Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just posted this on introductions page as hadn't found the ICSI page. Am not very technical with this yet!  ;D I have never posted on a chat room before and I spent half an hour writing my intro and query out about 3 weeks ago and managed to lose it. It put me off a bit but I am now 3 weeks from starting IVF /ICSI and I would be very very grateful if anyone could give me an idea of what to expect on our first appt.  ^idiot^ Our background is: I have PCOS and anovulation and my husband v low sperm count. I have been taking Metformin for 18 months which doesn't seem to have helped me ovulate (but relieved some of the other PCOS symptoms). We are self funded and are due to "start" on the 21st Sept. But start what?  Will we come away with a bag full of syringes immediately? Someone told me that they shut my system down before anything else starts. How? How long does it take? I cant seem to find anywhere any proper details, appointment by appointment of what to expect, just general overviews. I realise that each case is different, but it's soooo vague. Can we go away when we're on a cycle? or do we need to stay in one place? How long does each cycle take? What day of ones menstrual cycle is day one of the IVF/ICSI cycle? How often will I be likely to have to go in for outpatients appointments in each cycle?  I feel a bit of a doofer not knowing anything, but I think I've been in denial about it all since we were referred (Feb) as I didn't want to become obsessed in advanced. AND NOW I'M PANICKING (cos I'm a control freak and I'm not in control!    Grateful for any replies or links to places that might have some answers.  :-[

·
Registered
93 Posts
hi there, don't worry :-[ the best thing to do is take each stage as it come for a good overview have a look at this site http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/ivfdirect/# as you've guessesd I'm with guys every clinic is different however
generally your g.p would have given upto date hormone levels so your first meetingwill be to discuss your options with the doctor and what will happen next
your'll be asked to ring up on day 1 of your next cycle so your medication can be sorted out
bout you don't actually start them till day 21 so officially everything starts day 21
hope this is helpful but the website is brilliant it's one of the reasons i chose guy's ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, I am pretty new to all this too but I am finding this web site really helpful, there is some really good advice out there  :)

I have found a book by Zita West very useful and have felt very positive during this cycle. I am due egg collection on Monday so feeling a bit anxious at the moment  ^reiki^ .

Everybody has been so helpful so stay tuned in!!

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Katy B and Katrina for replying so promptly. The Guys site is brilliant and pretty much addressed all the questions I had, (my God there's a lot that can go wrong isn't there?). My husband was gutted when I worked out by counting cycle dates that the treatment wont start till mid October and we had a bit of a squabble. We're both just pretty keen to get on with it now. It was our decision to wait 6 months when we were told in Feb we needed ICSI - DH was v upset about his low count and needed time to assimilate the facts, and my job took me all over the country and the world and, when in the UK I was rarely home before 10/11pm. It seemed that ICSI would be impossible whilst I continued, so much as I loved it I felt it best to leave. Also, we'd only been married 6 months so felt we wanted to have some time together after my job finished to get to know each other a bit better!  Too late to regret the long delay now but in hindsight......................

Anyway, thanks for your instant help and good wishes. Bring it on....... ^reiki^ 

Good luck on Monday KatyB. I'll be thinking of you.  ^reiki^

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Izzy,  :)

You will find that October will soon be here, I found it helpful to read up on things as that answered alot of our questions too. I had good results at my scan today and pleased to see my follicles have been growing nicely, I did give them a bit of help as I read that using a hot water bottle, on lower absomen, helps them!! I will try anything.
^reiki^  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Take care

Katy B

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi booby,

Im so pleased you started this cos Im about to undertake ICSI for the first time as well and to be honest its an absolute TONNE of info to take in and can be mind blowing to say the least!!
We have our initial consultation on the 19th September so I will be following your process with interest!
Please keep posting and telling us all about it..........Im one step behind you so it will be great to be able to ask you things as you proceed!!

Bye for now and good luck

Yonny xx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi girls

I'm also on my first cycle of ICSI, due to start injections next week. It's very scarey & hard to keep up with all the dates, drugs & procedures that you will need to go through. I would make a list of all your questions & concerns to make sure you get all the info out the doctor when you see him next.

Let me know how your getting on.

Button x

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hi all
just saw this and thought I would add my twopennies worth!
I have been under 3 hospitals and my advice would definitely be - ask as many questions as u can, don't let them put u off asking, do not feel like u r asking stupid ques or that they know best so leave it to them (docs). Of course, they do know best, but its really important to you and your partner to get as involved as u can/ want so u can have some element of control in something that is almost completely out of your hands. Nothing is too silly to ask and u will feel so much better for having asked. Hopefully you will all get positive results first time round  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ but if not, then by asking about the process as u go along - u will be more aware the next time of what to expect.
I know u mentioned Zita West's book - and am not sure if you have looked into diet etc - but anything u can both do to help yourselves, like diet, low coffee and tea intake, cut smoking, drink lots of water, cut down on bread, take vitamin supplements - all those things help the quality of sperm and eggs.

Wishing you all the very best of luck with your treatments and  ^BFP^ all the way round
x

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thnaks Mands and Button!!
Wiill certainly keep you posted!!
xxxxxxxxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.