Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New home girls - sorry I don't know how to lock the other one.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and I've been a bit naughty and IM'd all the recent new Mum's to hassel them into saying hi on here. Do you think they'll mind? I'm just plain nosey and want to know how they're all getting on but I guess they must be enjoying motherhood with their bubbs. We all know how much time they take up (apart from when they're asleep...which Jessica still is but I think she' stirring now).

Love Ange Wxxxxx

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
sounds like a brill idea to me Angie!!

Love

Jeanette xxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Yeah, hassle 'em Ange ;D

Ange - We did this same routine with Jack at 6 weeks of age and it worked really well for us and him and by the time he was 6 months he was in bed by 8.00 pm and sleeping 15 hours :eek: We would like him to go to bed earlier, but by the time dh and I get in from work (when I'm not on maternity leave) and now with Ben here too, it's just the earliest we can manage it without rushing him too much. Besides we want to spend some time with him when we've been in work and not seen him all day.

It was natural for us to follow the same routine with Ben, and we pretty much started it from the day I came home from hospital, ie. 1 day after he was born! In the first 6 weeks with Jack we weren't getting him to bed until maybe 1.00 am, and that totally knackered me, and all I did all day then was battle to get him to sleep so I could sleep. I barely went out, and spent most days in tears with exhaustion. I was determined this time wouldn't be the same. So, starting the routine so early on meant that by the time Ben was about 4 weeks he was going down in his moses basket, in his room at 9.45 - 10.00 every single night with no problem whatsoever. Now at 8 weeks, I think we've got it sussed. Whilst I could do with a bit more sleep, I'm not looking to sleep in the day when Ben does, and am not furstrated if he does or doesn't sleep. Basically, I'm tired, but not exhausted, and haven't been all the way through.

The expressing of bottles for night feeds from day 3 also helped with the rest as dh and I have just taken it in turns, and as Ben's only really ever had 1 feed in the middle of the night and (after the first 2 weeks) gone down easily straight away afterwards, that feed has only really kept us up for about half an hour at a time. It's down to about 20 mins now though as Ben can't half get through a 6 oz bottle of milk now. He's a really fast feeder!

He woke again this am at 6.45, and went down at 10.00 last night, then slept from just after 7.00 am until 10.30 am. He nodded off again at 1.30 this afternoon and is still asleep now. Unusal for him, as he normally only has half an hour at a time, but I'm not complaining.

I have a rule - NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY! Ever!

I also have another rule - once a baby is 3 months old, bed time is bed time no matter what. I will attend to every whim through the day, but bed time is bed time. Cuddling and playing are for daytimes only. Once they are in bed and all basic needs have been met, ie. bathed, changed, fed, winded, etc. they need to know the party is over, and I will comfort if they get too upset, but I won't be drawn to do more than is necessary to settle them, and I definitely don't prolong it. The same applies after a night time feed. Once all needs are met, that's it - party's over!

Ben may be a different person to Jack, and whilst I know what worked with him may not work long term for Ben, I suspect it will. By doing what I did with Jack, I ended up with a toddler who didn't climb out of his cot at night, settled easily to bed and slept well throughout the night from a very young age, and still does. I don't have a 3 year old who fights bed times. He just goes happily as he knows there's no alternative. It's something he's used to now. Can you blame me for trying it again ;)

I've put some of the Nystatin cream I got for my nipples on Ben's bum. I assume it'll be okay. It's for treating skin thrush, and it doesn't say in the leaflet that it shouldn't be used on babies or certain parts of the body. It is less red today, so hopefully by tomorrow it'll be okay again. If not, we'll go to the docs before the weekend.

Oh bum! After typing all of that I've forgotten what I read from everyone else on the other thread ::) Will have to go back and read again :p

J xxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Ange - I've just re-read your post. If Jessica is already sleeping from 1.00 am until midday, that's 11 hours, which is absolutely brilliant for her age. If I were you, I'd just try bringing her bedtime forward by half an hour or so every 4 days. I think the average time for a baby to sleep at 12 weeks is 12 hours, so just manipulate those hours so you reap the most benefit to suit yourselves.

If she's doing 11 a night now, then you can get her to bed in the next few weeks by 8.00 pm and still not have to get up until 7.00 am yourselves. Then if she starts sleeping longer as she gets bigger, say by 6 months, you can manipulate it again to either put her to bed earlier or to get her to sleep later.

I'd also put her in her own room so there's no worries about disturbing her when you go to bed, but I know you're not ready for that just yet, and it is recommended that babies sleep in their parents' room for the first 6 months. I could never have managed that with Jack or Ben though. I fidget way too much and kept waking them, and their noises kept waking me. It was a no win situation. The best thing for all of us was separate rooms ;D

Amanda - Hope baby massage this afternoon goes well and isn't rained out again :p What a pain in the ^shake^ about the digital camera. Just hope it takes nice piccies for you now, and then that may make up for it all ;D

Jac - Writing stuff down sounds like a good idea. They get so easily thrown out of a routine don't they, but I'm sure Jaqson will settle back into his quickly. They don't forget that easily what comes next. You'll probably be fine tonight ;) It's like when they get ill, or you go on holiday, etc. it all changes the routine a bit, but once they're better and you're home from hols, they soon get back into things again.

Blimey, you can tell I've got time on my hands today can't you ;D

Love

J xxx

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Wow J, you do seem to have lots of time on your hands, or you are a VERY quick typist!!!!! ;)
Glad to hear that you are doing ok. :-*

Ange - Really good idea to IM all the new mums and get them over here! I've been talking to LisaC and told her to come on over when she had the time - hope to see her and all the others here soon!

Amanda - I too hope you had a good time at baby massage, I am looking for one in my area but having trouble :(

Had the 'weigh-in' today, Katelyn is now 14lb 3oz, she's very nearly on the 91st centile, so quite big for her age. Went shopping afterwards for some new clothes, she's now in 3-6 months - where is my 'little baby' going??? She's all grown up now! :'(

Love Jules xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Jules, I can type around 80 words per min ;D Just couldn't do it before I got the pc as the set top box keyboard was too small to use any more than 1 finger from each hand. Now I can use all of them. Well 9 anyway, as the left thumb is redundant when typing ;D

J xxx

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Hi Guys

Baby massage was great thanks guys......well it was for those who could take part ! Everytime we get into THAT room Millie decides she wants a feed, she did it monday too.

Anyway, cos she had had a feed we couldnt do the massage today & just had to sit & watch everyone else do it instead.....poo ! Hope I can get her to feed better before we go next week, I dont want to miss out.

Ange, i did not realise you already had a routine going of your own, thats brilliant, stick to it for a while & I would used J's tips, they are great. My friend does exactly the same as J and her kids are always in bed now for 7.30 three years down the line. It does work, well done J !!

Jac...wow, that must have been some poo ! Hope the smell goes in time for you American Brekkie party saturday night or at least just blame Chase !! hee hee

Millie is on my lap watching this, she found her feet earlier today and spent about 10 mins pointing her feet & lifting her legs in amazement, it was very cute. We read Mr Men books this morning, that went well, bright colours & bold shapes so I will probably do some story time every day now, not just with Mr Men books though.

Off out friday night to a retirement do that starts at 5.30pm early one ! Then parents over sat night for a meal for Mums birthday on the 18th and thats pretty much me for now. Hope everyone's ok etc etc

Love to all Amanda x x x

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Deborah.....

Thats sounds yum, glad the solids are working for you & Max. Not looking forward to those poo's though ! :)

Amanda x

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi everyone

We had a good night last night and a this has been followed by a great day so I have at last had time to switch the computer on!!

Jasmine is a windy baby unfortunately but we are working through it. The worst night so far has been screaming (and I mean screaming) from 7 pm until 6 am on tuesday night. Last night however we appear to have a different child! Slept from her 9.00 pm feed until 3.30 am and then feeds at 5.30 am and 7.30 am with no problem going back to sleep. So fingers crossed for tonight.

Unfortunatley our neighbours (we live in a semi) appear to have taken exception to the crying and have not even congratulated us yet. He actually turned his back on DH yesterday when he saw him and stormed into the house. They had 3 children and have 2 grandchildren one of which is only 1 so you think they would be a bit more sympathetic - still not alot we can do about it. Anyone would think we were making Jasmine cry on purpose!

So here's to a relatively good night for us all and I hope I will be able to post more regularly once we have got our routines working.

Lynn and Jasmine

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
im still checking the boards....been busy to.
jack is teething so hes a little grouchie at the mo....i took him to the dr's today as hes still coughing like a mad man !! :(
but the dr wouldnt give me nothing she said it will pass in time.............no way i had 3wks of sleep now im up again :'( :'(.....and the worst bit im back to work next wk..

so hows the gang??

gave jack marmite today..ohhh the coo's he gave was something else !

so are all you mums going to the meet up??

we are hopping to go if dh can get that weekend off...would be lovely to meet you all.

xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Jac - Wow that sounds like one big bum explosion ;D We have those in our house too ::) Amazing how something so small can make so much mess eh! I remember Jack doing the biggest poo I ever saw in Asda's trolley when he was about 8 months old. Well, it stank to high heaven and dripped down his legs (TMI! Eeeeewwww!). Boy, did I never, ever leave home again without a change of clothes for him ;D I had to just drop everything, get to the changing rooms, clean him as best I could and strip him from the waist down and leave the shops with him half naked! God knows what everyone must've thought :-[ At least it was summer ;D

Your older boys are making fantastic babysitters aren't they. Fab! ;D I'm sure they absolutely adore spending time with their little bro too ;D

Amanda - Awww Amanda, you and these classes are not having much luck are you ^Cuddle^ Better luck for next week.

Deborah - Glad to hear Max is enjoying his first bits of grub ;D

Lynn - Hello, nice to hear from you ;D

^shake^ to your neighbours I say! As if you can stop Jasmine crying. She's a baby. It's what she does! Surely they must realise that. Oh, sorry, I forgot - you're not supposed to have children are you in case they make a bit of noise! ^shake^ ^shake^ ^shake^

Sorry to hear Jasmine has been a bit more screamy than necessary though. It's hard when they get like that, especially if it goes on for hours at a time and you just can't do anything for them. Bad enough in the daytime, but nightmare at night :-\ Hope she's a bit more settled now for you though and has a good night tonight like last night.

Love

J xxxx

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hiya,

Jac - the poo thing makes it sound like he was melting away. I won't ask what brand of nappies you were using. It obviously didn't do it's job or were you tempting fate like I do with Jessica's 'no nappy time'. She usually manages at least a pee but she enjoys lolling around with no nappy on so much, I can't deny her.

Amanda - I could have gone to baby massage today but I forgot about it to be honest. Let me know how you go on next time. I just worry that Jessica will scream the place down and disrupt the group. Let me know what sort of ages the bubbs are too. Hope it goes well for you next week. I showed Jay the piccies of Millie in the gallery and he agrees she is just sooooo cute and girly looking.

Lynn - tee hee - I hope it was my IM that got you to say hi. You've obviously been busy. Jessica is 9 weeks old now. Even though it was only a short time ago, it still brings back memories of those first few nights by reading your post. I hope Jasmine gets into the habit for feeding soon. Jessica was a 11pm and then a 4am girl at first. The 4am one used to last about an hour. Isn't it weird how you just sort of 'bing' awake when baby wants feeding in the night and then have no problem getting off again? Oh, and stuff your neighbours - you just enjoy Jasmine. ;D

Becca - so Jack's going to be a Marmite lover then? Like they say, you either love it or hate it and I can imagine a baby being pretty fussy about Marmite. I love it.

Best go - Jay is asking me if I'm going to spend anytime with him tonight. I think he's peed because Jessica has been crying every time he has her and shutting up straight away if I take her back!!

Love Ange Wxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Dear Ange

Jessica is beautifull too !! :) There was a child at massage who was crying a lot but as the teacher says....the babys come first so just do what you have to do, in the end the mother took the baby outside for a walk about & it was fine. Try & go it will do wonders apparently for the babys ??!

I lurve marmite too & bovril...very yum & savoury.

Off to lool at Max in the gallery now x x x

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Angie - well done for IM'ing the new mums! though I'm having difficulty keeping up with everything going on with everyone's bubbs as it is!!

Jac - Think it's been a 'PooTastic' day!!!! Iestyn, up until the weekend has had poo in every nappy since I've brought him home from Hospital! As of this weekend, his 'motions' have dramatically changed and he's gone from going so regularly to being lucky if he's gone once a day!

Anyway - yesterday he didn't go at all and I was beginning to panick that he was constipated - But I need not have feared - for this morning, Dion and I stayed in bed and had lots of cuddles and playtime with Iestyn when he'd woken up - when all of a sudden Dion said, oh I think he's wet, his nappy must be leaking!

Well, I think we had the explosion of all explosions! I've never ever seen so much poo come from something so little - it seeped (sorry about to go into TMI!!! but got to share it!) from the legs, out the top of the front of his nappy and out of the top of the back - basically every place possible and what was once a lovely pure white vest is now a lovely mustard colour!

I actually ended up undressing him in the bath! - So no sooner had I pulled his clothes off and got poo every where on him, I was able to wash him down immediately!

So following that - and not really knowing what to expect on the poo front now - I went to my mums today - fully armed with lots of nappies, lots of wet wipes and several changes of clothes! Needless to say, he's only had wet nappies since - so I'm dreading tomorrow morning if this is going to be his new routine!

I had a lovely day at my mums, Iestyn was sooo good, so happy and smiled so much and although he's been finding his voice for a little while now - he well and truely found it today and really did tell my mum and I a few stories - he was so cute with all the noises he was coming out with.

We then took Iestyn into the nursing home where my mum works and all the old ladies absolutely fell in love with him and all wanted to kiss him and everyone kept commenting on his hair and his beautiful bright blue eyes! He really did make one of the old ladies days - she's bed ridden and really poorly and what a tonic he was for her.

Jules - wow - Katelyn is doing really well with her weight. Iestyn started off on the 91st centile and is now following the 25th - needless to say it's worried me, but the HV's keep telling me he's doing well and that he was only on the 91st centile when born as I must have had a very efficient placenta, whereas now, he's dictating what he wants in the way of food!

Amanda, we've got a lady coming to our little tiddlers group next week to demonstrate baby massage - so I'm looking forward to that.

J - I love your 'rules' I hope to implement them sooner rather than later too as they are things I really believe in! But we'll see - coz just look what happened with regards to my hatred of dummies!

Lynn - not sure how unsettled Jasmine is, but I know the Iestyn used to be really Colicky in the evenings and nothing we could do would settle him - he really struggled with his wind. Anyway, someone recommended a Chiropractor to me a couple of weeks before Christmas. So I took him for a free consultation and a few sessions since then and can honestly say he's been a different baby - he brings his wind up so easily now, sometimes I don't even need to wind him (most of the time actually) and we no longer have the screaming abdabs for hours in the evening.

I know of several people that have gone down this line and have had excellent results - I figured it couldn't do any harm so would be worth a try and am so glad now that I did. He's now having appts. fortnightly - but I think his next appt. may be his last as the Chiropractor said on Monday that he's made so much progress and only has one last area to work on - which she worked on on Monday and already I've seen the benefits.

Hope everyone else is fine - sorry about the PooTastic info!

Love,

Sue xxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Oh, hysterical ;D Why is it that all mums always end up discussing poo at some point and in lots of detail too. We all do it, on and off this site ;D Whilst the little bubbs are just happily getting on with it, not worrying about quantity or frequency ;D

Sue - I checked Ben's place on the centiles yesterday after he got weighed too (hadn't looked before) and he too was on the 91st when born (9 lb 9 oz) and has now dropped to just above the 25th at 11 lb. I was a bit concerned too, and the HV is going to weigh him again when he goes for his jabs on Tuesday. But to look at him, he's hardly malnourished, and I was calling him a right bomper before she weighed him. If he'd continued on the 91st centile he'd be massive by now!

I also read the other day that babies that are bf initially put on lots of weight compared to formula fed babies and then lean out at around 6 months, whereas formula fed babies continue to be chubbier until they become more mobile.

Don't know how true that is, but they do say that bf helps babies control their weight better.

I was a little worried about the drop of 2 centiles, but I think mother nature is sorting him out quite happily and have just put those worries to one side now. He feeds well, is content between feeds, has lots of wet nappies, is gaining weight steadily, etc. and I reckon 11 lbs at 8 weeks is not bad at all.

Right, gotta go and do my expressing now or it'll be midnight again before I get to bed ::)

J xxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hey Amanda - just had a look to see who was still on line and see you've gone all golden and been promoted. Well done you ;D About time too I reckon, you're great at getting around all the boards and offering support and will do a fab job.

Congratulations ^banana^ ^banana^ ^banana^

Love

J xxx

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
J - I've just read your post on breast feeding support. So you are a regular supermarket visitor too.

I've got to go to Tesco's (again) today. I've managed not to go since Monday so I think I've done quite well. I spend so much money every time I go (£150 in two trips last week). My plan is to only take £20 with me so I can't end up buying Jessica cute clothes or loads of stuff we don't really need, and leave all my cards at home. I think what will proberbly happen is that I'll take £20 and maybe just one card....just in case!!

Watch this space!! ::)

Love Ange Wxxxx

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey girls

Just to agree with "super J" on the sleeping front. Since Felix was born we purposely made night and day different. We are both rubbish without sleep so this is our real focus!

Loads of play and noise in the day, naps in the light. Night is always dark (soft light for feeding) change only if necessary, gentle cuddle with ssshhh sounds to settle but no talking. Bedtime is bedtime. Felix too has always been happy to go to bed, sleeps well, rarely wakes. Freddy seems to follow the same pattern too and is sleeping 8 hrs plus 3 hrs at 11weeks at night and settles usually well.

Maybe J and I just have lucky babies, but it works for us.

Jane x

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Hey Ange....are you turning into a Tesco Junkie ??! Glad to see last night went well with Jessica, assuming that as you have not mentioned anything to the contary !!? x x x

J, Thanks for the congrats x x x

Jane, Night is always dark for Millie in our house too, hope to keep it that way so that when she older she not one of those kids scared of the dark ??

Off to shower now, catch up later, Amanda x x x

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.