Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All

I am not sure if this site is actually intended for me, but my best friend has told me all about you and thought it would be ok if I joined in.  I am a 30 year old who is currently at the early stages of being an egg donor. There are two main reasons why I am applying, the first being my wonderful friend who has recently lost her beautiful twins. After trying for numerous years they finally conceived the girls through IVF and the joy that we all felt for them was immeasurable.  Unfortunately things were not meant to be and devastation followed.  My friends are in a position where they fortunately do not require a donor egg, but it did get me thinking about all the other couples out there who do.  I also could not think of a greater tribute to the girls than to try and help another couple.

I know a lot of couples have posted messages on here asking for a donor, but forgive me, I would much rather not know anything about a potential recipient other than the fact I had helped. 

The other reason I am following this route is my own father is not my paternal father, although this has never made any difference to me. 

My friends are the most wonderful people, and I know that one day their sorrow will turn to joy.  All I hope at the moment is that I can offer another couple that kind of fulfillment.

PS I have just found out my best friends husband calls me badcat (something about a time I 'forced' him to drink lost of alcohol) hence the nickname!

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Hi Badcat,

Welcome to FF :)

You sound like a very wonderful person..... We do have a small anonymous list that you might like to look through :)

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9617.0.html

If you do go down the donation route then we will be here to answer any questions you have and to offer cuddles if needed :)

Tony,
x

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Badcat
It is a truly wonderful thing you are doing and I just wanted to let you know that.
All my love and best wishes
Jennifer xx

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Badcat,

You truly are a wonderful person and I wanted you to know that a lot of people on her will agree with me when I say you are doing a wonderful thing.

I too have considered egg sharing.  Not for the financial reasons but so that I can stop at least one person out there going through the pain and heartache I am now (possibility of DH having no sperm at all).

Unfortunately I have decided not to egg share when we go for our ICSI as we will only have a very limited number of sperm to work with if any and we will only probably get one shot tat that.  I want to ensure that I have the healthiest embryos possible and would not want to feel negative thoughts for the other person thinking that they had taken the ones that were healthy.  I don't want to sound selfish but I have to give me and DH my all firstly. 

That said though as soon as I finish ICSI (positive or negative outcome) I too am going to donate my eggs (they can take as many as they like).

So good on you girl I am sure that your family and friends are very proud of you.

Lol

Fin

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
badcat,

wow what a wonderfull kind lady you are, you brought tears to my eyes with your post its so heartwarming to know people like you exist thankyou

luv pam xx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear All

Thanks so much for your encouragement, I really wasn't sure if I would be the right kind of person to post on your site, but as my friend said - you're all wonderful.  I feel as though I have stumbled upon a whole new network of friends.  I can see how Winnie thinks so much of you all. 

As with everything in life, peoples views to egg donation is completely different to which ever side of the fence that you sit.  Talking to my family and friends that fortunately have never had a problem with fertility, their responce is normally 'what do you want to do that for?' but then reading some of the messages that you have all written and seeing the pain that my closest friend has had to endure, the answer is obvious - because I can. Don't get me wrong, my family are being supportive, but it is nice to hear from people who understand the process. 

If you have read my friend 'Winnie's' posting, you will know that I am terrified of needles and that I can get - hormonal, I thinks is the nice way that she put it!! So be warned - as Tony offered, I may need loads of cuddles in the future!

PS  - Just as an update, my doctor has written a referral letter to St Mary's and I am just awaiting an appointment to meet them.  I just really hope that I am accepted, otherwise I will feel like a complete numpty.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi Badcat,

Like everyone else, your post brought tears to my eyes.

We will shortly be having ICSI and have decided to egg share too. Admittedly the fact that the financial side will be made a little easier is one of the reasons, the other is due to my DH. When we originally thought retrieval might be our only option for ICSI, my dh said he would consider us having sperm donation if the retrieval was unsuccessful, as it would still be a part of me and he could be with me every step of the way if we were lucky enough to get pregnant. That made me think of the other way around and what would happen if I needed someones eggs, so thats where we are.

Sending you so many good wishes for the wonderful thing you are doing.

Natalie xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts