Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i am just about to start my first round of ivf/icsi, im 30 my husband is 36 and have been trying for 4 years +, we now know its a male factor problem and we know ivf/icsi is our only hope,
it took us over 2 years to get our GP to refer us elsewhere then we got shoved from pillar to post for another year, finally we saw a lovely doctor who after just 3 app got to the bottom of our problem (theres no way it can be fixed,) and here we are...
the last 3 months have flown in a whirlwind and things are a lot more real now as i stare at the injections ready to start on Saturday, we have only told a handful of family and friends and they have been very supportive, but it is so draining i feel like no one really understands, i am even thinking about everything i do in case it stops the meds working or affects anything,

the ivf i have been put on is day 21 long protocol, and any advice will be greatfully received,

Donna xx聽

Registered
Hi Donna聽 :) Welcome to FF, I am new too聽 ^hugme^

Well done on finally reaching the start of your treatment, and I so hope it all works out for you. This is the part I don't know about, our next stage is...I don't know, we have only just been referred for treatment and waiting on a letter to tell us what is next. I will be watching for your posts as they will help me with what to expect next.

Good luck for Saturday, let us know how you get on聽 :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi again,
what happened with us was at our last app with the male ferlility doctor told us there was nothing else he could do and he wrote to our gp and told him to reffer us to the ivf clinic, once that was in our app came through for less than 2 weeks later, because all our teats were up 2 date the ivf doctor filled out all the paper work for us (we are nhs)聽 and told us that the next app we recive will be the start of our ivf ( how scary) the nhs funding came through within 3 weeks, and here we are, its only taken 3 months, i think most of it depends on the waiting lists for your chosen ivf clinic,
1 thing that mite help move things along is to get all the tests and copy of results to take with you, i end up carringhthis massive folder to every app now,
good luck,
love Donna, xx

Registered
Thanks for that, bit of hope there!聽 :)

It sounds a bit similar to where we are at now, we have had the referral letter sent to Salisbury.. so maybe it won't be as long a wait as I thought it might be!? So far the process has been really speedy, all my surgery last year and being referred already, also on NHS. Couldn't fault it at the moment, I know other people have had a hell of a time so I feel lucky. I will ask GP for copy of everything next time I see her, that sounds like a very good idea. I love paperwork, it helps me to feel in control!

Keep smiling xx

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no worries, glad to help and ease your mind a little, i did think it would of been a lot harder and take a lot longer to get the funding, i was shocked at how quick the nhs prossesed things, we got 2 tries at full ivf/isci and 2 goes with frozen embros, the only clase is if we go for blastocyst聽 transfer we can only have 1 embro transfered at a time, witch is fine with me,

take care
Donna xx

Premium Member
to FF, Donna!!! This is a great website for support, information, laughter and friendship, it has kept me (relatively!) sane though all my treatment. I don't know how I would have coped without the lovely people here. Have a good look round the site, post in whatever section you want and make yourself at home. There are so many sections here with a huge amount of information, so whatever you are going through there will be someone here to help you.

Oh blimey, sorry to hear that you had such a tough time with the doctors. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and hopefully they realise that you aren't going away! Starting tomorrow?! Good luck! I don't know of anything that you can do that would stop the meds working, so please put that out of your mind. If you aren't responding well the docs will soon increase you dosage to make sure you get a nice crop of follies.

Here are a couple of links that I think might help you.

A Rough Guide To IVF ~CLICK HERE (This is a breakdown of the procedure of IVF which is the same as ICSI up until the point of fertilisation, With ICSI the embryologist injects one good sperm into one good egg, and repeats until all are used. So it gives them a helping hand, with IVF the eggs and sperm are left to fertilise by themselves)

IVF General chat ~ CLICK HERE

ICSI chat ~ CLICK HERE

Male factors ~ CLICK HERE

While undergoing treatment, you might find it useful to join other ladies having treatment at the same time. The Cycle Buddies threads are just for that. Here is the link for the January/February section ~ CLICK HERE

The What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) thread will give you some info on how to navigate the site ~ CLICK HERE

We also have a newbie night in the chat room every Wednesday where you can meet other new members and a few more experienced (I won't use the term "old"!) members will be there to answer any questions you have about the site. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

Please feel free to ask more questions here, or on any other part of the site, there will be wonderful helpful people there to give you lots of support, information and cyber hugs if you need it. We go through all the highs and lows of treatment together.

Good luck! ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Sue ^hugme^

Registered
Hi there

Welcome to the site!!!

I am also new to FF and ICSI. I have just completed my first cycle and currently waiting til the 2nd Feb for my pregnancy test!!!!

I am 29 (30 this year) and hubby is 41. We have fetility issues due to DHs previous vasectomy and then reversal leading to a low sperm count and聽 mortility.

We were passed around from pillar to post too and in the end I contact my local MP who pushed for us to be referrd to fertility clinic.

The actual treatment I found ok, and although the injections seem daunting you will be fine. Just think it's only for 12 days of injecting!!!

Egg collection I found the worst part in that you have a bit of cramp (which still hasn't gone after 10days) I'm hoping that doesn't mean I'm going to get my period!!

I hoep you are successful with your attempt., xxxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts