Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
It has taken me about a year to post my first message, so finally here goes!  My husband and I are both 30 and have  been trying to conceive since June 2009.  I quickly realised something wasn't right when my periods were about 60 days apart after coming off the pill.  In Dec 2009 I was diagnosed with PCOS.  9 rounds of clomid (definetly ovulated) and various sperm tests later and we were no further forward.  We were offered injections to make me ovulate on the NHS but I felt it would waste more valuable time and wouldn't add any value given that I was already ovulating.  We went straight to private IVF at the GCRM in Glasgow.  I responded well to drugs and they collected 11 apparently healthy eggs last Tuesday.  DH produced a perfectly normal sample.  All was looking good.  We were called the next morning to say nothing had fertilised. I was devastated to say the least.  They dont really know why it happened and have advised ICSI next.  I feel as though we have wasted vast amounts of time and money and are no further forward...  I want to get on to ICSI asap to establish whether that will overcome the problem of failed fertilisation or whether we need to face up to getting either an egg or sperm donor....  Anyone out there had a similar experience?  Particularly interested in any other exepriences of IVF in Scotland?  Luck to everyone!  C x

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts
Hello Claire, welcome to FF :)

Huge hugs to you both ^hugme^ ^hugme^
Please have a good look around the site and feel free to post in any area, and make yourself at home. There are many who are on their TTC journey, and others who have been fortunate to have little ones with assistance. You will soon discover that our members are very encouraging of one another and offering advice or just simple hugs. There's a vast amount of information here for everyone, so start reading, posting and getting to know others. You will make some great friends too, lots of members often have meet ups locally too, for chats, coffee, shopping or even nights out! You can share conversations with one another freely, simply because we all understand each other. It's hard when family and friends don't fully comprehend what this journey entails and the emotions that go with it. That's where we come in!

Here are some links which you should find really useful at the moment……

What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) ~ CLICK HERE

Complimentary, Holistic and Spiritual Approaches ~ CLICK HERE

PCOS ~ CLICK HERE

IVF General ~ CLICK HERE

ICSI ~ CLICK HERE

Donor sperm/eggs ~ CLICK HERE

Questions for your consultation ~ (use the ones that apply) CLICK HERE

Sadly this has happened to quite a few of our members :( If you use the search at the top of the page, you'll see lots of topics to read on this. ^hugme^

You can also chat live in our chat room. We have a newbie day in the chat room every Wednesday where you can meet one of our mods for support, meet other new members and get technical support with navigating the site and using all the functions available here. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

Wishing you lots of luck ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ and ^fairydust^
Keep in touch
Ceri xx

PS I have also sent you a pm (private message)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Claireyttc

so sorry to hear about your failed cycle.  We too are at GCRM and are on our 2nd IVF cycle.  Our first cycle failed as our embryos didn't implant...again no one seems to know why but it's quite a common reason for failure.  It's so hard not having answers and not knowing what to change to try and make the next cycle a success. 

Have they given you a date to start you next cycle?

I will hope that ICSI is the answer for you, cause getting 11 eggs is fab (we only had 5) and hopefully this would give you a good chance of success.  Will keep my fingers crossed for you.  ^hugme^

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi BabySteps,

Good to hear from you and sorry to hear about your first cylcle.  Its great you're able to start your second cylcle so soon.  Hope the first stages are going well.  I know what you mean about not having answers.  Its really hard to resist spending hours doing research on the internet.  I must have google, failed fertilisation a hundred times in the last week or so!  I'm particularly concerned that if ICSI still doesn't fertilise eggs the next time, then from what I can gather there isnt much they can do to find out if it is the egg or sperm causing the problem (as both appear fine to the embryologist). 

I suppose we should all count ourselves luckily that we are facing these difficulties now rather than 30 years ago when there was probably no chance of any help.

Stay in touch through your second cycle and I really hope it all goes well for you this time.

Love, C x

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dear Claireyttc
In November I was in exactly the same situation as you.  Zero fertilisation is such a shock.  I don't know about you but I just did not know that it could happen.  I had decided not to read too much about IVF before we started as I did not to worry myself.  I had prepared for the idea of a BFN after EC, ET etc, but when the embryologist called the day after EC to say that nothing had happened we were devastated.  We spent a while asking outselves what we had done wrong.  Then after some careful research and a good read of lots of posts on FF, we realised that it was not just us.  We also had a really helpful chat with our clinic consultant and senior nurse.  Basically they said that the 1st go at IVF is like a trial run - some ladies do get lucky the 1st time, but for the rest of us the failed cycle gives the clinic lost of information about what to do differently next time e.g. tweak drugs etc.  In our case we were told that the reason the we got zero fertilisation was a sperm binding problem.  This is apparently not that unusual.  Our consultant said that this was probably the reason that we had failed to conceive naturally.  He said that ICSI was designed for exactly this kind of problem. He was confident that this would solve the problem of fertilisation for us.  I have since chatted with a few ladies how had have zero fertilisation with IVF and have gone on get fertilisation and BFPs with ICSI.  So I am cautiously optimistic.....
All the best with your next cycle.
Brambleash xx

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Brambleash,

Great to hear from someone who has had a similar experience to us, so thanks heaps for messaging me.  We have an appt with our consultant on 8 Feb, so looking forward to getting to ask all my questions.  Essentially we had the same response about sperm binding, though it all seems so strange as they said the sperm looked healthy and active the next day.  Who knew nature was so complex! 

Glad to see you have been able to start your next cycle.  I would be really keen to stay in touch to see how you get on.  I will have everything crossed for you and really hope that ICSI can do the trick for both of us.  Lots and lots of luck.  Claire x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts