Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have been floating around looking on this forum for a few days now and thought I would post on here to get a bit of advice as I seem to be self diagnosing!

My partner and I have been together for years and I've been off the pill for 18 months now. I can't say we've been actively trying to conceive for that time as we both work shifts and we're not always together at the right times!  ^bigbad^

In October my period didn't come along as it was meant to and we got very excited. I took numerous tests but all neg and was getting cramps and generally felt very strange.  I had had one day of bleeding towards the end of my cycle and the doc thinks I had an early miscarriage and the cramping was due to cysts on my ovaries.  He referred me for a scan which showed a small (2-5cm) sub mucous Fibroid at the top of my uterus.  I went to see a gynae consultant who straight away booked me in for a hysterosopy and dye through my ovaries.

I ended up having a laproscopy and dye last Monday to remove what we thought was my fibroid at the top of my uterus an here is why I'm confused.  The consultant saw me as soon as I came round and said that he couldn't remove it as it was too big. He then said he'd talk to me later and came to see me on the ward but I was still really groggy and unfortunately no one else was with me when he saw me.  I remember him showing me pics of my uterus and I think I remember him saying it filled my uterus??? And I needed three injections then another op.  In any case I was given an injection that I was told was a hormone injection and two more dates 4 weeks apart to have two more.  The piece of paper I have been given says I am having triptorelin injections.

Over the last week I have tried to call my consultant and have been faced with his secretaries answer phone where I have left messages but not had any response yet.  I have called my docs but they haven't had anything from him either.

Sorry for the long post but I'm a bit lost as to where I'm going.  I have numerous questions in my head that I need to ask the consultant when I eventually speak to him, but would be grateful for any help from you girls that have been through this and any advice as to what I need to find out as I feel very left in the dark! ^idiot^

Thank you in advance!

Sarah
Xxx

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Hi Sarah
welcome hun, it sounds like your cons is concerned about the size of your fibroid as these monthly injections are usually given to reduce the size of the fibroid, making it easier to remove during surgery, these hormonal injections (there are a few variations, I was on Zoladex, but they all do the same thing) reduce blood loss during surgery too.
If your fibroid is filling your uterus, it must be big - and therefore you could be looking at having a myomectomy - which is classed as major surgery and the only risk which has to be mentioned is the extremely low risk of a hysterectomy.
I hope this helps fill in some gaps, anything you want to know is right here, ask any questions you like, this board is very supportive and friendly...so you really don't need to google anything.
Best Wishes
Sheila 

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi Sarah -
I agree with Shelia, sounds as though they are trying to shrink your fibroid before surgery, although its crazy that they didn't discuss precisely what they were going to do beforehand.  I think you need to get to see/ speak to your cons straight away so you know what the treatment plan is.  I'm not sure what your GP will be able to tell you but he could be key to getting you some answers .  Dealing with fibroids is never straight forward but the most important thing is to get as much information as possible.  One thing I would suggest is that you write down all of your questions beforehand (dint worry they pretty much seem to expect this) so that when you eventually do get to speak with your consultant you come away with all the information you need.   
Once you've done that you can come and sound it out with us, Ive so far I have found this board to by a sanity saver!!!!

Good luck hun and keep us posted  ^hugme^

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you ladies, still no call from my consultant, I will chase again tomorrow.  TBH I think I gave him all the signals that I understood completely after my op, when quite clearly I didn't! Im so glad I found this forum, as I'd never heard of fibroids until last November and it's refreshing to know I'm not alone.

Sarah
Xxx

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Shame on your consultant for giving you all the 'information' without a nurse or a relative in attendance.... he should know better than anyone, nothing goes in/stays in after being zonked out !!!

Keeps chasing, but in the meantime we're here any time you have any questions

All the best
Sheila

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello all

I'm still chasing the consultant.  I feel like I'm stalking his secretary, I've left a message on her phone everyday this week and I've heard nothing.  I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation but I have so many unanswered questions in my head I'm going slightly insane (some might say that is nothing new!) ;D

I rang my GP and they havent heard from the cons so they cant add anything really.  From what ive read on here from what you have all been through it would seem that I'm heading for a myo in the near future.

One q I do have is about bleeding.  I was in full flow (sorry!) when I had my lap on 21st feb and my first injection and I haven't stopped bleeding since, in fact it's got very heavy today.  Is that normal?

Thank you for being so supportive.

Sarah x

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hello Sarah

I am currently on same injections waiting for my myo and i have been bleeding constantly since my first one too i spoke to someone who said this will prob stop after the next injection so it seems to be normal.. Hope u enjoy the rest of the weekend.. x

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I bled til after my second zoladex injection - I think the body and it's cycle just goes haywire anyway while you're going through these hormonal injections - cos once the hormones kick in, you'll be having hot flushes and night sweats xxx

All the very best
Sheila

·
Registered
544 Posts
Kellyboo,
How did you have your previous fibroids removed???  Ive got a couple of large ones (fibroids that is!!! ;D) and would be interested to learn what youve tried in the past....

xx

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Shelia, I'll look forward to them!  And thanks to both of you, it's good to have some reassurance.

xxx

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hello MissTee

I have had 2 Hysteroscopic Resections  and 1 laparoscopic myomectomy  to remove fibroids however all returned within a year  they were unable to remove the largest fibroids during these procedures only the smaller ones. I am now booked in on the 7th April for an open myomectomy and am currently on zoladex injections. Hopefully this operation will be successful and they will be able to remove all of the fibroids and i am on the list for ivf/icsi for when i have recovered from the operation. An open myomectomy is a scary thought but i think it is the only real way of successfully removing them for me and i cant carry on with my periods how they are at the moment leaving me constantly anaemic and them affecting my fertility.

Hope that Helps

Kelly x x

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update!

Had a call from another consultant today, my cons is off sick!  She has explained to me that I have a large fibroid that they will try to reduce in size thru the injections and that I need another op that is a bigger procedure than the laproscopy, so it would seem from what you lovely ladies have said that I am heading for a myomectomy.  She is getting her secretary to call me to arrange an appointment to go in and see her so that I can go thru any questions I have with her and will send a letter to me with the op date.  She did confirm that my tubes appear to be clear.....

Phew!

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Sarah
At least you have a better idea of what you're up against hun, but believe me, its no-where near as bad as you would ever expect.
Anything you need, we're right here hun
Best wishes
Sheila

·
Registered
544 Posts
...sounds like your making progress Sarah,  :) ....remember to have all your questions ready for your appointment!!!  ;)

Thanks for sharing Kellyboo....Ive got my follow up scan results in April so will be able to tell if theyve grown over the last 3/4 months...  I have been taking herbs which the chinese doc reckons will help to shrink the smaller ones I have.... we'll see though.  I wish you all the very best for your myo on the 7th hun...Im sure that you will be fine, keep us all posted.    ^hugme^

Miss Tee x x

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all, just want to get my date now.  Your support, guidance and reassurance on this site is so much appreciated.  I'm glad I found it!

Sarah x

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Sarah, we're here whenever you need us..... but yep I know what you mean, I'd have been lost without the support of the lovely ladies on here when I was going through it too.

All the very best
Sheila

1 - 16 of 16 Posts