Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to all this and quite overwhelmed! I've come here because its difficult to find someone who understands. 
Well, me and my DH have been TTC for a couple of years. No luck. I started investigations before xmas and found out at the beginning of the year that both tubes are blocked  :( So.... IVF is the only option. Am going for my next appointment next week and hopefully starting treatment in June. Anybody give me the low down on what to expect? Am really nervous !!  :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi i had blocked tubes also ,had them bth removed 2mth ago!I had 2 failed treatments one a frozen cycle last year !hope 2 start another cycle in july.I know how u feel knowin ivf is the only optin 2 have children,its an emotional thing ivf but with gud support u get through it.I was really nervous n anxious starting treatment also jst try 2 stay positive,sumtimes easier said then done i know! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for the message. Am sorry to hear you've had to go through failed treatments. That must have been really tough. What was it that caused them to fail? Fingers crossed for July.  ^pray^ Am trying to be positive and don't want ot sound like a moaner when I haven't been through half of what a lot of people on here have been through, it's just all a bit of a shock - not how I'd imagined having child. I guess I took it for granted that i would be able to have kids naturally.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi Bess  :),

I know how you feel hunni, we got referred for IVF last July and i just cried when i thought that was our only hope, but it is a fantastic opportunity and i am sure that by doing this you will get what you want. I decided to speak to someone who had gone through to get a ladies perspective as my sis-in-law had a friend who had it and it worked first time.  She scared me half to death!!! I had first go in Dec 10 and unfortunately that didn't work but i got 8 frozen embryos and am just having process to have 2 of them put back.  I can honestly say it is no where near as scary as it sounds it found it fine and had a fab hubby there for me, and women do this all over the world time and time again. Just know that you are not on your own and will find some amazing people on here who will be there to understand and offer tips and support.

Once you get your head round it you will be so motivated and just want to get on with it, thats just how i felt, it just needs to sink in. But you will get there and i wish you all the luck in the world.  ^hugme^ xx

·
Premium Member
12,192 Posts
to FF, Bess!!! This is a great website for support, information, laughter and friendship, it has kept me (relatively!) sane though all my treatment. Have a good look round the site, post in whatever section you want and make yourself at home. There are so many sections here with a huge amount of information, so whatever you are going through there will be someone here to help you.

I know what you mean about it being a shock about not being able to have children naturally, it is something that I found really hard to get used to. When I moved in with my DH we bought a 5 bedroom house and planned to fill it full of noisy boisterous little ones! - but unfortunately that isn´t going to be the case. We are just blessed that one of our treatments worked and we have our gorgeous daughter.

Here are a couple of links that I think might help you.

IVF General chat ~ CLICK HERE

Tubal Factors ~ CLICK HERE

Complimentary, Holistic and Spiritual Approaches ~ CLICK HERE

Keep a diary of your treatment (or read the experiences of others) ~ CLICK HERE

Questions for your first cycle consultation ~ (use the ones that apply as this is for ICSI) CLICK HERE

While undergoing treatment, you might find it useful to join other ladies having treatment at the same time. The Cycle Buddies threads are just for that. Just pop along to the appropriate month and say "Hi" when you are ready to start treatment ~ CLICK HERE

The What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) thread will give you some info on how to navigate the site ~ CLICK HERE

If you look on the main forum index you will find location boards. You can find others in your area, and even people going to the same clinic who will provide invaluable advice - some groups even have meet ups.

Please feel free to ask more questions here, or on any other part of the site, there will be wonderful helpful people there to give you lots of support, information and cyber hugs if you need it. We go through all the highs and lows of treatment together, and even have a good "moan" when we need to!

Good luck!!! ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Sue ^hugme^

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi i had adhesions due to havin pelvic inflammatory disease and also they had fluid which was causin me pain thats why had them removed both blocked!it is tough wen it fails but wat can u do!jst got 2 build urself bk up its hard but....i also never thought id have to go through this u jst always seem 2 think u can have a child naturally.ur not moanin at all wat ur goin through is tough n people on hear understand we r all in the same boat even though we all have diff probs.Jst try stay positive n if u need any support im hear 2 talk .hope all goes well at ur appointment gud luck :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi Bess - as Em Mac says it is not as bad as you imagine. I think the hardest thing I found with my first round was having to rearrange my schedule and make up excuses for missing things at the last minute because of the scans. The injections can be a bit tricky to begin with but you get used to them and when you stop you almost miss not having to do them. Honestly after a while you will become non-pluse to using them. I used to really cringe at putting a needle in but now -- no problemo  ;D

The scans are fine too -- just don't be afraid to ask the nurse lots of questions about how your follicles are doing and whether they are what the nurse would expect.

Egg Collection is fine for most women - I actually look forward to mine because of the sedation, lovely feeling and you don't half get a good sleep afterwards.

The 2WW is the hardest part for most women, they can be the longest 2 weeks of your life, constantly checking for symptons and wishing away the day one minute and the next not wanting to time to go because you are scared of the result. But you get through it. I would recommend joining a cycling thread as you can speak to ladies who are going through the same stage as you and it really helps.

Anyway good luck with your cycle and it you want anymore info or just to rant, we are here.
xx

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hi Bess.

I echo everything that Slug said there, it is not as bad as you build it up to be in your mind. I was terrified of starting injections to point I considered cancelling treatment  ^idiot^ . However, once I got used to loading up the injection correctly without losing any liquid (thats the most stressful part of it), it wasn't at all bad.

Slug was one of my cycle buddies and unfortunately, we didn't get lucky this time, but we will both be going again very soon. You really would be better to join a cycle buddies thread once you start, it will help keep you sane as the worst part is the 2ww....it really drags and you spend 2 weeks analysing every twinge. For me, the 2ww was definitely the hardest part of the treatment....well, other than the BFN of course...but maybe next time things will be different  ^pray^

Good luck and try not to worry, you will be just fine xxx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your messages. This place is AMAZING. I am already feeling a LOT better about things. Joining FF is the most helpful thing I've done yet to deal witha ll this. Much appreciated  ^clapping^

·
Registered
651 Posts
Glad this has helped you Bess, I have only really stated coming on here while going through FET, didnt bother with my fresh cycle in Dec 10, but i wish i had now as it would have helped deal with the dreaded BFN!!!

I hope you get your head round things soon and get to that 'bring it on!! stage as it makes you feel like you are actively doing positive about it.

good luck with you journey, there will be a light at the end for you i am sure  ^fairydust^

Em xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts