is so much better  ;) i love the book / coffee shop dream to  :)

xx

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone and welcome Twiceblessed & Mistygal, I look forward to chatting with you and the other ladies on here  :)

Kat – you’re book/coffee shop idea sounds fab, and I totally agree on the kindle thing, dh wanted to get me one for xmas to save space but I said no ta it’ll just gather dust! He’d should build me a library instead  ;D

Thanks for looking up the poll thing jo-a, happy to go with saying what we like on our posts. So here goes……

I’m a fan of a typical romcom! Sad I know, Jane Green, Sophie Kinsella, Katie Fforde etc. are some of my faves and was also hooked on twilight saga but fear not, over the past year I have broadened my horizons and I’m totally happy to read anything provided it holds my attention for more than 5 minutes.  ;D

Hehe well until now I never even knew about the TV book club! So that’s what the green specsavers sticker is….  ^idiot^  Shall we pick something from there? I don’t mind if it’s not the most upbeat book as long as it avoids the ‘you know what’ subject!!

Laney xx

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Laney - stear clear of My Daughters Keeper. Its a afb book but veyr much about the taboo subject. My DH has put library lower down the list than wine cellar but I thought that was OK as the only thing that beats hiding yourself in a book is doing it with a glass of vino  :) It seems we have very different taste as I had to even look up Katie Fforde  :-[ so I obviously need to expand my horizons.

I'm not in the UK so rely on amazon and the last 2 orders I did I just chose randomly and all I did was make sure it had a good rating and that was it. Its so exciting that way, and so far so good.

I just checked out the TV book club book list and I'll happily read any of them.

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the link misty gal I like the sound of both of them  :)

Xxx

·
Registered
51 Posts
:) Hi Everyone ,
          All the books sound good . I think a  Lighthearted read would be good for our first one x ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hi all,

I'm happy with any choice, I'll check out the TV list.

My DP was a real Bibliophobe (although he did manage to read a Jeremy Clarkson autobiography once) but then I introduced him to audiobooks. He does love a good story so I read and he listens and it works!! My cookbook fetish drives him crazy though  ;D

Kitty xx

1 - 20 of 86 Posts