Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There

I have become a compulsive googler for everything to do with fertility; I probably need to go to googlers anonymous rather than post on here.  I came across FF when I started fertility treatment last year.  It’s been invaluable especially when consultants rattle through test results so quickly that I have to come on here and to make sense of them. Most of all it is the amazing support that everyone gives each other that finally pushed me to start posting.

Our first referral showed that blood and SA tests were all normal; they didn’t suggest any further tests and said our best bet was IVF so we were added to waiting list for NHS funding.  It seems mad now to have just accepted this and not to have considered further tests elsewhere. 

We began to realise that we wanted a family and that the biological element to this wasn’t as important so we started the adoption process.  Despite it being such an intensive process it felt like such a positive decision.  We were about half way through and paused for a couple of months as DP was made redundant, and then I got really ill. I had been feeling run down for months, so after a referral I got the shock of my life by being diagnosed with TB, It had been lying dormant since I was a kid and seemingly waited for the worst moment to strike out.  So with an abandoned adoption I had to face 8 months of intensive drugs.  It was absolutely gutting. 

Just as I was finishing treatment my NHS IVF round came through, we had forgotten all about it so we said we would give it one go! Needless to say we are now on the IVF rollercoaster, hurtling towards a third try, and it is a ride that is proving extremely hard to get off.  DP wants one last go and I don’t want a battle with my ‘what ifs’ in the future.

I am still torn because infertility makes life stand still from the moment you realise there is a problem, adoption was the only time when it felt like we were moving forward. I don’t really know what to do for the best.

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
^hello^
& Welcome to FF jaymac ^hugme^

What a dilema! Personally I think its great your having this 3rd go via the NHS it will most likely conclude once and for all the direction your journey takes, and hopefully it will be the BFP at the end of that very long 2WW ^reiki^
I am pleased to read the support on here has promted you to post,
I am also sure you will soon be cured of your google addiction and suffer with a new adiction called FF ;)
I am going to leave you some direct links to boards here on FF - that you may or may not have found, I would like to encourage you to post in these areas to build friendships and support from members who really do have an understanding of your situation, You may find there is an active running thread for ladies having treatment at the same clinic as you check both the ICSI & IVF boards as we don't have separate clinic threads for each

While undergoing treatment, you might find it useful to join other ladies having treatment at the same time.
The Cycle Buddies threads are just for that.
You will fnd a thread, usually with a funny/inspiring name for this year's buddies.
Just pop along to the appropriate month and say "Hi" when you are ready.

For Cycle buddies -
CLICK HERE

What can improve egg quality and quantity~
CLICK HERE

Adoption & Fostering
CLICK HERE

And don't forget to have a bit of fun while you are on FF and check out the general chit chat / jokes / hobbies area
G&B – Community Fun board
CLICK HERE

You can also chat live in our excellent chat room.
We have a newbie night in the chat room every week (Wednesday at 8pm ;)
where you can meet other new members and get Chatrrom support
and help to navigate the site and using all the functions available here. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

Take some time to look at the help tab too ;)

Check out the Locations boards for where you live & a site search for your clinic ;)

Wishing you Friendship ^fairydust^ & ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
^goodluck^ Dont forget to let us know how you get on!

If you need any help just ask!

~Dizzi~
^willy nilly^

·
Registered
566 Posts
Jaymac,

First of all, welcome to FF.  I'm really happy that you have found this site, you will soon be addicted and forget all about google  :)

You will find lots of support on here from others who are in a similar position and Dizzi has left you some really useful links.  My siutation is somewhat different to yours but your story struck a bit of a chord with me as I feel we were rushed into pursuing IVF without really pausing to consider other options first.  Doing things a little bit back to front now as it didn't work out for us.

I'm also so sorry to hear about your tb and hope you are fully recovered now  ^hugme^

Good luck with your final cycle of IVF.  I know you are feeling a bit torn but if you have set it as being your 'last go' sometimes that can be really positive in giving you closure.  If it doesn't work out at least you can move forward with other options but hopefully it will be all you need anyway  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Wishing you lots of luck

Foxylady x

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. 

Only one NHS funded go unfortunately, it was going to be the only try but it was disastrous with zero fertilisation.  We wanted to try again privately with ICSI if anything to see if we could get fertilisation.

I can definitely identify with doing things the wrong way round.  We tried adoption first, then IVF  and now having switched clinics and are finally being offered some tests.  When you start out in this journey it is not obvious that clinics can vary so much.  We were referred to our first clinic by our doctor and I really liked them, but now I feel that their policy of not testing and 'one size fits all' treatment wasted our time and money. 

Incidentally we have just had some results this morning which may make our decision easier, am off to scrutinize the male factor boards

J
X

1 - 5 of 5 Posts