Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to search for the answers on this forum but haven't seemed to turn anything up (I'm probably not looking in the right places) so I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea. This is my first cycle of IVF, we were given the choice of April, May or June so we went for June. What I haven't been told yet, (& forgot to ask among all the info & form signing) is when do you start down regging? Does it depend on the person or is it at a particular time in your cycle? And also how is it determined whether you will be on long or short protocol? Lots of questions I know!! Thanks for any help & advice :D xx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi

Welcome to the IVF club!
You start down regging on day 21 of your cycle with a long cycle. Your doctor should advise you re the short or long protocol, but if I were you I would opt for the short protocol, as it is much easier on your body (and mind), in my experience. 
I have done 4 short cycles and 1 long, and I would always opt for a short cycle.  For me, the long cycle took over two weeks longer than a short one, and for some people it can be much longer than that.
The short cycle fits in with your normal monthyl cycle. You dont have to down reg, and just start stimming straight away.
Im waffling now!

Hope it helps.
Andrea x

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Andrea, that cleared up a few questions :D  However, I do have just one more; where abouts in your cycle do you start stimming if your only doing the short protocol and is it your choice whether to do long or short? xx

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
No, usually you will make the decision in conjunction with your clinic.  Poor responders often do Short Protocol only, however Long Protocol is used more if you have irregular periods as it gives the clinic more control.  Similarly some clinics use LP as routine because it gives them more control.  You can express a preference and see what your Consultant says though.

If you're doing SP you would usually start stimming on Day 2.

Axxx

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sooooooo glad this forum is here, I'd be going stir crazy with all my questions otherwise! lol Thanks again, I know my clinic will obviously go through all this with me nearer the time but I'm just too anxious to get going & too excited by it all, hence the questions! xx

·
Registered
43 Posts
It should be your choice but I am not sure what your clinic's view is.  My clinic started me on the short cycle, and I only did a long one because I did CGH last time, which is genetic testing on eggs. They wanted a long cycle so that they had better control over the whole procedure.

Your clinic may prefer you to do a long if you are expected to respond well to the drugs. I think they sometimes use a short cycle for expected poor responders.  I would ask your doctor which is better suited to you, but if they say either, then I would go for the short. It may be that they long is better for you, and the docs know best.

On a short cycle, you start stimming on day 2 of your cycle, and you talk another drug alongside this to stop you from ovulating. When they think you are ready for egg collection, you take another shot that loosens the follicles so that they can remove them at egg collection.  Basically, you begin the short cycle at the beginning of your period.

With the long cycle it straddles over 2 of your monthly cycles (starting on day 21 of the first cycle). They shut down your ovaries etc and then when they are happy that you downregulated, they start you stimming. It then works pretty much the same as the short.

Andrea x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts