Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, and this site was suggested to me be a friend of my DH. Just thought i would post to say hi and share my story, and also to see if anyone here can shed any light on things for me.
I'm 29 (till Aug) and my hubby is 38. We've been married for nearly 4 years and together for 8. I have a son (aged 8 ) who he has raised since he was 6 months and a daughter who is now 12, both we're conceived naturally from a previous relationship. My DH and I decided to start ttc about 6 years ago now and given how easily i fell with my other 2 I was expecting it to happen quickly. I had been on the contraceptive injection for 2 years when i came off it and was told it could take up to 2 years to wear off. After 2 years my cycle still hadn't returned so i went to see my gp and was referred for tests.
They initially told me i had PCOS (which they seem to have changed their minds about since) and i was put on metformin. We were referred to a consultant for fertility problems and we both underwent lots of tests. For the past 4 years i have been blaming myself for the problems as the doctors tell me they problem is my weight and hubbys SA results all came back as borderline but not too bad. Every visit to the consultant we saw a different person and they asked the same questions and sent us for the same tests over and over.
Our last appointment we were told that my DH motility is below 20% and the only way we are likely to conceive is through IVF, but they wont refer us until i have lost around 40kg to bring my BMI down to 29. Obviously this news was devastating and we are both really upset by it. At the time we were too shell shocked to think straight when the doctor asked if we had any questions, and since then i've written a list of things we would like answers to, but our next appointment isn't for 6 months :(
I've tried speaking to the GP again, but she didnt seem to have any answers for me, and i've been looking online trying to find out information but i'm getting nowhere. I think in our area (East and North Herts) we get up to 3 cycles on NHS and can qualify even though i have children from a prior relationship but i cant seem to find any up to date info to confirm this. we're desperate to have a child together and I can't stop thinking about it.
I've started on the GI diet (also a suggestion of my DH's friend) and am exercising on the Wii fit, and have lost 6lbs in the last 2 weeks ;D but theres still a long way to go. My DH is going to the GP to be referred to see if there is anything they can do to improve his motility (not sure if thats possible though) but we feel so frustrated and helpless. I just cant understand why none of his previous SA picked up a problem ?? and as i never see the same consultant twice i just dont feel like we are getting anywhere!!
If anyone out there has any info or advice for us please let me know, my brain is in overload at the moment and I dont know where to turn ^eyes^
Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
12,192 Posts
to FF, Lilred!!! This is a great website for support, information, laughter and friendship, it has kept me (relatively!) sane though all my treatment. Have a good look round the site, post in whatever section you want and make yourself at home. There are so many sections here with a huge amount of information, so whatever you are going through there will be someone here to help you.

I was in the same position as you, I had to lose 15 kilos to bring my BMI under what the clinic advised which was 35. They refused to do any investigations whatsoever until it was below that. There is a weight loss section on FF, if you go to "profile" and then "forum profile", under "modify profile" you will see "group membership", there should be an option there to join Belly Buddies. 6lbs in a fortnight is a fantastic weight loss! I love my Wii Fit, you have just reminded me that I have to dust mine off again! ;)

As far as what is "normal" in your area, you could chat to the other people in Hertfordshire, which comes under our Central England section - CLICK HERE I am sure they could give you some valuable help and advice. You might even find people using the same clinic.

You aren´t the first person I have heard of who has been diagnosed as having PCOS, only for the health professionals to change their mind! Here is the PCOS section, just in case they change their mind again! ~ CLICK HERE

Here are a couple of other links that I think might help you.

Secondary Infertility ~ CLICK HERE

Male factors ~ CLICK HERE

The What Every New Member Needs To Know (includes a list of common abbreviations) thread will give you some info on how to navigate the site ~ CLICK HERE

Please feel free to ask more questions here, or on any other part of the site, there will be wonderful helpful people there to give you lots of support, information and cyber hugs if you need it. We go through all the highs and lows of treatment together.

Good luck! ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Sue ^hugme^

1 - 2 of 2 Posts