Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18, I am now 33. My husband and myself tried for 12 years to have a baby and I was never offered any treatments, except for the pill to help regulate periods, I tried this for a while, but didn't want to for too long as obviously I wouldn't fall pregnant. My symptoms were and are severe, Lots of excess body hair, hair loss, weight gain aand large spots on body/face.

Anyway, I had a baby girl in April of this year by Emergency C Section. And this was with no fertility treatment! I really do think i Fell for her because I ate lots of iron rich foods before conception. It was a nightmare when I woke up from the operation! The pain was awful for weeks, but saying that I would do it again for my beautiful baby!

Sadly with PCOS the symptoms don't disappear after having a baby and I am at a loss as what to do next!

It's really getting me down and depressed because I have been on numerous healthy eating plans and joined a gym for 6 months and I only lost 2lbs in all that time!

But baby keeps me going, and I know this site is for trying to conceive parents, but I stil feel strong about the way us PCOS sufferers are treated and would like to talk to others who are in the same situation

Hope to talk soon
Mary x

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Mary

Welcome to FF. I too have severe PCOS i have a little boy who will be 3 in January. He was my second attempt at IVF. I agree with you that PCOS sufferers arent taken too seriously, when it comes to the excess hair.
So pleased you have had your baby and naturally it gives other sufferers hope.
We do have a PCOS board if you would like to speak to other sufferers. http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,13.0.html

Love Kimx x x

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Mary
Welcome to FF., I have suffered from sever PCOS after being diagnosed with PCO in y teens, despite having only one partially functioning ovary now, I still do have quite severe symptoms.
It was lovely to heard that you do have a beautiful daughter.
Like you and Kim, I also suffered from excess hair, now I usually bleach it but I too found anyone other than my gynaecologist never took me seriously, not even my mum.
I am very very fortunate to have a fabulous gynaecologist who has a special interest in pcos so have been on various meds on and off for the last 2-3 years, currently on metformin., just started that just waiting to see if it does anything.
Sending you lots of love,
Chick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Mary,

I have severe PCOS too, have you tried Metformin? it does help with the weight loss with a low carb diet and it has also been said to limit the excess heair too.

Good luck honey!!

Gem

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Gem,
Thanks for the welcome :)

I saw my Doc yesterday and was expecting a battle on my hands for the Metformin! But fortunately I saw the new Doc and he was well aware of the benefits of Metformin for PCOS, so I now have the prescription!!

I was so shocked he thought it was a good idea!

I have decided to star them in a weeks time due to the fact i'm off to spain tommorrow so don't want to take any chances in case the side effects kick in lol

anyway thanks again :)

Mary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.