Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone feeling a little low to say the least.  I thought I had a chance and since yesterday it seems to have been pulled from underneath me in the space of one phone call.  I have gone through the menopause early.  We had been trying for years.  I tried to get help but it was always blamed on previous contraception or stress then decided to take matters into my own hands when things got worse and I started to feel overly emotional and unwell.  I just couldn't cope with myself and then night sweats started. I went privately for blood tests and my FSH levels were extremely high 40 plus at times!  This was monitored for some time but only once did it lower then went to normal high levels.  My consultant at the time decided to perform an anti mullerian test and the results showed that I had no egg reserves at all and it was unexplained.  I was told that I had obviously been peri menopausal and now they felt I was going through the menopause or almost gone through it and had POF.  Apparently they thought it had been going on for many years without realisation - well I did try with the NHS too but was written off.  For the past year I have been taking HRT via patches. These were not working well resulting in migraines and I sought more advice from a fertility clinic in the UK (Tunbridge Wells) who said they could offer egg donation as most waiting lists were up to 3 years.  My HRT was changed to tablet form and this has really helped.  I needed to have all my screening tests and scans before I could receive egg donation which would be 3-6 months wait we couldn't believe it.  I have had all my screening tests, I needed rubella vaccination and I had that done and waited nearly 3 months to ensure I was safe and immunised so couldn't start the programme till then.  I called the clinic this week and they have informed me that they have removed their egg donation programme.  I don't understand really why as they seemed to have such a good success rate.  Does anyone know? We are of course very upset about this and were hopeful of treatment and also because the costs were reasonable we thought we had a chance this time.

We are now thinking of Cyprus.  My friend offered her eggs as all my other friends are starting families or too old.  When I came back from visiting her in USA she told me she found out she is pregnant. I just feel no matter how I try it comes to nothing. I feel i'm running out of time but I still can't accept the fact I will never be a mum yet.  I am 41 I cannot believe I had no eggs, and feel my body has failed me and I'm so old. I blame myself sometimes is it something I did?  Good days and bad.. mainly when friends tell me they are pregnant i feel my loss all over again.

Has anyone here been to Cyprus?  We are on a really tight budget now. I've spent money on private consultations, investigations and some clinics are just way out of our price range.  I looked at ISIS.  Can anyone offer advice or shed any light on costs and waiting times? Or any advice/support at all I feel very alone sometimes with this I don't think anyone but you ladies out there going through these things understands.

Thank you so much

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh my word, its rruuuuuuubbbiiissshhh isnt it! Dont be too hard on yourself, dont blame yourself unfortunately things go wrong with the human body all the time and it just so happens that our eggs have packed up and left the building. I questioned my past too i.e binge drinking etc but all my friends did the same and none of them have had a problem like mine - a couple took a while but got there after about 1 year.  Im 36 and my amh is low at 3.2, we've been trying for nearly 3 years and are currently on our third ICSI cycle.  Had egg collection yest - 8 eggs, 7 suitable but only 1 fertilised so or odds are low to say the least......

I find it the most tough when friends get pregnant too, i have 4 who are at the mo and to be honest Ive avoided them all for the last 3 -6 months. 1 is due next week and i havent seen/spoken to her for about 6 weeks as I just cant face it.  I just have to think that they'll manage just fine without me in their lives for a while.  Think they may have more important things goin on!

Youre not running out of time, women much older can get pregnant especially with DE.  Ive not looked that much at Cyprus but my cousin went through early menopause at 39 and went to Barcelona and now has twin boys so Ive been having a bit of a look at their website.  I think its around 6,000 euros.  Reprofit in Czech rep is very competitive price wise but they have about an 8 month wait whereas many of the others can start you off pretty much straight away (depends on finding you a match).

Hope this helps and remember its never too late

Zxxxx

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
Hi Borisko and ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Have a look over here for info re tx abroad, it is broken down by country so you can have a look through and I'm sure your questions will have already been asked and answered :)

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=261.0

Louise36 - I hat a cliche as much as the next person but it really, truly only takes one! ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ for ET honey

Good luck to both of you!
xxx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts