Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I thought I would pluck up the courage to start a new thread and ask if anyone is going through something similar?

I'm 36 and embarking on my first cycle of IVF after trying to conceive Baby #2 - I have "undiagnosed Secondary Infertility".  My Husband and I are self funding at the Wessex, as we aren't entitled to NHS funding as we already have a 7 year old daughter. 

It's now Day 3 and after an Ovary scan yesterday I started on Gonal-F this morning - they have put me on a higher dose 300iui as my AMH came back as 7 (which apparently isn't that great).  There were a few tears yesterday, but hoping that the 9-10 follicles are going to be good little 9-10 follicles and stew up some special little eggies for us.  ^pray^

Also can someone help me with some of the simple short-hand, as haven't got a clue what I'm doing?  Is DH Husband?

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
/bump

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hi Girlyhalfwit,

We have an initial appointment in early June with the view to starting self-funded IVF for #2 so you're a bit ahead of us.  How are you finding the treatment?  Wishing you lots of luck with it.

Best wishes,

Bubbs

P.S.  Yes, DH stands for Dear Husband  :).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Treatment absolutely fine (I'm on am Antagonist Cycle with Gonal F  - which is short protocol - me thinks).....not sure about state of mind though - think I'm losing the plot.  So much is going on in my brain, that there's not much room for remembering other stuff.  Have turned into complete idiot ......well more than I was before.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AmandaB - am I being really thick  ^idiot^- hence the name.  What does "Bump" mean?  Forgive me but never used a chat room before!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to this as well so glad to see someone else in the same boat.  We had have a 5 yr old and are now waiting for my next period (3wks) to we start ivf.  I'm a bit clueless with the drugs but wil be seeing the nurse next week... I think I'm on the short cycle as they didn't mention about shutting my system down, is that what you're on?  My AMH came back at 35 so there must be different scales.
How are you feeling about it all?
Xx

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Iclark:  Hi, I'm on an Antagonist Cycle - I was just about to look it up, as know clue what that means and a lot of other people seem to be on a different type of protocol.  The thing is, is at the moment I don't know where my brain has gone - not that there was much to start with, but it's a bit like pregnancy brain.  I don't think it's the drugs, just my state of mind.

I started my period last week and started taking Gonal F (FSH Stimulation) on Friday (Day 3).  I was really weepy after having my ovary scan on Thursday, but that went away after I started the injections - think that was mostly nerves and worrying about my low AMH, which I only found out about while having my scan.  This week I feel fairly positive and am fairly happy - just my stomach is churning quite a bit - that is nerves.  I start another series of injections tomorrow, Cetrotide (Antagonist Drug?) to add in with the Gonal F - I've got another scan this Friday and also Monday and then they will make the decision: To flush or not to flush (EC). It's all happen a bit quick, but that is probably good, as not had extra time to worry about it.  Just trying to be positive and handle the waking up at 4.30am with head jammed full of useless stuff and the sleep walking....pure nutter!!!
Where are you having treatment?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Girlyhalfwit: there are so many different protocols and it's all too confusing - I'm looking forward to having it all explained by the nurses soon!!  I'll be taking Menopur and then Cetrotide - assuming mixed in together as Dr told me I would be injecting for a max of 10 days.
We were under Barts in London for 3 failed IUIs but we transferred nearer home to the Nuffield in Essex - how about you?
Have you tried reflexology?  I've been havng it for about 3 months now and think it's fab.  totally relaxes you and gets your body and mind in sync.  I'm not a spiritial nutter (although it sounds it) but I find it helps to relax me.. anything is worth a go.
Try to keep positive - it's all for a good cause.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done acupuncture and reflexology - the acupuncture I came to dread it every week, as sure that I got more and more tense about the needles.  My friend does reflexology, but I moved 2 years ago and don't see her as much.

Think you are on the same Protocol as me, as in my Personal Treatment Booklet, there are 3 drugs listed under the FSH Stimulation Injection - Puregon, Menopur (which she has crossed out) and Gonal F which I am now taking.  I should only be injecting for about 10 days too; depending on when they decided to EC.  I've got one other injection to take the day before EC, which is the trigger drug and then a load of pessaries to stick up my ***** once the have done ET.

Did your consultant tell you why they had chosen that protocol - I think I may have been told but can't remember or I should have asked but too DOOPID  ^idiot^

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry forgot to answer you question:  we are at the Wessex in Southampton.  They are very nice!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it's because my egg reserve is good so I'm on the lowest dosage injections.... I'm seeing the nurse on 24th May so all should be clearer then.  I did think they would have to shut my system down so I'm so glad I'm not on that protocol.
I feel so much more relaxed now that we changed from Barts... although the staf were fab, their whole system was a nightmare and the appointments were never on time - oftern over 1 1/2 hours late which sent me over the edge.  Being local has made me feel so much better.. I can take on the world now  ;D
How are you feeling today?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not too bad - I added the Cetrotide yesterday (Day 7), so now on 2 injections a day.  Was quite a bit different from the Gonal, as was a Syringe rather than the Gonal pre-filled pen and had to mix an powder and solvent.  I was much more hestitant to inject, as the needle looks longer, so i jabbed myself and didn't go through with it, so my Mum stuck it in for me.  It was fine though, you just have to go for it and be quick give it a bit of force (i.e stab yourself quickly, don't fanny about being gentle) and it doesn't hurt.
I'm on 300 iui for Gonal F - which I believe is a highish dose due to low AMH.  Cost more too, as all my drugs cost £1000.
I've got my scan and bloods on Friday and another 1 on Monday - they said the second one was most likely be the one where they decide to collect, but either way looks like Monday or Wednesday next week for EC.....EEEEEKKKKKK!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Bump was just bumping the post up the page because you'd had no replies!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you - afraid all a bit new to me.  I just bought a Blackberry the other day and god was that scary using it for the first time.  Was trying to use it to look at this website, but gave up in the end and just using the good old Desk-top, where I feel nice and safe!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My drugs arrived today and I am now a nervous wreck... I seem to have enough needles for the next year!!!! Why so many??? I have them in the yellow bin as well as in the vial boxes!!!!! Yikes.... And breathe.

My cost was £800 and got them from Centre Care in Hampshire, did you do loads of research on where to buy?

God luck for your scan, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got mine through the Wessex (my clinic) - perhaps I should have done a bit of research, but couldn't be bother to add extra stress.

Don't worry too much about the needles - I injected myself right from the beginning, it's easy and you hardly feel it - honestly!!!!  Don't do it alone though, as the first time it's nice to have someone there to double check everything with you.

Yes there should be loads of needles in the box with the Gonal pen - I only use 3 per pen, as on 300 iui and the pens are loaded with 900 iui - I figure the other needles are there for people on a mega low dose and in case any are faulty.  The Cetrotide looks scary, with the massive canulated needle for mixing the powders, but is just as simple and painless as the Gonal. But why are there needles in the bin - are they ones that have been used before and you have been given a sharps box that has already been used?  I would double check that!!!

Prepare to turn into a halfwit - to much on your mind to cope with anything else  ^idiot^

My tummy feels rather bloated and tender and I was a bit worried, but spoke to the nurse this morning and everything is normal.  I'm in tomorrow to count follicles and have a blood test!  Fingers crossed everything is as it should be.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had another load of drugs to pay for today, as they are leaving me until Monday to see if the follies will grow a bit more.  That's another £180, but hopefully worth every penny, as my follies have doubled since they counted last week!  Day 3 I had about 9 follicles and today she counted about 18.  Some are small and she doesn't expect them to grow quick enough, but she said that I had the same amount as she would expect from someone half my age......not bad for a crusty old 36 year old  ;D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
That's great news that your follies are doing well, no so good that you've had to shell out mire cash though... But fingers crossed for you.
Dh has said he would do all the injections so I feel a bit better now. They were spare needles in the bin but not sure why as there seems to be enough in the boxes with the vials.... Maybe just in case they put them in.
What day of your cycle are you on now?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On Day 12 now - getting used to the needles now and not being so anal about reading the literature everytime I inject myself.  Glad that although I have lost some weight doing Weight Watchers, I have still got a bit of a tummy, as there is plenty of flesh to inject into.  Tell Hubby to be a bit brutal with the injection, as if you are a bit timid, then the needle tends to bounce off the skin and jab you.  Go in for a good stabbing and I was so surprised that it didn't hurt!!
I was expecting to need more drugs, as I only had enough to take me to Day 11, as they don't give you too many, especially at that price, as you don't want any left over and all that money go down the gurgler.  Think I may need to buy some more when I go again tomorrow, as they think that EC might not be until Wednesday at the earliest.
I'm really lucky at the Wessex, as the entire process is done by the Consultants (who are all female) and they are all very friendly and it's great as you get to ask questions as you go along.
Any way must get back to shouting at my family - bit arsey today, as got a headache - not sure if drugs or stress :)
When are you starting the Injections Iclark?

·
Registered
14 Posts
DH is looking forward to it worryingly!!! We have nurses tomorrow to go through everything but I'm just waiting for my next period - should be 6 June and then start injections on day 2... I've just been looking at my IUI notes and have had 3 follies over 18mm on clomid around the 10 day mark so hopefully I'll respond as just as well with injections and I won't have to do more than 10 days of letting DH stab me!
At least you have an excuse to blame being arsey LOL!  How was your scan today?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts