Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My name is Linzi and I'm new on here.

I have been trying to ttc for over 3yrs and we have just found out ( from a medium) that we can have free NHS IVF treatment. Never had this done before and was hoping you girls could explain a bit and help me through it all.

I have a tube test done on the 5th June. I have had all other tests just this one left to have done.

Hope that you are all well and you are going to get your BFP's very soon

Good Luck to All and baby dust coming your way

Linzi xxxxx

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Hello Linzi, welcome to Fertility Friends. :)

It is true that your are technically entitled to one free cycle of IVF on the NHS, however whether you actually qualify depends very much on what additional criteria your PCT place on their patients. Generally there are often restrcitions based on age, weight, presence of other children either as a couple or through one or other partner. The best way to find out what your actual chances of qualifying are to either ask your GP or write to your PCT - or you could ask on the location boards for others in your are to share their experiences. This would also give you a more realistic idea of what treatment options will be available, where you are likely to be sent for tretament and what they are like at that clinic - and also what waiting times for treatment are like in your area as they can vary from a few months to a few years, depending on funding and demand!

The Lancashire boards are here: http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=235.0

Until your tubes are checked to see if there are any blockages it is impossible to say for certain if you will be offered IVF straight off. If all your other tests have revealed no issues and your tubes come back as clear then you might be offered IUI or something else they feel is more appropriate. POssibly even clomid to boost your natural chances for a while? In cases of unexplained infertility IVF is not normally a first point of call unless your age is significantly against you and then not always...it's all rather a grey area and different consultants will have differing opinions I am afraid!) IVF is offered first if both tubes are blocked or there are significant male factor issues or, in some cases, if another specific or multiple issues mean IUI or some of the other less invasive treatments have a very low chance of success. As I say, without knowing the results of your tubal check it's hard to say but, you should be told immediately if there are any obvious blockages.

Here is a thread that discusses what to expect from a HSG:

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=131840.0

And here are some more links that you might want to check out while on FF:

What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) ~ CLICK HERE

FERTILITY INFO GUIDES ~ CLICK HERE

Girl & Boy talk - Community & Fun Board ~ CLICK HERE

You can also chat live in our excellent chat room. We have a newbie night in the chat room every week (Wednesday at 8pm), where you can meet other new members and get technical support with navigating the site and using all the functions available here. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

Wishing you lots of luck. PLease do let us know how your test goes on the 5th June. ^reiki^

C~x

·
Premium Member
13,830 Posts
Hi Linzi and welcome to the site :)

You have come to a fantastic place full of advice and support and you have been left some great links to try out.

I just wanted to wish you luck with your test in june and loads of luck for the future.

Kate xx

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Linzi

I just can't get rid of you can I eh! I'm on here too (as well as ********). Its surprising I've got time for anything else really! teehee

I've joined the Bristol Bonkers girls as its nice to meet people in my area going through the same thing.

Spk to you soon on the other ones.

Take care
Bea xxx

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi Linzi  ^wave^ welcome to FF

Good luck with your tests on 5th June and good luck with your treatment!

^fairydust^

Laura
xxx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well hiya girls we have been ttc for over 3 years now and still no sign of little baby. Some months it really gets me down and i wonder why i do this to myself. WE have been under the hospital for a couple of months now and all tests have come back great. They want to do one more test that is the HyCoSy.

Its were they check your tubes, womb and ovaries. Its suppose to be very painfull. I have looked it up on google and i nearly cancelled i was that frightened...lol

In a lot off cases once the test has been done a lot of girls get there BFP as it fushes anything out of the tubes....fingers crossed.

Head is in bits and was just wondering if any girls have had this procedure done before and did it help.

Thanks girls Linzi xxxxx

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Hi Linzi

Welcome to FF  :)  You've come to a great place for support and information, all the members on here are fab.. and i hope they can put your mind at ease about the HyCoSy done!  I have mine on Monday, so not long to go now and i asked yesterday if anyone had, had any discomfort after a HyCoSy and the general consensus was you shouldn't be any noticable discomfort maybe some mild period type pains!  I'll be going via the bus there and back and its going to take quite some time (whilst we dont live that far away...its a bit of a round trip!) I'll also be going alone.  Have a look about and i am sure you'll be able to find out more info on here!

Good luck  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Bekie

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Hello Liniz

Welcome to FF  :)

Please please don't be worried about the hycosy. I had it done and it isn't horribly painful at all. And believe me, I'm a total wimp and had to have the nurse hold my hand throughout it  ^idiot^. The instrument  :eek: they used felt just the same as when I have a smear. There was some cramping throughout but nothing to be frightened about. Afterwards I drove myself to work. I bled some old type blood - a small amount - for a few days but not everybody does.

Good luck - you'll be fine  :) :)

Emma xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts