Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right... where to begin... well I was booked in for an induction on Thursday 24 March but my girls had other ideas! :eek:

On Monday 21 March I went to the loo at about 4.45pm and when I got up to wipe I just kept trickling... (nice!)... thought it might just be incontinence (!!) but it just kept coming in gushes so i thought it must be my waters so rang the hospital at 5pm who said to go straight in to the assessment unit. When I got there I was leaking greenish fluid which they said was my waters with some meconium in it so i was taken straight to the delivery suite as this can indicate stress in one of the babies...

7pm in delivery suite was examined and was not dilated but my cervix was effaced. Was strapped up to heartbeat monitors for both babies and all was fine. Babies were both head down so I could go for vaginal birth. By 10pm I was 3cm dilated and they decided to start syntocin hormone drip to increase my contractions. I was just using the TENS machine at this stage and thinking it wasn't too bad (the pain!) .... little was I to know...by 12.30am I had progressed to gas and air (which is great by the way although can make you feel a little drunk and sicky initially but bear with it as that feeling wears off!). By 1.30am the pain was too much and I asked for an epidural. Unfortunately it didn't work straight away and I had to have 3 top ups!! By 6am I was 7cm dilated and then by 7am I was fully dilated. The epidural had finally kicked in and I couldn't really feel much below the waist at this point apart from a bit of a tingly sensation.
By 7.30am the doctors were getting a bit antsy and I'm not quite sure but i think Twin 1 (Megan's) heart rate had either increased or decreased but they wanted me to start pushing and they would assist with a forcep delivery. Unfortunately I had to have an episiotomy but I really didn't care by this stage!!!

Megan Lily came into the world and had a little cry at 8.01am and I had a cuddle with her first before she was whisked off to the warmer. She weighed 5lb 3oz.

The doctors then had to hold Twin 2 (Abbie) in position just in case she turned and I had to start pushing when my contractions came, which by this point I could just feel again, although not really painful. They used a ventouse assisted delivery for Abbie.

Abbie Rose was delivered at 8.30am weighing 5lb 9oz but I didn't get to cuddle her straight away as she wasn't breathing properly so had to have some oxygen, but she was fine after a minute or so... but god how i panicked!! :eek:

I didn't lose too much blood but they did have a problem stitching me up as i kept leaking blood and they couldn't find from where so i was on the delivery table with feet in stirrups for what seemed like forever although was only about 45 mins.
I got to cuddle both girls after that and then I breastfed them which was a great feeling.  :)

We were in hospital for a week because Megan lost about 10% of her body weight after 3 days as my milk didn't come in til day 4 but they are now both thriving and I am so proud of myself as I am breastfeeding them both at the moment and they are doing really well.
They both also had a touch of jaundice but everything ok now and we got home yesterday afternoon which was so nice.

Can't think of anything else to say really but the hospital really looked after me and it was great having my own room on the ward!! :)

If anyone (especially twin mums to be) have any questions please feel free to IM me if you want.

Thanks for all your good wishes to those who posted!

I will try and catch up with everyone else's news ASAP!

Love Nicxxx

·
Registered
937 Posts
Congratulations Nic! It's really interesting to read your natural birth story, never having been through any of it. And you're doing really well to keep going with the breastfeeding. And yet more twins that share a birthday with my two - I now know of 6 sets with the same birthday, albeit not all in the same year.

Abbie and Megan look beautiful.

Jules

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Nic
Lovely photo and loads of congrats. I gave birth naturally to my twin girls who were just under 1lb lighter each than your two so I know you did good!!  I breastfed mine for about 8 weeks which I was pretty proud of but there is another twin mum on here who I think breastfed for over three months so it can be done. Congratulations once again.

Flakey, Scarlet & Phoebe xxx

·
Registered
133 Posts
well done and big congratulations.

can i ask how many weeks you were??

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sure .... i was 37+2 weeks... so not bad! I was pretty huge though so they were deffo ready to come out! :)

Nicxx

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Dear Nic

Well we were at the ARGC at around the same time and we managed to deliver on the same day. Your two beautiful girls are absolutely gorgeous and I love the names.

Congratulations to you and Dh and give some big cuddles to those girls of yours from me and my boys.

lots of love
Kerry

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Nic - well done, those girls look absolutely gorgeous. Great to hear the breastfeeding is going well too (and that Flakey did it for 2 months!). You and DH must be on  ^cloud9^. Will IM you for more photos!
Love and hugs to all 4 of you!
Jane
XXXX

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Fantastic, Nic - great to hear all about it and that you are all home safe.  Great weights and well done on the breastfeeding!  And they look so cute in the pictures.

Do you mind me asking how they kept twin 2 in place?  This is something I'm a little concerned about as I know 2nd twin can get all giddy in its new space and start hurtling around all over the place!

Hope you and dh are enjoying your girls and look forward to hearing more in the twins thread.

Must be some bizarre cosmic vibe going on with all the twins born on that day!
Have you got any more pictures?
xxxx Morgan

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Aw

perfect just perfert

Love Mini xx

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Hi Nic

Wonderful pic of your gorgeous girls!

Great birth story too, you did well with a natural delivery and doing really well with the b/f!

Think they have ready made boyfriends in KT's twinnies!

Love Sue
xxx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.