Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am newly registered to the site, having visited a few times. I find it really encouraging to know that I (and my dh) are not alone. Been ttc for 5 years now, unexplained IF. Have had 3 goes at IUI and have just decided last week to go for IVF, don't meet the Doc till this week so not sure what it all entails. Does anyone have any advice? I've heard loads of horror stories that the drugs make you really moody and you end up feeling sick/arguing all the time - is it really that bad? Can anyone give me any tips? (especially to stop me feeling really paranoid and jealous of other people with babies), We're sort of isolating ourselves at the moment and no one knows what were doing so I think that's making it even worse. Hope to get to know you all a bit better over the coming months! By the way, sorry if I haven't used the correct abbreviations - I'm learning as I go.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Hi Terryann,

Like you, I had 3 cycles of IUI before deciding to try IVF.  I found it very different - I did the IUI on a natural cycle (I just took clomid days 2-6), whereas with IVF they control the whole cycle with different drugs.  Some people do get side effects from the drugs, some dont.  When you see the doctor this week I'm sure he/she will give you lots of information about what the actual IVF cycle involves, but let me know if there are any specific questions I can try to help with.

As for coping with other people who are pregnant or with babies, I have no idea how to stop those feelings of jealousy and paranoia.  I wish I knew!!!  I too have isolated myself from a lot of my friends and find it hard to be around those with babies.  I have told some of my friends a little about what we are doing - I didnt want them to think I had gone all wierd on them for no reason - and mostly people have been very supportive.  Of course you get the odd one or two that still say the most insensitive things - one recently compared my second failed ICSI (like IVF) cycle to a glitch in her kitchen renovation.  I still havent figured out how that is the same!!!  And of course she has a little girl already.

Well anyway thats enough of me going on and on!  I wish you all the best for your appointment this week.  Let us know how you get on and please ask if you have any specific things you dont understand.  IVF can be very scary and confusing - we are here to help you through it!

Love Olwen xx

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Terryann  ^wave^
welcome to ff, it is a while ago since I had my last round of IVF and I think I have blanked most of it from my memory, I do kind of remember feeling pretty ill and a couple of photo's of myself from that period are not a pretty sight, however I went into IVF very quickly after an ectopic preg and I really don't think I was recovered from that, I remember that the nasal spray gave me headaches and the drugs in general made me moody, but it wasn't that bad....for me it was a bit like PMT but over a longer period of time, you know what PMT is like, one minute your down the next your up again, one minute your crying the next your laughing, it is just that unpredictable roller coaster of up's and downs, I really would not let it worry you too much, your DH will understand and just keep reminding him not to rise to anything you say, it's not really you saying nasty things, just tell him that if you get moody just to leave you alone or give you a hug, which ever works for you!
You will be fine, the thought of IVF is always worse than the reality, and people always tend to remember the negative more than the positive,
Good luck
Dydie

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
HI Terryann
just wanted to say hi and welcome you to this site. I know what you mean by isolating yourself - I also seem to be tucking myself away from life and people and have had to start to make an effort to go out and answer the phone!!!!  Cant help you with the IVF but there are lots of threads with people that are knowledgable and I am sure will give you all the advice you need.  What you might find useful, which i did in the beginning - was that at the top of this page on "introductions" you will find a post that gives all the abbreviations and what they mean (I still use it!)
Good luck in your journey :) ^rainbow^

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
^hello^ TerryAnn,

I'm in the same boat as you are.  Me and my DP (Dear Partner) are starting treatment this month too.  I've decided to firstly read up on the treatment as much as i can, so i'm well informed, and just to think really positively. 

Take Care
Emmatt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.