Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7397774.stm
Scientists have used gene analysis techniques to help identify the genetic profile of IVF embryos that result in a successful pregnancy.

The Australian researchers believe it could end the need to transfer more than one embryo into a woman's womb to maximise the chances of success.

If only viable embryos were selected, there would be no chance of potentially risky multiple pregnancies.

The study appears in the journal Human Reproduction.
Do read the whole thing. I think it is a little misleading as it seems to imply all ET involve a blast and as we know that is far from the case. Plus the research is still going on to find which are the marker genes, the team are a LONG way from a reliable test.

Lizi.x

/links

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
"Consequently many clinics transfer more than one embryo to maximise the chance of success. In the UK clinics are supposed only to transfer a maximum of two, but in some cases they opt for three.

This raises the odds of a multiple pregnancy, with raised risk to both the mother and her babies."

I agree that the article is misleading that it makes it sound like all IVF patients have blastocyst transfers. I think only about 30% of patients in most clinics are able to have 5 day transfers.

The author also hasn`t made it clear as to when and why and for who that UK clinics opt for 3 embryo transfers. As these cases are rare. And also not all 2 of the embryos transfered are bloastocysts.

It could be a useful research as it can increase pregnancy rates.

Rosesxxx

1 - 2 of 2 Posts