Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, New to site (still finding my way around and trying to work out the abbreviations  :eek:), and was wondering how ppl are going on metformin? I was on clomid, 3 cycles with no follicles, from 50mg up to 150 mg. Now they have prescribed me 850mg metformin twice a day on day 2 - 6 of my bleed. does it work?? does it make you loose weight?? does it make you feel ill for long??  :- what should i expect??
anything will be a help!
Cheers a bunch ;D

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Claire
Welcome to the PCOS section of FF.
I've not been on Metformin, myself but am considering it at the moment, there has been quite a few osts lately about metofmin on here so maybe worth just have a quick scout round to see if anyone has the answers you are looking for.
Look forward to getting to know you better.
Chick

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi claire

WELCOME TO FF

i have been on metformin for quite a while now and have found it helps to regulate my cycles and helps to control my weight. I havent heard of anyone taking it for just certain days of the cycle , i take it continuously .
As chick says there are other posts about it so have a scout around

love
suzie aka olive x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:) Thanx, ill go now and have a lookie

G

·
Hi Claire

welcome to ff and you are in the best place.

I have been on metformin now since the 10th september with surprising results!!!! ;D ;D

I have lost quiet a bit of weight in fact i have lost a whole 2 stone since April.  The side effect are different for all people, personally I had a bad tummy and wind for about 4 weeks and then it went away. ::)

I take 500mg 3x a day and I have not idea why they are only telling you to take it for 5 days.

I wish u all the best with your TX

Love Charlotte  :-*

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Claire,

I took metformin for 4 years and thought it was wonderful! - really helped with my weight. There can be side effects for the first couple of weeks but they soon pass and can be eased by taking the tablets with a meal. As others have said, I can't understand why you've only been given them for a few days at a time as I was told I'd need to take them for a month or so before noticing a difference. Did they explain the reasoning behind it??

Chux

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there,
No, they didnt say anything about taking it daily. wasn't till i came on here and realised everyone seems to be taking it daily that i thought it strange that im only to take it day 2 - 6 of my bleed. i dont release any follicles, i wonder if that has anything to do with it  ??? i have to take northisterone to make me bleed then take the metformin after (just like clomid) ill try it like they said for this cycle then when i go for the follicle tracking scan - and if there is nowt there - ask about the daily doses!
thanx for everyones advice  ;D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi there, I'm new this weekend as well,

if my cycle this time fails on clomid, I'll be starting on Metformin.  I'm going to be taking it daily as well...I've got a second scan for this cycle of clomid as they weren't big enough on Friday (day11)...then if this fails(any additional tips for it working..... ;)!?)then I'll start metformin with my next period......

Good luck to you all, does anyone know if this metformin actually reduces PCOS??

Toofa x

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi toofa

welcome to ff!
Metformin doesnt necessarily reduce pcos but can help with the symptoms such as insulin resistance and weight.
Not sure if you have checked out the clomid board but they might be able to help you with your questions.
Good luck with the follies hope they grow, let us know how you get on

love
suzie aka olive xx

·
Registered
56 Posts
just to let you know, the follies grew and have been released, just waiting for DH to come home to have ^BMS^ hehehe!!!!!

Toofa x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts