Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm Jo, new to the site and so glad I found it! Manged to post this message on the Berkshire board first! Hope I can get the hang of it.
Feel pretty clueless about all this really   ???. Basically DP cancer survivor, luckily he banked sperm 2 yrs ago told only suitable for ICSI.  Recently seen GP and had progesterone test but I only scored 11, doesn't think we can be referred for anything on the NHS and I feel lost! My test will be repeated next month. Is there anyone who has been in a similar position who could give me some advice? x   ^help^

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
hi jojo and a huge big hello ^wave^ ^wave^ ^wave^ ^wave glad you found it here its great and am sure you will get loads of support. I really was sure that if your DH was a cancer survivor and they ahad banked sperm that you would def get IVF/ICSI on the NHS. You should def look into that
hope all goes well, good luck
K XX

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Buster

Thanks so much for your reply, I will definitely look into what you said. I think my GP is a bit unsure about IVF/ICSI so your comments are really helpful! I will take it up with him.  I love the pic of your dogs!  :)  jo x

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Hi Jojo

Firstly, welcome to FF and glad you've found the site. It is a fab place to chat to meet others that are going through or have been through fertility treatment and gain support. It has certainly kept me sane, well almost ;D

I'm not sure why your doctor thinks you may not qualify for treatment on the nhs, has the doctor given you any reason for this. I think most PCT (primary Care Trusts) fund atleast one IVF treatment in all or most areas of the country. If you ask the doctors for the tel no of your local PCT and contact them they should be able to send your their criteria, often this may also be on the web. Generally, you have to be under 35 years of age, no other children, BMI under 30. Maybe you would qualify for the IVF, but would need to pay for the ICSI element?

Here are some links which I think will be useful to you;

Starting out & Diagnosis ~
CLICK HERE

What Every New Member Needs to Know ~
CLICK HERE
For the ICSI board -CLICK HERE

ICSI - Questions for your first cycle consultation ~ (use the ones that apply)
CLICK HERE

Fertility through Cancer - CLICK HERE

I am going to leave you some direct links to boards here on FF - that you may or may not have found, I would like to encourage you to post in these areas to build friendships and support from members who really do have an understanding of your situation,

That should keep you busy for a while! However, don't forget to have a bit of fun while you are on FF and check out the general chit chat / jokes / hobbies area

G&B - Community Fun board
CLICK HERE

I'm glad you have already found the Berkshire boards, infact you will probably get your question answered there re your PCT and funding. It's a great place to meet up with local peeps undergoing treatment at the same clinics of you and if you fancy that sort of thing alot of areas have meets etc.

To make the site easier to navigate click on the index tab at the top of any page - pink hearts mean there is something new within the board you have not read/looked at and if you scroll right down you will see the last ten posts from all over FF all are clickable ;) if you refresh this page (f5) it will update the last ten posts as well as the boards/threads and who's online!!!
take some time to look at the help tab too ;)

Wishing you lots of ^fairydust^ and ^reiki^ and look forward to reading some positive news from you soonx

Louj x ;D

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
^hello^
& Welcome to FF Jojo
^hugme^

LouJ has given you some wonderful advice and links, be sure to check them out. I would like to encourage you to post in these areas to build friendships and support from members who really do have an understanding of your situation, You may also find the HFEA Website helpful in getting the treatment you need, I'm not sure about progestrone levels, I would do a site search and see what it throws up - as I know its mentioned often.

HFEA Website
http://www.hfea.gov.uk/en/1131.html

Meanings ~
CLICK HERE

FERTILITY INFO GUIDES
CLICK HERE

Check out the Locations boards for where you live & a site search for your clinic ;)
You may find there is an active running thread for ladies having treatment at the same clinic as you check both the ICSI & IVF boards as we don't have separate clinic threads for each.

Wishing you Friendship ^fairydust^ & ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
^goodluck^

If you need any help just ask!

~Dizzi~
^willy nilly^

·
Premium Member
13,830 Posts
Hi Jojo and welcome to the site :)

You have come to a fantastic site full of advice and support.

Sorry to hear what you and your DP have been through but great that he banked some sperm :) You said you posted on the Berkshire boards - are you living in Berkshire? As i live here and as i am under 36 years old i was not eligable for NHS treatment - i would have had to pay for it privately. Although a friend of mine on this site is in the same position as yourself that her DH had cancer and they banked sperm so they pushed for a free cycle of ICSI on the NHS and got it and now they have a lovely little boy so always worth pushing to have it free on the NHS because of your situation. Good luck with everything.

Kate xx

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Hi JoJo

I'm sorry to hear about your DH's cancer, but wonderful news that he was able to bank sperm...

Good luck in your journey.

Bev xx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just want to say a great big thanks to Buster, Louj, Dizzi squirrel, Kamac and Bev for all your really kind comments and suggestions.
To Louj I have found my local PCT on the web and their guidelines say that we are entitled to 2 tries at IVF on the NHS- which is great news! I'll be following this up with my GP.
To Dizzi squirrel i've searched re progesterone levels and found some really usefull stuff, which is great!
To Kamac thank you for your kind support, I don't live in Berkshire- I live in Lancashire! I'm just daft and posted in the Berkshire      board by mistake (not very computer literate! ??? ).
To Bev thank you for your kind support.
I can't believe how helpful everyone has been, I feel really positive now. ;D
Thanks ladies
Jo x

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi JoJo

to FF :) I am sure you will find this site of such great support to you.

Sorry to hear about your DP ^hugme^

Not sure what Progesterone tests you have had, as we didn't have these done, so sorry I can't help you with these.

Wishing you lots of luck

x x x x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you scooby!  :)
Jo x

·
Premium Member
13,830 Posts
LOL jojo - at least you made a post and someone pointed u in the right direction!

Loads of luck with everything and i really hope you get that awaited BFP one day :)

Kate xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts