Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 43 years old (birthday November 26). I became infertile at age 19 from Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (blocked fallopian tubes). I am an American citizen living in the Netherlands with my Dutch husband.

I started my first IVF cycle two weeks ago. Five days prior to starting IVF hormones, I fell down hard on my back at the beach. Three days into IVF hormone shots, I became ill with the flu. On day #10, I went for a sonogram, at which point, I had only one egg at 1mm visible. My medication was upped on day #10 - and they added PUREGON to the protocol. On day #14, I went in for a second sonogram, at that point, I had three eggs measuring 5mm.

I was informed that I had to have at least 10 eggs measuring 18mm each. The two female doctors were very kind and said that perhaps I had a bad menstrual cycle. Then the male doctor came in and said that I am just too OLD, and that if this doesn't work on a second try (developing eggs), that I should just forget it altogether. Therefore I have stopped this IVF cycle.

Right now I feel like I am in a fog. I am very depressed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether I should start again on my next cycle? Or should I wait one month and then begin another cycle? Thanks for listening ~ Blue Girl in Holland

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Hi Bluegirl,

So sorry you had to abandon your tx cycle.  At our hospital they say you can just wait one month before having another go, although many people take a little more time to recover emotionally. 

You might be feeling like you should have another go asap given your age (and the insensitive comments from the doctor), but you could think about taking a short break and focussing on your diet, taking some vitamins, having some acupuncture or reflexology, maybe trying some chinese herbs, etc so you are really in the best condition you can possibly be in before you have another go.  I personally havent tried all the things I've just suggested, but I do have acupuncture and that helps (if nothing else it keeps me relaxed!) and my dh and I both take lots of vitamins and try to eat a healthy diet.  You'll find lots of people on this site who have tried other things and there are lots of success stories.  I can recommend you Zita West's book "fertility and conception" (you can get it on Amazon) as she talks about all the things you can do to get yourself into tiptop condition. 

At the end of the day its your decision, and you and your dh have to do what feels right for you.  Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the luck in the world.

Love Olwen xx 

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hello bluegirl,

I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time at the moment. I'm afraid that I cannot offer you any advice as I am only just starting my first cycle myself, but I wanted to welcome you to FF and let you know that there are so many people here to offer you help and support. You really have come to the right place.  Like Olwen has said the Zita West book is a great place to start if you decide to take a bit of time to prepare for your next cycle.

Sending you a big hug,

^Cuddle^

Love Kty xxxx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Andrea
I'm with my friend Olwen on this one - maybe try some alternative therapies for a little while and then think about having another go. I've done acupuncture and diet too, it really helps me to feel positive and healthy through treatment cycles.

But don't let doctors say mean things to you. 

Incidentally, I'm surprised they said you have to have 10 follicles over 18mm for egg collection - I don't know if it's different over there or whether it's because of a different treatment for your age, but at my clinic they will do egg collection with a minimum of 4 follicles over 16mm.  You could try asking your clinic why they want such a high response before continuing.  If my clinic had stuck to that sort of criterion I would not have completed either of my IVF cycles - my second one although I had 16 follicles in all, only 5 measured over 16mm!  We got 3 eggs and 2 embryos and I very nearly conceived.  They are adjusting my hormone dose each time in response to the amount I stimulate.  Were you on the highest dose you could be?

So perhaps spend a couple of months doing some research as well as looking after yourself physically, so you can go in there fighting!!

good luck,
Claire xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts