Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My DH and I have just been referred to the Queen Mary Hospital in Roehampton for IVF.  It seems (although hasn't been confirmed by a doctor) that we will be having ICSI treatment because the problem lies with my DH.  Does anyone have any idea/experience on potential waiting list timescales? I want to know in order to help us decide whether to stick it out with the NHS or to go private.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks. x

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Toffeecat,
I don't know about Queen Marys but we are on the Wandsworth and Merton waiting list and have been for 3 years!! We were told the wait was 2.5 years when we went on list. In the meantime we had private treatment and now have a baby - apparently you stay on the list until your turn coms up and then you tell them you have a baby and aren't eligible anymore (hence were still on it) Queen Marys may not be so long, I guess you could ask roughly how long it might take. Personally I couldn't wait and also felt that time wasnt on our side - I was 34 at the time and had quite a high fsh. It's a personal descision and age is a factor too. I was going a bit mad at the time and needed it to happen for my sanity. So now were £5k in debt, hey ho. Good luck with whatever you decide
Jx

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
We were told by our consultant that IVF now comes under the 18 week wait for treatment rule so you shouldn't wait longer than that. Whether they manage that is another matter but it should speed things up for a lot of people.

It meant we got our first appointment in about 3 months - but we only get one go, as that's the only way they could clear the list.

Hope that helps

Heather

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was on the Wandsworth list for two years when my name came up, but by then I already had a baby so was ineligible.  Like others below, I wouldn't wait.  Once you have a baby, you won't care that you and not the NHS paid for him/her!  And if you don't have luck on your own, you always have the NHS freebie to look forward to!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts