Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked loads but I'm having a terrible time brushing L's teeth right now.  A month ago he was excellent and had no problem but he's cutting his canine teeth and they are taking ages to come in (I can see them under the gum though).  So he wont let me get to his teeth with the toothbrush, he holds his tongue over the bottom ones and purses his lip for the top ones so I cant reach those.  He only has 6 but they still need cleaning!

I bought him a battery toothbrush last week to help (plus various flavours of toothpaste) and that did for a couple of days but he's back to his old tricks.  I let him brush them first and we play a 'cleaning' game so I pretend we are cleaning the house and upstairs is his room and downstairs is where the dogs are etc etc ( ^idiot^).  I'm at a loss, I dont know what else to do to make it fun.  Today I had to pin him down and do it which he hates but the moment I let him go he laughs at me  :mad:

Any ideas?  He has some tartar on one of his bottom teeth which I cant get off (its hard) already so I dont want his teeth to get worse. 

Thanks xxx

·
Registered
479 Posts
my two go in phases depending on the teething situation. I persevere through it, screams and thrashing about and all. It lasts a week and then it gets better again.

Abby

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Abby,  after reading yours and the above thread too I feel better for it.  I hold him to do them but still try to make it fun - he doesn't scream or anything, just wants the brush himself!

I dont know, a head strong male who wants everything his own way and is always right.... must take after daddy  ;D

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Hi
What about giving him a sticker or something every time he is a good boy :p

I am a dental nurse and we get asked this loads of times.
We do say they have to be held or even wrapped in something to have them done (I feel that is a little harsh) but they do need cleaning, so persevere :)

Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jo,

Thanks for that, I feel they need to be done too - I'm not sure about the 'self cleaning' thing!  His certainly dont and he already has a little bit of tartar on one of his front teeth where I guess I missed it a few times.  That and the fact that pain relief  medicine isn't sugar free here either I think... well it certainly doesn't advertise it as that.  So if I give it to him in the middle of the night he's got that in his mouth until after breakfast.

Today he wouldn't let me do it at all but we went to look out the window and he did it a bit himself so I over congratulated him and he let me do his top ones!!  He'd eat a sticker - he's that kind of kid!!  I will look for a treat of sorts though for him... I'm sure I'll think of something...!

I hope like Mrs Winky says its just a phase and when this new round of teeth have cut through he'll be better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts