Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Emily is 5 days old and due to problems after my section we switched to bottle feeding.
My question is -  we have an electric steriliser, can anyone tell me their routine for making up bottles??
We spoke to the MW today and she advised sterilising then putting boiled water in and sealing with cap on then they are good to go for feeds,  but the guidelines and advice I've been given are confusing so I would appreciate picking someone's brains? We found that the past two days we have been sterilising some bottles that haven't been used after 3 hours cause the leaflt in the steriliser said to do this which has also meant a wait on bottles??
I thought that if we took them out and sealed them they would remain sterilised and could be used when needed??? ^idiot^
Using the Tommee Tippee bottles with the little powder pots that sit inside which is great for the night feeds as I just tip in and mix.

Sorry if I'm rambling but any help is very much appreciated.
Thank you very muchly!!

Dawn xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
When Isabel was little so a yr ago now the reccomendation and what we did was sterlise the bottles for the day then put the correct amount of water into them and sealed with teat and lid then when time for feed came just added the correct scoops of powder. I'm quite sure a number of other people on here have done the same and had no problems liek that

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I sterilised the bottles then filled with boiled water and left them on the side until they were needed when I added the formula and gave it at room temp. Any that weren't used after 24 hours got chucked away and I started again.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Dawn

I do the same as Clare advised.

I sterilise all my bottles and fill with water enough for 24 hours with boiled water, once cold put into the fridge and i also use the wee powder containers and warm when required.

If after 24 hours i havent used the water i remove from fridge and refill, i dont tend to sterilise again as i dont touch the teat.  Ben has never had any problems with this method.

Hope this helps

Sanjo x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Just to add, if they will take it at room temperature it makes things much easier in the long run. We made the mistake of warming ds's milk and he still has it warmed now whereas dd is happy to have it straight from the fridge.

Chux xx

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Yeah!
Thank you all,  we are doing the same but only 4 at a time and giving at room temp as that's what it was like in the hospital.

Phew! Day 5 worry over, I will be back ;D

Thanks again, don't know how I would cope without this site!

Dawn xx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
~ Chux ~ said:
Just to add, if they will take it at room temperature it makes things much easier in the long run. We made the mistake of warming ds's milk and he still has it warmed now whereas dd is happy to have it straight from the fridge.

Chux xx

That exactly the mistake i made ;D My LO wont tolerate "cold" milk.

So maybe leave the bottles on the side then your LO will not be so fussy and its easier especially when out and about.

Sanjo x

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
DMM35 said:
Phew! Day 5 worry over, I will be back ;D

Dawn xx
I know what you mean ^hugme^ ;D

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
~ Chux ~ said:
sanjo said:
My LO wont tolerate "cold" milk.
I'm glad I'm not the only one, the only thing is my ds is 3 so should be over it by now!!!

;D ;D We will get there, arent our LOs strange wee things??? - what we create eh! ;D Its our own faults ;)

Sanjo x

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
we had it on the side but she now doesn't like milk straight from the fridge I have to take the chill off

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
We also make up our bottles for the day. Boil water and leave in bottles on the side. L has it at room temp. So much easier when out and about as you dont have to worry about findingsomewhere to warm it up.

(espcially when you have come unstuck and have to feed them in the back of the car in co-op carpark  ;D )

Nikki xx

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hello

I thought this an interesting question. I have not asked at the time what the recomendation was and we had james home 1 month before due date when he was 2 months old. Tried for 2 days to breastfeed and dried out. So I sterelised my bottles and left the frozen breastmilk in the fridge to defrost. I used to seal the bottles in the morning and used to fill them up 30 min to an hour before a feed to get it to room temperature. Then when we ran out of breastmilk I kept the same principle and filled up my bottle just before mixing. One more thing: we warm the water before as he has aptamil easydigest and it seemed to be better for his reflux when drank warm rather than room temperature.

Anyway, that was my 2 p's worth

Steph

1 - 15 of 15 Posts