Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Been reading the entries and thought I should join up.

After trying for a few years with no success, now under Mr P at RBH. We have gone through 2 cycles of ISCI and now thinking about the various donor options. Mr P tells us to keep trying the ISCI but with low fertility, our ages, and at £5k a time, the chances are not good :(

I would be interested in hearing about people who have gone down the donor route - either good or bad. The Wessex recommend Spain but I am looking at other destinations in Europe.

BTW - Does it get easier dealing with the disappointment? Last ISCI turned out to be Bio chem which we weren't told/warned about.   

Thanks
C.

·
Registered
302 Posts
hi there, are you looking egg or sperm donatation.

natalie. :)

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Hi Cazywaz and welcome  :) ,

Sorry to hear of the rough time you have been having. I don't know much about treatment involving donors but if you come and post on the Chitter Chatter Thread then someone will be along who will be able to help you. Also have you looked at the donor sections of Fertility Friends?

As for it getting easier....... not necessarily. It's just different each time I suppose. I always found it easier to cope when I had something else to focus on after a failed cycle - either a holiday or planning the next go. Everyone is different I suppose  ^hugme^

Look forward to getting to know you

Sarah xx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
Looking at DE + ISCI.
Have an appt later this week at the Wessex to discuss DE in Spain.
The mentioned it to us at our first appointment and they seem well organised. Its knowing what to ask etc.

Now to work.. :(

Cazywaz

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thinking of you Caz

Wendeth is the best person for DE on this particular thread, my view is through sperm donation  but as Sarah says try over on the donor threads, lots of us have made the tough choice.  But thourally worth all the heartache in the end. 

Take care and Welcome
x

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi Caz, if you need any info from the point of a donor im more than happy to chat to you. I donated my eggs so can talk to you from the point of a donor. just message me.

regards natalie.x

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hi Cazy, yes the spanish clinic the Wessex recommend are clinically excellent and have a large filing cabinet full of potential donors, including blond hair and blue eyes, and short waiting lists but at a cost of about £9000. I did find their bedside manner poor tho, and their admin staff are rubbish. Expect to be kept waiting for responses to emails, talking to different doctors each time you visit and be prepared for no sympathy. They operate a business out there.

I had 3 tries at this clinic and evenually ended up at Reprofit in the Czech Republic. The Wessex were just as accommodating as if i had been in Spain in terms of prescribing me meds, scans etc, and the clinic in Brno is wonderful, caring, and compassionate. And i got pregnant the first time with donor eggs out there. Let me know if you want more info. They cost about £4000.

Wendeth x

UPDATE: the clinic the Wessex now recommend and work with is a different clinic to the IVI and does not cost as much, and i have it on good authority that they are lovely and caring and have an excellent success rate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Wendeth
Thanks for your reply. I have read about Reprofit but concerned that I would have to understand all the drugs/processes etc - saw a thread where people were discussing/comparing drugs - I had no idea what they were talking about!

How did you find organizing it and checking everything was covered? What about all the genetic type tests - did you have to specify chase this?

Caz

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hi Cazywaz

I don't understand what you mean by genetic-type tests. All donors are tested for all genetic illnesses, if that's that you mean. It's standard.

As for the confusing meds, here's a quick outline of what I did:

From what I remember, I was taking the Pill to control my cycle anyhow. About 21 days before Donor Egg Collection, Reprofit want you to use a down reg drug injection affectionately known as your Depo shot. I honestly can't remember how I got this drug or its name!! What I do remember tho, is that Sarah P at the Wessex adminstered the injection for me. it was a powder that had to be mixed with a liquid. This injection is so much easier than doing 3-4 weeks of daily sniffs of that nasty nasal spray Buserelin that I had to do in Spain. Downregulation stops you from making any of your own hormones, so your cycle is effectively controlled. Forgive me if i'm teaching you to suck eggs and you know all this.

After my bleed 4-5 days later I went straight onto estrogen tablets (your doc might prescribe them if they are sympathetic otherwise the Wessex might), mine were called Progynova but there are all sorts and Reprofit will prescribe the brand they use but you can use any estogen-only (HRT) tablet as long as the estrogen levels are the same prescription. This will build up your womb lining artificially.

On the day of donor egg collection I started with the progesterone. The progesterone maintains the womb lining.

You have to continue using the estrogen and progesterone based tablets/pessaries or injections until your test day, 2 weeks later. If you are pregnant, you need to continue these medications until week 10 of your pregnancy, so you will need a lot of meds. If you get them from the pharmacy in Reprofit, you must make sure you get enough to see you through to week 10.

Reprofit are, especially Stepan, efficient and Stepan will answer emails normally within 48 hours. This was my 5th donor egg cycle so I knew what to expect, altho my first at Reprofit.

With donor eggs, you down-reg, you build your lining up, you maintain it, you have embryo transfer, you keep taking meds and wait and hope you're pregnant. You don't have to do the IVF meds like Puregon, Gonal F, Merional, Fostimon or Pregnyl.

There are a variety of meds to use for a donor egg cycle. If your GP can prescribe any, here's a list I found on another thread for help so you can translate them into something your GP might prescribe:

Meds used for downregging (gonadorelin/GnRH analogue depot injection):

Diphereline depot 3,0 mg
Decapeptyl depot 3,75mg
Lupron depot 3,75mg
Enanton depot
Gonapeptyl depot
Procren Depot 3,75
Menopur
Prostap

Meds that can be used to build up your lining (Estrogens/Estradiol valerate)

Tablets: Estrofem 2mg, Provames 2mg, Progynova 2mg, Climaval 2mg, Estrace 2mg, Estrimax 2mg, Progynon 2mg
Patches: Estraderm TTS 50,100ug , Estrahexal 50,100ug

Meds that maintain your lining (Gestagens)

Capsules: Utrogestan 100 or 200mg , Prometrium 100 or 200mg, Progeffik 200mg
Pessaries:Cyclogest 400mg,
Gel:Crinone gel 8%
Injections: Gestone, Agolutin

Medications that may be added to your treatment : Prednisone 5mg tbl, Baby Aspirin 75mg tbl, Acid Folic, Heparin 5000 IU or any low molecular weight heparin (ie Clexane)

Stepan didn't want me to do any scans, unlike Spain who wanted down reg scans and lining scans. I already knew that I formed a good lining on progynova so didn't worry. If you are worried about your lining growth, the Wessex will happily perform a scan. My first scan was the day after we arrived in Brno, the day of donor egg collection. It does seem very lax if you are used to being scanned and looked after, but this is what keeps the costs of Reprofit so reasonable. However, Stepan actually gives you the date of egg collection so you can plan your flights and hotel and book time off work without the stress of just 48 hours notice, which is all you get from the IVI (we only had 24 hrs notice but that's another story).

The clinic were also happy to take the embryos to Blastocyst stage without any additional costs.

When you initially contact Reprofit they will email you back with some forms to fill in. One of these forms ask you for your own height, weight, eye colour, hair colour and skin colour, plus your education and hobbies. One form asks for your medical history, including previous treatments, medication and asks questions about your lining thickness, details of your last transvaginal ultrasound and its findings (ie, cysts, fibroids etc) and the third form is a list of tests you need to have done: if you're over 45, have a mammogram; transvaginal ultrasound to measure thickness; results of partner's sperm analysis; results of HIV, HepB & C, CMV and Syphilis tests (all results should be less than 1 year old).

You pay for your treatment AFTER your transfer, you only pay a deposit up front.

Other quick info, so you feel really informed:

Flights booked via Ryan Air. You go via Stansted direct to Brno.

Directly outside the Brno airport to the right is a bus stop which will take you right outside the Grand Hotel where the line terminates so you know you're in the right place! - no stress at all - it's number 76 I think. You buy your ticket (about 60 CzK) as you enter, but then must get it stamped inside the bus to validate it. Takes about 15-20 minutes from airport.

There's loads of information about Brno on Fertility Friends - follow this link: http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=347.0

Hotel: The Grand is fab and reasonable - it's a 4 star with huge all you can eat breakfasts. Book via gta hotels (just google) for a great deal then upgrade via the hotel itself nearer the time to a 'superior' room. Much more spacious. or Contact the hotel directly on : Grand Hotel Brno, Benešova 18-20, CZ - 657 83 Brno, Tel: 00420 542 518 136, Fax: 00420 542 210 345 email: www.grandhotelbrno.cz . They all speak excellent english.

The number 1 tram leaves from outside the Grand Hotel and takes you almost right outside the Clinic. It's only 10 mins or so on the tram. Very easy.

Czech Republic uses Czech Kronas not Euros. Pay for everything in Kronas not euros, including Reprofit and you get a much better exchange rate. We took about £300 worth of Kronas with us, and used our cards a few times and had plenty of money.

It is possible to fly home on the day of your transfer. The flights home are late afternoon and transfers are done in the mornings. The maximum amount of time from EC to ET is 6 days but I would recommend staying at least 8 nights to be less stressed!

Blimey, that's my evening gone! I hope the above is a bit useful and not too much information. Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Cheers, Wendeth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts