Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm a newbie here and so long I have found this website with so many people really understanding what I am going through.

A bit of background knowledge on me, I'm in my mid twenties and recently got married, I've been with my hubbie for five years and he's supported me throughout the last five years coming with my to hospital appointments and now has come the time that we really want to look seriously into having children. 

At 18 I was referred to the hospital as I hadn't had periods and I have very minimal pubertal growth.  After initial tests they found that I wasn't producing any female hormones and that I had a very rudimentary womb.  My bone structure was also that of a 12 year old so I had very delayed pubertal development.  I was placed on the contraceptive pill to give me artifical hormones to kick start my body into developing properly in the hope that my body would "catch up" with itself.

Fast forward nine years and several investigations later I was taken off the pill to see how far my body had come.  The treatment I was given was yearly visits to the hospital, taking the contraceptive pill and a few ultrasounds in order to see the size of my womb. 

As it stands now my body has caught up with itself in terms of breast growth, bone development etc but I still only have a very small womb (about 3 cm) and having come off the contraceptive pill I now do not have any periods (I had withdrawals whilst on the pill).  I have now been referred to the Assisted Fertility Unit for more intensive tests and assistance in order to help me get pregnant.  There are issues in that they are not sure whether I could technically carry a baby and as I do not have AF I have been told that I would need help in this matter at all.  I'm not sure the state of my fallopian tubes or ovaries and the doctors cannot understand why my body clock is not kicking in and making me ovulate.  Recent blood tests show that I have very low hormones and this is one reason why I do not have AF but the doctors are not sure why.

I'm quite apprehensive now I've been referred to the AFU as I know it will be much more intrusive and I don't know what to expect, and I don't know whether anything can be done.  The hardest thing to deal with is all the Ifs and Maybes and no-one really being able to tell me whether I will (Or definitely will not) be able to have children.  I'm quite scared particularly as I don't know what to expect from the AFU and also on how much pressure it will put on the relationship with my husband. 

Just wanted to share my experience and wondered if anyone was in a similar situation or could give me some insight into what to expect from the AFU.

Thanks all

Red Pepper

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hay pepper

Im sorry to hear about your problems and decided to reply because like me and my dp you seem to have an unusual fertility problem and I know what it is like to post a message and get no feedback.  Dont get me wrong everyone is great and very supportive but we more unique folk need to stick together too :).  We have the oposite problem in that it is my dp who doesnt produce any hormones and therefore no sperm. In our experience being a bit rare has had a good effect on our treatment as we have been flagged up as an interesting case and therefore we get the full attention of the docs.  On the downside it quite difficult to get relevant info.  Keep looking around in here and im sure that someone will be able to suggest some good websites.  The other thing to remember is that although the reasons for the infertility may differ from couple to couple the feelings are the same and you are NOT alone.  Good luck

Cloudy 

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Red pepper and cloudy

I was reading your messages and feel I wanted to write and acknowledge your feelings of having 'unusual' fertility issues.  I am a person that can not understand or give advice to your exact situations but I can really see how you may feel both in FF and also in clinics and the wider community, and I wanted to write so you knew people did not ignore you  :)

RedPepper - I wish you luck and positivity on your journey, the fears you have are understandable and infertility treatment does put alot of strain on people, but it also brings many opportunities to learn about yourself. about your relationship with your partner/husband and may bring unexpected 'positives'. 

Thinking of you both. Good luck with your journeys..wherever they may take you  ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hello Red Pepper & Mrs Cloudy
Like Pennycat I am not in your particular "Club" of unusal infertility but I just wanted to let you both know that we are all here for you, and we do understand your emotional side even if we don't understand your medical bits!

Redpepper .. we have all been in the position of If's and Maybe's infact the entire route of infertility is filled with them, I know it's really hard to deal with and you just feel like screaming at the Dr's to make them tell it to you straight  ^tantrum^ it is really frustrating, but whatever the outcome there will always be help and support and advice on the different avenues for you to go down right here at FF.

With regards to your relationship with DH, I like so many others on here am struck down by the "NOTHING" condition, every time he asks me whats wrong that is the answer I give, even though I have millions of things running around in my head, it is hard work to keep the lines of communication open between you, but that is the most important thing!
If you can keep talking with your DH and laugh about all the really personal, intrusive stuff it will really help you both, this journey has the power to make your relationship MUCH stronger providing you keep talking  ^phone^

Good Luck
Dydie xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.