Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We've been told the only way we can have children is via IVF with ICSI.  My sperm count is very low, due to a varicocele.  Because the varicocele was discovered too late, it's caused permanant testicular damage & permanantely reduced my fertility, something I'm devastated about.....

We're booked in for our first appointment at Bourn Hall in a few weeks - bit apprehensive about what's going to happen.  I feel really bad that my wife is basically going to be suffering because of me.  She's been great though and doesn't blame me though.  I still feel bad for what's going to happen...

I know the IVF is going to be very tough, both physically for the wife, and emotionally for the two of us.  I don't know how things are going to turn out but I do know this is going to be one hell of an emotional roller-coaster. 

However it looks like there is a lot of people here in the same boat as us, so hopefully there's people here who can relate to what we're going through.

All the best to everyone on the forum - hope everything works out for you and I'm looking forward to chatting/maybe meeting some of you...

Regards

Joey

·
Registered
174 Posts
Joey, a warm welcome to you and your wife, you will find a lot of support on these boards. I found that going through IVF with my husband brought us even closer together. Knowing that your partner really cares about everything that is happening is the best support anyone can have. Best of luck with everything ahead :)

Sara

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya Joey

Welcome to fertility friends

I am sure you and ur wife will find lots of support and advice

Bourn Hall is our local clinic and all of the staff there are lovely

There is a support group held in peterborough where a few of the giirls from bourn hall attend and theres one or two members from bedfordshire too if u and ur wife are interested in attending one of the future meetings, my DH often attends so no need to worry about being the only blokey!!

Wishing u lots of luck for your and ur wifes icsi
why not pop along to the mens room for a chat with the guys going thru if treatment

Best wishes
Emilyx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hello Joey Welcome.

Just a quick post to offer you support.

Sorry to hear of your condition, i hope it's not to painful. My DH was diagnosed with having a varicocele last year, shortly after he had a stamp to the groin whilst playing football. He was told he had a hydrocele but after it became increasingly painful we pushed to have investigations done privately and we discovered he had a blood clot on his groin, when this was operated on it was discovered that he had testicular cancer and he lost one of his testicles. (after a bit of chemo he was fine and is now all clear)

When we spoke with our urologist he informed us that if only on testicle was damaged then the other would still be fine and any future problems may be solved with operations.
Just wanted to ask if you have been offered any options of surgery, as i know varicocele's usually only happen in one testicle?

There is a fantastic thread on here that we are joined to and thats ICSI Male factor, there are some fantastic people on there, all of them have the male factor problem in common, so i'm sure you could be at home there. Or there is a special place for men to chat on their own.
Hope you find a little place to settle.
If you fancy a chat anytime about the whole varicocele thing, feel free to pm me..
Ju x

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
p.s. we are from hertfordshire.. not far from you...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.