Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^hello^

I thought I'd start up a new Breast Feeding support as the last one hasn't been used for ages and there must be some other mums out there who are breastfeeding.
I am breastfeeding my daughter Ella who is now 3wks & 5 days old and we have taken to it really well. I am now planning to express for the weekends so that my DH can take over the evening feeds of a weekend and I will continue to breastfeed all other times. Does anyone know the best time of day to express your milk? Also this may sound like a stupid question but we have just bought a Medela Harmony Manual Pump but the instructions are all pictures which aren't the best to understand  ::) Do you have to sterilise a breast pump as I thought you would have to but looking at the pictures it just shows washing it in soapy water??

Dellxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Dell

I used to express the night feed initially during the mornings when my supply was at its highest, and then I switched to the evenings.  Probably best to stick to one time or the other though. 

It's so much easier when you can share the feeding with dh.  I used to bf all day and then dh and I would alternate nights to give expressed milk from a bottle, meaning every other night we'd have an uninterrupted night's sleep.  Worked brilliantly.  I never actually bf at night and so never produced milk and at that time, so never had to deal with the uncomfortable engorgement that would've happened on the nights dh was feeding. 

Something worth bearing in mind though is that if you don't express at the time you would normally feed, ie. the time dh is now going to give a bottle, you will loose that feed from your supply.  But the time you express will soon be catered for on a regular basis, so you'll have the supply there to put in a bottle.  It may take a little while though to establish and increase that supply though for the bottle feed. 

You do need to sterilise a breast pump and all accessories as the milk will pass through it and into the bottle, so could pick up any 'nasties' on the way through. 

Good luck and happy breast feeding - such a special time, I miss it a lot  :)

Love

Jayne x

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Jayne. I think I'm going to try expressing after the Thursday/Friday evening feeds and my as I'm only expressing for the Friday & Saturday night feeds (4 feeds in total) my boobs will be full on the Sat & Sun mornings so I will express then too or I'm sure I'll wake up feed times anyway so if my boobs feels very full I suppose I could always express some out then. I suppoe it's a case of trial & error to find the best time.

You're right, breastfeeding is such a special time. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

Dellxx

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have the expressing for the weekend night feeds sorted now. At first I had to express on the Thurs & Friday to get enough milk for the Friday night, I then expressed on the Sat morn for Sat night and the Sun morn for the following Friday night and have kept going like that (Sun am for Fri pm and Sat am for Sat pm). This works well for me.

At first when my DH started to do the weekend night feeds I was really missing getting up and feeding Ella and was contemplating doing it myself again but then I thought no, DH although not the best without his continuous sleep is really enjoying getting up to feed Ella  ^drink^ and it's only fair to give it a little longer at least, but now I look forward to getting more sleep at the weekends and it's working well as I get up to do the 7am ish feed and stay up then and DH has a little lie in. Ella only gets up once in the night anyway now and that is 4am on the dot (from 9.30pm) so hopefully she will be through the night soon  ;)

Dellxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts