Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm 31, married with one son approaching 12. We've been trying for a second child ever since our son was and what with all the waiting for appointments have spent the past 2 years under investigations. We knew that my husband had a low sperm count a few years back when the GP did a check. But she advised us that it was still possible to get pregnant as his sperm had good motility, so we wrongly believed that all we had to do was keep trying and be patient.

My husband has now been diagnosed as having Primary Testicular Failure due to mumps as a child (the consultant told us that we were extremely lucky for me to get pregnant the first time). Our only options now are ivf (probably with icsi as count is below 500,000) or DIUI. We are currently looking into egg-sharing as there is no way we can afford the full price of icsi and I want to feel that I have absolutely exhausted every avenue before opting for a donor.

What I find most frustrating about secondary infertility is that people seem to assume that it's okay because you've already got one child. In fact in our case, because my husband has a disability and our son has Asperger syndrome we have had comments such as 'perhaps it's for the best'. But we have always wanted a large family and therefore, regardless of our situation, I believe that my desire/need to have another child is just as strong as someone who is childless.

ooops. This was supposed to be a quick hi, but it seems to have turned into a rant. Apologies.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Rissa,
Welcome to FF :)
I know just how you feel..I have a 10 yr old son from a previous relationship and I wasn't even trying to get pregnant!! I got married in Aug. '03 and just assumed I would fall pregnant as had done so easily before :-[ Silly me !!! After much trying and tests I have tubal problems from infection sometime during last 10 years and now have to do IVF to try for a baby with my husband. I feel soooo fortunate to have my son Samuel who is wonderful , but the longing to have a baby again is so strong and painful, and to have one for my husband who has none. (his 2 brothers have 7 children between them). There is a thread for secondary infertility where you will find loads of support and people in the same boat so to speak.
Stay strong and hang in there,
Wishing you luck
Rachel xx ^daisy^

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hey Rissa & Rachael

Welcome to FF!  It is a great place to be and we are pleased you have joined us.

Wishing you success with your journeys.

If there is anything you need, please ask.

Laine x

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the message of support racheal.

By the way, I noticed your son is called Samuel John. Well my son's called John Samuel, isn't that funny.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi again Rissa,
Great names your son has!! ;D
Good strong names aren't they !....that's what i keep  being told!!...Samuel I always loved, and John is a family name, been down the generations.
Thanks for the post Laine.... :)
Take care Rissa, and good luck with it all,

Rachel xx   ^daisy^

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Rissa,

Welcome to FF, its great here you get lots of help advice and support !!

I hope your journey isnt too long...

Lots of luck Gem
^fairydust^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts