Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all   :) :) I've never been on a forum before, but have visited this site and can see how much support you all give each other.  This is my 4th IVF attempt.  I'm trying the short protocol again and have been stimming since Mon 14th April, with 4 follies growing and am being scanned again tomorrow with the chance of e/c on Friday.  It seems to be taking so long this time for them to grow.  I have been taking DHEA for the past 4 months as my FSH in July 07 was 23 and I was told I would not be able to have another cycle.  Low and behold my FSH has now dropped to 12 at last b/t, so here we are again.  Has anyone else got any experience of DHEA??   ??? ???

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Hello Swoo, welcome to Fertility Friends. :)

I think there are a number of ladies on FF who are takign DHEA for poor repsonse. It's a tought one becaus eit is technically a drug and, frankly, you ought to take it with your clinic's approval or at least their knowledge as it can affect treatment. I am not sure if it has any affect on FSH but it's great to see yours has dropped and just goes to show how a few months can make such a difference.
Your slow growing follicles are not uncommon. So long as they are growing steadily and not stalling that's ok. I have known ladies on FF to take up to 20 days of stimming to be ready for EC and as little as 7 so if you are goign to be ready by Friday that's about right in the middle.

While undergoing treatment, you might find it useful to join other ladies having treatment at the same time. The Cycle Buddies threads are just for that. You will fnd a thread, usually with a funny/inspiring name for this year's buddies. Just pop along to the appropriate month (teh April May MAYbe Babies woudl be best for you) and say "Hi" when you are ready to start treatment.

Cycle buddies ~ CLICK HERE

Here's a few more links you might find helplful:

What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) ~ CLICK HERE

IVF General ~ CLICK HERE

What can improve egg quality and quantity ~ CLICK HERE

And don't forget to have a bit of fun while you are on FF and check out the general chit chat / jokes / hobbies area:

Girl & Boy talk - Community & Fun Board ~ CLICK HERE

You can also chat live in our excellent chat room. We have a newbie night in the chat room every week (Wednesday at 8pm), where you can meet other new members and get technical support with navigating the site and using all the functions available here. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

You can also "meet" and chat with people in your local area through the Location boards. This is especially useful to find people who may be using the same clinic and or in the same PCT area.

Wishing you lots of luck!

C~x

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi, i have just finished my 4th ivf cycle and im pretty much the same as you. On this cycle my FSH was 17.8 and after 12 days of stimming i only had 1 follicle and loads of smalll ones that hadnt moved. They wanted to stop the treatment but all of cycles have been the same so i basically begged them not to write us off, also i had been on the top whack of menopur and that alone had cost over 2k so i couldn't just walk away from that. In the end i stimmed for 30 days and managed 7 eggs which is lot for me.
I have always done a long protocol ie sniffing but have heard that a short one can help ladies like us. How does it work? I also have taken DHEA but didn't get any benefits other than being extremely ratty(no change there!) but will def get some more if we are able to have another go. What dosage was you on? I took 75mgs.
Good luck with everything
Mandy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mandy - thanks for your response.  I am sorry your cycle was unsuccessful  ^hugme^.  My best wishes are with you.  I am taking 75mg of DHEA daily and have been since December with no real side effects - they say 4 months is the prime time for it to get into your system, but you can take it for longer.  I don't know if it has made any difference to my FSH, as it is usually all over the place anyway, but at least it has given us another chance of a cycle as we were told last year when my FSH was 23 that this was not possible and we were looking at egg donation. 

The short protocol is where you down reg at the same time as stimming.  So it takes half the time.  I started my down reg on 13/04 and started stimming alongside on 14/04.  Down reg then stops after 3 days and I have been taking a further injection of Orgalutron to stop me ovulating.  I must say I prefer the short protocol having done both.  On my last SP cycle  I was also on the highest dose of menopur but this time I started on 300 and increased to 375.  I think this is why my follies are slow to grow this time, but the clinic said it would not make much difference.  We are having assisted hatching too for the first time, as previously m/c.  Back to the clinic again Friday for another scan with hopefully egg collection on Monday and E/T on Thursday  ^pray^. Will continue stimming until Friday at least, when hopefully my follies will have grown enough.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. 

Take Care
Stacy

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hiya,

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to ff.  We got our BFP on our 4th attempt so fingers crossed for you!

Tracy xxx

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Tracy - thanks for your support - hopefully 4th time lucky too for us - so pleased for you that you got there.

Stacy x

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
Welcome New Members!

Don't miss Newbie Chat School tonight at 8pm in the lounge. Just follow the instructions above the enter chat!

Hope to see you all there. :)

Caz & Dizzi

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi Swoo,

Welcome to Fertiltyi Friends, this site is fantastic for support, information and friendship  ^hugme^

Good luck with your tx  ^reiki^  ^reiki^

Nikki xx

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Nikki  :) thanks for your support ~ your baby Lewis Lee is gorgeous  ^hugme^

Stacy x

·
Registered
526 Posts
Loads of luck to you for your next scan and hope that this will be your last go. I will def ask at my follow up appt about the short protocol and will order more Dhea.
Let me know how you get on with EC and ET- does your clinic have any accupunturist working there. Ive read so much about the results when done just before and after Et its worth a go.
mandy x

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Mandy

Thanks for your support - I have been seeing a private acupuncturist since b4 our last attempt and I think it made a difference in me getting a BFP last time.  I've been seeing her every week now for about the past 6 and will be having treatment sometime on the day of ET hopefully.  The only problem is our new clinic is quite far away and we will have to do a lot of travelling on the day to fit it all in.  Hopefully it will be worth it.

It's def worth asking your Consultant about the short protocol, as you don't DR for long they can keep you stimming for longer in order to grow more follies, that's what they have done to me this time.

If you are interested in knowing more about DHEA I have done quite a bit of research lately and can let you have some useful website addresses.  Also if you were getting side effects on 75mg they do say you can reduce it to 50mg.  I got mine from Biovia.

Stacy x

·
Premium Member
13,830 Posts
Hi swoo and welcome to the site :)

You have come to a fantastic site full of advice and support.

Sorry to hear of your troubles with trying for a baby and i wish you loads of luck with your IVF and that it brings a positive result.

Kate xx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts