Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Newbie - 2nd SA very bad results...

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Mrs_Gally 
#1 ·
Hi

I am relatively new to FF but have been lurking for a while and you all seem to have so much knowledge and really help each other so have decided to bite the bullet and post!!!

My husband had his first SA done in Jan and we got the results - 9 million concentration per ml; 26% rapidly motile; 6% normal forms and 35% ASAs.  Not great I know but we were hopeful that there were some good sperm there, enough to do ICSI.  We have only just got our heads around it when we got back the results of his second SA.  His results have drastically changed - 0.2 million concentration per ml; 0% motile and not enough sperm to get a correct reading for morphology or ASAs.  To say we are devastated is an understatement.  I don't understand how this can change so drastically in 6 weeks!  Ironically he has been on Fertility Plus for men as well as other vits, nearly totally stopped drinking etc! 

Has anyone else with these numbers had a successful ICSI?  Or does anyone know what could cause such a drastic drop (like a varicocle)?  We are just at a complete loss and numb with shock. 

Thanks in advance for any advice or words of wisdom  :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sorry about your results.

I have no clue what could cause this. I just wanted to say however, that anything you try and do to imrpvoe sperm quantity and qualtiy you need to be doing for at least three months before it has an effect as sperm take three months to be produced.

So hang in there, it may well go up again.

Were you told anything that may have caused this? What has your consultant said?

#3 ·
I'm sorry that the results are not want you wanted.

From what I've been told SA's can vary hugely day to day. We have had 3 SA's with our latest being only 0.6m/ml and 0% morph. We got pg naturally last year so who knows what his count was then?

Even with the low numbers our consultant says there is enough to do ICSI and abnormal sperm do not necessarily have abnormal DNA.

Maybe get another SA done in a few months and you may see the numbers go back up :)

HTH

#4 ·
Thanks for replyin...

Maybe-If- we kinda found out these results by accident as I had requested a copy of our notes to send to another clinic in Dublin where we want to have treatment.  We don't actually have our review until 27 May so I expect we might get some answers then.  It seems very much the way though that fertility clinics don't seem to 'treat' the source of the male issue, rather bypass it with some from of ART.

Louise - thanks for the adivce - it gives me some hope that you were able to conceive naturally and that counts do flucuate.  The hospital have asked for another test to be done on Monday, although I am not hopeful that we would see any difference.

Does anyone know if there are minimum motility / morphology amounts for ICSI?  I am so scared now that we may not be able to have ICSI!

Thanks

#5 ·
We had ICSI when they had only 5 (count on one hand) sperm recovered surgically and they fertilised my eggs. That ended in BFN but it goes to show that they really only do need as many sperm as there are eggs to fertilise and 0.2m is still 200,000 sperm per mil so I'd say that's plenty!!

Lou xx

#6 ·
Hiya

Have just read your post - we too had a "poor" result (read my post looking for others with olizoospermia) and were totally devastated when we were told we couldn't proceed with ICSI HOWEVER DH did a SA yesterday and managed to freeze 1 amp - when the lab checked there was only 3 motile in the tiny bit they looked at but 1 managed to survive the thaw - you only need 1 per egg so we have 3 more sperm freezing appts booked - every little swimmer counts and we are hoping to be given the go-ahead for ICSI in June if we can pull it off again lol !  My DH sample had 0.5 million sperm and only 17% motile but only 29 in total survived the dummy run our consultant put us through hence the freezing (my DH does vary though)  Good luck and keep believing - there is a way somehow - we just gotta find it !!!!

#7 ·
Thanks so much for all the replies.  We have had a chat with our GP and an embryologist at our clinic and they both think it could be down to a nasty flu and fever my DH had a few weeks before giving the sample.  I really hope this is the case, although I am shocked that it could reduce so much!  He has another test on Monday and although it's a bit soon after the last one (3 weeks) we are hoping to see a bit of improvement, esp on motility.  As it stands currently with no motility we are not candidates for ICSI, but not even gonna go there until we get the results on Monday.

This infertility business is so so tough, it seems like once you come to terms with one bit of it, something else seems to go wrong!

Thanks again for all the reassurance and I am sure I will be posting again as we go through this journey!
xo

#8 ·
happyfeet said:
It seems very much the way though that fertility clinics don't seem to 'treat' the source of the male issue, rather bypass it with some from of ART.
I feel the same. As well as my endo DH has low count, motility etc and other than SA his "tests" have consisted of "have you ever had mumps......... have you ever had surgery" No examination, no tests for blockages or anything and GP is refusing to help because now we have had ICSI (BFN) it doesn't matter!!!! It annoys me that because they can get around mens problems they don't even try to find out the reason for it. We have been fobbed off with "some men have low counts" some people have diseases too but that doesn't mean you don't try to treat it!!!! Sorry but it really annoys me!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.