9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi am looking for anyone starting or waiting to start
Would be nice to make some cycle buddies x

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi,

Were having our teach on 24th October, have you got any dates/started treatment yet? Were having ICSI, im excited and nervous, how are you feeling?  :)

x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I am also new to this forum. I have my teach appointment on 25th October, so excited to get started. We too are having ICSI. X

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi
I'm really happy to find someone with practically the same cycle dates as us :)
It's all happened really quick for us as my partner has had his sperm extracted and stored 2 years ago. I'm not sure what his problem is called but the tube that carries it from A to B hasn't formed hence our journey through ICSI. We had our first appointment in May bloods and scan and then had the follow up 3 months later, signed the consent forms and here we are ready to start. He had tried with a previous partner a few years ago, had problems and tests etc and found the cause. So where I say it has happened really quickly for him it's taken years.

Are you having the long or short protocol?
Lovely to hear from you
Gemma x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Gemma,

Yes it's nice to share the journey with someone who will be experiencing it at similar times. That's brill that you have got so far, so quickly. We had our first appointment just over a year ago, I feel really lucky, from reading different posts, I can see that some couples have been waiting much longer. My husband has Cystic Fibrosis and has a blocked tube (which happens in almost all male CF's)  so I imagine we are going through the same process. Now I have my teach booked, I feel like things are moving a bit faster...

I am having short protocol, how about you?

Mel x

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Mel,
I'm having long protocol so it's about 30 days in total of injections for me  :( it will all be worth it I'm sure, not sure my fella is looking forward to the idea of injecting me though ha, I can't do it to myself I'm squeamish! I'm panicking a bit though because 2 days after I start my injections I'm going to Dubai with mum for a few days and Emirates haven't been the most helpful trying to help me find a solution with carrying the treatment, they are happy for me to take it on board with a letter but they said that they wont be able to store anything in the fridge and I can take a cooler bag with the gel in but this mustn't exceed 150mls of gel!

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? I'm from Rochdale so travelling to St Marys isn't too bad for us.

x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

Wow I don't envy you having to inject for 30 days. Loving that your passing the pressure of injecting to your partner haha. My DH is diabetic and I use to laugh when he was first nervous about injecting (I know that sounds so mean), now it's getting closer to me having to inject myself, I'm sure I'll be just as apprehensive. I'll have to 'man up' and get on with it. He's very supportive so no doubt he will help all he can. Really looking forward to the teach and understanding a bit more of what everyone is going through.

Hmmm, you would think that Emirates would chill them for you. I wonder if they don't allow the responsibility in case anything goes wrong with the treatment? I hope it's not too difficult to keep them cold for you.....how frustrating.

I live in Blackpool, not too far either, although its an early start for the morning appointments because of the traffic around the Trafford centre and coming into the city. All worth it though :)

I'm presuming this is your first cycle/try of ICSI? Have you told any of your friends and family?
Xx

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hiya,
As you can imagine I was quite disappointed with emirates but I've found a cooler bag for insulin, you might of heard of them if your partner is diabetic, they are called frio. Hoping I'm not going to be too hormonal when mum has paid all that money haha!

Is St Mary's the nearest for you, I imagine going in morning traffic can be a bit of a pain but it can take us 40 minutes to an hour.

Yes this is our first cycle of ICSI, is it the same for you? When I rang up we got accepted on month 2 of funding being approved, they told us it would most likely to be on month 3 so we were well shocked when they rang back  :) how many months have you been ringing up for? Were lucky to be given 3 attempts on the NHS, my brother and his wife are currently waiting for a decision to be made as to whether they can have funding, the board were having a meeting last week to discuss their case and are waiting a letter, my brother has a rubbish count and the quality isn't brilliant, she's got a child from a previous relationship which is why it's not straight forward for them. I broke the news today that we were starting next week, I can't imagine it went down well and felt really guilty as I have a child from a previous marriage too but Martin would need ivf regardless which is why we got funding. Will this be your first child?

Xx

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's brill!! I've never heard of Frio, I just told my hubby, good to know for holidays/hot weather....Thanks :) The holiday will come at a great time, although you'll be worried about the meds etc, it will be great to spend time with your mum and relax in the sunshine. 

I think there are other IVF/ICSI units just as close/closer but if I'm honest it was my husbands CF unit that referred us, and we've always been told by them that it would be St Mary's. I also know another lady who I used to work with and she also had treatment at SMH so I figured we would too be under them. Can't complain so far, they have been lovely.

Yes, I amazingly got accepted on my first request for treatment, was not expecting it as I have read on here of so many women being told no. I didn't get my hopes up, so I was so happy as I'm still young and expected them to say I had to wait longer. It will be (fingers crossed) a first child for both of us :) We too get 3 NHS funded cycles. Thats great that you were also accepted quickly. Good luck to your brother...I'm sure he will understand and be happy for you....there will come a time when you will be supportive for him :)

We've only told my hubby's parents and one of my very close friends (also my boss who is a mutual friend - for the same reason of needing time off work, she is thrilled and totally understanding which is good). It's nice to have a girl friend to speak to about the lady things. I wanted to keep it a surprise for my family and hopefully I can deliver some good news around x-mas time!!

Xx

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes we have found all the nurses lovely too apart from the odd one who I have wanted to drive down and poke in the eyes lol! Hope she doesn't get on the wrong side of me when I'm hormonal ha!

That's brill news that you also get funding for 3 cycles, fingers crossed we won't need all 3 :) we too are young I am 30 and Martin is 32. We too are hoping to be delivering some exciting news around Christmas time, hopefully a very sober Christmas for us both  :) So on what day in your cycle do you start injecting? I have to start on day 23 - 7 days before I'm due on. When we went to our appointment in August to sign the forms etc we got told we were starting the short protocol and explained what will happen etc but then when I rang up she said we were starting the long protocol so had to do some reading about it on the internet - not always the best idea, I've diagnosed myself with all sorts of illnesses thanks to google previously haha!

I'm looking forward to a few days away, were just going for 4 days, it was my 30th present off mum and dad and it was already booked before all the ivf appointments, it's not ideal the situation but luckily it hasn't fell when egg collection is due or we would have to cancel it and lose all that money.

How hard is it keeping all this quiet, it's killing me haha!

Xx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Gemma,

I'm off out this weekend for a big girls night out, hoping to get very drunk and feel totally crappy the next day....this way I will say I'm never drinking again and will love being sober throughout the treatment haha :)

I start injecting on the second day of bleeding. I'm due on my period approx 3 days after my teach so I'm hoping all goes to plan and I can start pretty quickly. I read in my broucher about long protocol...but wouldn't know why they choose one over the other? Apparently I have high hormone levels and am at risk of OHSS when I start injecting....I looked on the internet and read you can be hospitalised in serious cases. Sometimes the Internet isn't a good thing lol. I'm super laid back though, so never get worked up about these things....what will be, will be, I say :)

Do you already have a date when you start then?

So hard keeping it quiet.....lots of people I know are finding out they are pregnant recently....I'm just like arrggghhh!! Haha xx

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Mel :)

A girls night out sounds like the best way to celebrate your up and coming journey! Time to let your hair down and have a good old boogie with the girlies. After all it might be the last time you can do it for nearly a year ;)

I'm not sure on the exact day I will start injecting, they told me 7 days before my period and the date of the teach will be exactly 7 days so I'm hoping I'm one of the ones who has their first one their and then carry on at home. So I'm assuming I'll be starting on the 24th if that's how they do the long protocol??

Wish I was laid back like you! I'm a stress head and worry myself sick over stupid things haha! I'm going to have to learn to channel it better over the next few weeks and learn to chill out. I'm worried about how Martin will be though, he's not very good at dealing with other peoples emotions and as we know ours are going to be all over the place. He is very emotionally selfish - his mums words lol!

Any other plans for your last 'normal' weekend? I'm going to have my last night drinking on Saturday, just a quiet one with Martin and maybe visit his mum and dad, just taking it easy  :)

Xx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts